Notices

30 day keychain?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 day keychain?

I go to different meetings of the week. my 30 day clean time will be this friday.
when they call 30 day I go up and get my hug and 30 day chain. What about my other meetings do I go up and get a 30 day chain after friday? Or just friday meeting?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well first congrats.

First rule dont go and say anything till at the day of your sobriety. Second you only need one coin. And by the way they are not trophies for you to keep. They are milestones. So when you make your 2nd month , make sure YOU give yours to the person behind you. With that fist month... and so on .

I go to at least 7 different meetings a week also, have for 14 months. I am lucky to have so many to choose from , so it always something new to do. But just think how ridiculous it would be for me to carry 7 coins around.

Good love, Inda and Stay on the Beam......
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with announcing you have 30 days in your other meetings...You should and be proud of that....You can just say you got your keychain or chip already at another meeting....But take the applause and get a hug...That won't hurt you....Good for you!!

PS....No offence Inda....But you can keep any chip you want...I couldn't believe I made it to one month...That was a miracle for me...I kept mine....I also have 14 months sober. Get a sponsor and work the steps.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Let me re state , for sure announce it at other meetings ... I never meant to not say anthing scream to the roof if you like.

And sapling no offense taken,, thats cool you kept your month. I guess I should restate that also.. Please dont keep them all, for me it was the 24 hr coin I kept....

Thank you sapling for keeping me in check.

And I have a sponsor and a co sponsor but I dont think that was part of the ps to me ?

And congrats on 14 months
Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I got several coins for almost each 30 day milestone from different meetings. I made sure I turned them back in after a while.

The coins are to show the newcomer it works.

Bill W. wasn't a fan of applause, it just blew up the ego again.....

My applause is for a power greater than I.....

The only coins I have are my 1 year coin at this point and a special coin my grand-sponsor gave me with the first 3 AA'ers and a saying on the back: "Recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic"...(something like that)
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't realise I needed to return the chips? I carry them with me to remind me how far I've come. I get my 3 month this week, and was just planning on keeping it!
Glad I know that now, it makes sense to return them, it can lead to an exaggerated sense of self-pride which probably isn't a good thing x
Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Jeni ,

The coin concept was started by Sister Ignatia. She handed them to the men leaving the hospital. And said if your going to drink , make sure you come back and turn it in before you do, NOT AFTER. You see the medalion is a commitment to God, AA , and Recovery.

That is how it started. She is one of my absolute fav's in AA history.

But it is nice to keep the ones that mean alot to you. But it sure is a lot more fun to give them to someone else that made it. To so freely give away what was given to you.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really like the idea of handing them back so they can be passed onto the next person. It really makes sense of that idea of one alcoholic helping another x
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are no rules on coins...A lot of groups don't even give them...You can hold onto the ones you have and pass them on to your first sponsee if you want to....Whatever works for you. They are for the newcomer to see the program works.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

This is also true their are no rules in AA....

Except the one Rule 62 lets all do that one today.