Notices

Hi All....

Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All....

I'm new here and I have to say I'm scared. I started drinking when my mom died in 1987, but over the past year have started drinking not only my nightly bottle of wine, but beer or vodka during the day. I care enough about myself to want to quit but where do I start? Cutting back? I am too scared of withdrawal to go cold turkey. I'm also still at the stage where I'm not sure about going into a detox facility because I am ashamed of myself. I know I have to do something. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by MuttisGirl; 08-21-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Correct format error
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck, have you tried seeing a doctor, they may be able to prescribe somethting to help whilst you quit . Im going cold turkey and i its abit hard but ivde promised myself if i mess up then ill go doctors
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's normal to be scared at this point when you are planning to stop drinking. Cutting back is really impossible for alcoholics. Most of us, me included, have tried to do that numerous times. For me, I ended up being in a worse situation, each time. I do think cold turkey is the way to go for alcoholics, but you should always talk to your dr before doing so because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be ashamed. Shame just makes you drink more, or it did me anyway. Be angry or whatever else you have to be to motivate yourself to go. You don't have to do inpatient necessarily either. Like the lady said, talk to your doctor.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MuttisGirl View Post

I'm also still at the stage where I'm not sure about going into a detox facility because I am ashamed of myself.
Welcome....No need to be ashamed of that...That's what they have them for...I drank like you described...I had to detox safely...And follow that with a program of recovery...AA worked for me....We aren't bad people...We are good people...With a bad problem....Find a solution that works for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MuttisGirl Please have an honest talk with your doctor, he can best advise you. Be proud of yourself for taking action!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MuttisGirl

I was terrified of withdrawals too but found it hard to cut down. I couldn't do it for long anyway. If you can cut down your drinking everyday then that is a good start but do be strict with yourself and set an end date. Talking to your doctor is best x
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MuttisGirl

You're definitely among friends here - we understand
I agree that seeing a Dr is best...especially if you're worried about withdrawal.

D
Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR MuttisGirl,glad you are here.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So happy to meet you, Muttisgirl. It's wonderful that you've decided to take action. I know you can do it, because I drank all my life and finally am free of it. SR helped so much, because I knew I wasn't alone any more.

I hope you'll get advice from you doctor, as the others said. My blood pressure spiked dangerously when I quit.

Keep us posted on how you're feeling - we care about you.