SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   ugh I remember this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/265934-ugh-i-remember.html)

gincognito 08-21-2012 06:54 AM

ugh I remember this

It's week three today. I'm very irritable for the second day in a row. Having a real hard time being in the office. I can't concentrate and I keep looking for ways to escape and coming back to the most immediate and affordable, booze. I remember this about previous times getting sober, it gets harder the longer I go, though I think it changes a few months out. I love my morning meeting but I feel like **** the moment I leave. Think I'll go down to the street and have a smoke for the third time today.

:cries3:

Anna 08-21-2012 07:30 AM

Week three was tricky for me too. I was surprised that I had gotten that far and wasn't quite sure where to go from there. However, once I got past that point, things began falling into place. I expect that the anger you're feeling will begin to dissipate as you continue your recovery. :)

TorontoGuy28 08-21-2012 07:44 AM

Do you attend AA ? Talking about this out loud has always helped me.... If not AA, perhaps a counselor ? However, it is very very normal to feel the way you do so early on.... Hang in there !!

gincognito 08-21-2012 07:50 AM

AA meeting every single morning at 6 AM! I love it while I'm there but like I say, I feel like **** as soon as I leave. I've been working on building a network of calling and texting people for outside the meetings but then I feel guilty for burdening them with my whining and complaining!

Originally Posted by TorontoGuy28 (Post 3542452)
Do you attend AA ? Talking about this out loud has always helped me.... If not AA, perhaps a counselor ? However, it is very very normal to feel the way you do so early on.... Hang in there !!

NoFireWater 08-21-2012 10:11 AM

Whine and complain here-we get it :)

I had a really hard week 3 too-I was cranky, tired, and sick of thinking about drinking and not drinking all the time. Weeks 4 and 5 were better, and that's as far as I've gotten...

bbthumper 08-21-2012 10:25 AM

I can relate.

I found that when I quit drinking, I had a brief period where things got really great and then life started happening again. THings just got worse. Irritable, discontent and restleess. Meetings seemed to be the only place I was content. The solution? The steps. Meetings are great, but unless I work the program, Im not going to get the results that I am promised. I cant be sober and happy on fellowship and meetings alone. Action is necessary.

Glad to hear you attend and enjoy your daily meeting. You have a sponsor?

gincognito 08-21-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by bbthumper (Post 3542622)
I can relate.

I found that when I quit drinking, I had a brief period where things got really great and then life started happening again. THings just got worse. Irritable, discontent and restleess. Meetings seemed to be the only place I was content. The solution? The steps. Meetings are great, but unless I work the program, Im not going to get the results that I am promised. I cant be sober and happy on fellowship and meetings alone. Action is necessary.

Glad to hear you attend and enjoy your daily meeting. You have a sponsor?

Yeah that's right isn't it. I've been through this before, but I started writing on the steps again. I've never had much luck getting a sponsor proper and when I have it didn't work at all. But there are people I talk to a lot, one guy in particular who I chat on the phone with and an older lady who I'm in touch with every day and who is very supportive.

bbthumper 08-21-2012 10:58 AM

Cool!
If you got someone who you already are talking to regularly and find to be supportive, ask them to sponsor you. It is so important not to dely the program for too long lest our alcoholic minds get the best of us again.

Best wishes to you.

Mcribb 08-21-2012 12:25 PM

I try to pray for patience. I have days and weeks where I seem to be on edge. I pray, I take it easy on myself, I write, I Scribble, I talk, I help others, I go for walks, I fill my mind with positive thoughts and if negative thoughts enter I attempt to let them go. I do all of this because Sobriety is a gift to myself. I work hard because I want sobriety is a gift to myself. It is hard work to stay sober. It is work that isn't always physical. It is often mental work that I never understood. It is tough, but once things turn around and you take a clean sober breath filled with peace. You will be happy you did the work.

IndaMiricale 08-21-2012 03:49 PM

Thank you for posting :)

Those beginning weeks and early months were hard for me also,, thats when I would tend to relapse.. Being to well to fast ..

I am with BBThumper its all in the steps .. :)

Use those people that you talk to you, they want to be used ;)

Hevyn 08-21-2012 03:58 PM

Hi gin. I remember week 3. My moods were unpredictable. If you can get past this phase things will lighten up. I know it's hard to be patient, but you can do this. Proud of you for getting this far - hope writing about it helps take some of the anxiety away.

May tomorrow be better for you. Let us know.

RevivingOphelia 08-21-2012 05:12 PM

Yep, week 3's suck.

gincognito 08-22-2012 06:02 AM

**** **** **** **** this is just getting worse and worse WTF OK thanks that helped a tiny bit

benice 08-22-2012 06:21 AM

Hang in there! See if you can find a way to channel it so that you don't blow up at the wrong people. Chew gum, take walks, drink lots of water...

Don't give in. It will pass...

Mcribb 08-22-2012 07:41 AM

Plenty of support groups for you to be loved and to love out there. Keep moving forward. Without struggle there is no progress.

gincognito 08-22-2012 07:45 AM

ol monkey mind is really playing some good tricks today...whatta roller coaster

Lost3000 08-22-2012 07:49 AM

oh my gosh my first month was whacky. Emotional roller coaster days and exhaustion. I remember sleeping a lot, eating a lot. I didn't get a sponsor until 2 months in, but at that point I felt ready and not before. I relied on my husband (non-drinker), other alkies I met, and meetings. I tried to be kind to myself and not be so restrictive with my diet and going to bed early. Keep it up!!

ZiggyB 08-22-2012 08:11 AM

I got a journal so I wouldn't have to whine and complain at people all the time and could just write it down, I think sometimes that helps. I've been trying to quit drinking as well as ending a very toxic relationship. Although in my case I think sobriety is helping me to keep my head together. :)

Admiral 08-22-2012 10:11 AM

These things come in cycles, for me it happens at night, I get the urge to go to the liquor store and sometimes it's quite strong. They'll show up every night for about a week, and then the obsession fades. Just remember that they will eventually come back, enjoy the good times but keep your guard up and be prepared. You can fight them off, and every time you do it will be a little easier next time.

candi7 08-22-2012 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by gincognito (Post 3542384)
It's week three today. I'm very irritable for the second day in a row. Having a real hard time being in the office. I can't concentrate and I keep looking for ways to escape and coming back to the most immediate and affordable, booze. I remember this about previous times getting sober, it gets harder the longer I go, though I think it changes a few months out. I love my morning meeting but I feel like **** the moment I leave. Think I'll go down to the street and have a smoke for the third time today.

:cries3:

If I have really hard days I go to more meetings, but I found in the first 1-2 months I had to journal till the crap got out of my head. It's really hard at work when we sober up... keep your head up and run to an AA meeting...