Notices

Trying not to drink today

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying not to drink today

I was going to not drink until Friday to see if I could do it. Now I don't know how I am going to resist on day one.

I have only been abusing alcohol for 2.5 years. Life events are the reason I turned to alcohol.

I really think that if I can break the 6-9 16 oz beer a day habit, that I could go back to social drinking. I hope so anyway.

I am getting ready for work. There is one 12 oz beer in the fridge that I am trying to resist. I should go poor it down the drain but I am not sure I will.

I cut back last month to 2 16 oz beers a day for 3 weeks and felt and looked better (de-puffed). I wonder if I can do that again to begin with. I didn't stick with the portion control when I became sick with the flu. I felt like crap so I drank to numb it out.

Anyway, gotta go get ready for work. I'll let you know if I drink the beer.

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

We don't condone drinking on this website.. personally If you have to fight the urge to drink before going to work, you have more of a problem than you think. Moderation is something that us alcoholics can't do. If we could, we wouldn't be here on this board. If you can't make it one day, you may want to think about quitting for good. Sober life is good.

(((hugs)))
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't worry about Friday or setting up lengths of time to be sober. Just don't drink today.

If you make the decision each morning, to just not drink today, one morning you'll look back and realize that you've strung a few years of todays together
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drinking the beer. I am shakey b/c I drank extra yesterday.

I think I'll start with posting how many beers I have a day.

If I have to tell you that I drank 9 tall boys I will be pissed at myself. So this may work.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I personally don't really care how many beer you have a day. I'd much rather hear about how many you didn't have.

If you want to drink, that's your business. If you want to quit, then we can help, but you need to decide
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thx, just saw the replies.

Britt, If you don't condone drinking on this site then I'll not be posting to try to quit. Bye!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

KittieKat - Britt wasn't trying to be mean, nor was I. We're trying to tell you that your methods of cutting down have been tried and have failed. We're trying to tell you NOT to drink. THATs what we're about here.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

What I meant was that we dont ENCOURAGE people to drink or try to moderate.. that's not what this site is about. I truely didn't mean to offend or come off mean. I promise. It sounds like you have a problem.. moderation won't fix that. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by KittieKat View Post
I really think that if I can break the 6-9 16 oz beer a day habit, that I could go back to social drinking. I hope so anyway.
Looking in your rear view mirror before you back up is a habit. Drinking before work...is much, much more serious than the word "habit" implies.

If you want to end the cycle, we'll be here.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

KittieKat, If you found this place, you are probably feeling the need to seek help with your drinking. It's a good first step. Drinking before work, and drinking that many oversize beers daily are both signs you do have a problem with booze. It's more than a habit, and you are probably not ever going to be a "social drinker". Reporting how many beers you're drinking here is not a good idea-it may encourage others who are truly trying to stop. Keeping a private journal may accomplish the same goal without tempting other people.

Definitely stay here and keep posting if you really want to stop drinking. You'll find a lot of encouragement and help. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

KittieKat

Try not to have any tonight and none on weekend. If you are not struggling it means you are fine. If you can't resist, then there is a problem, that is hard to accept.

Like me, I did not admit my problem until I could not cover my alcoholic face with any more makeup. It was visibly unhealthy. My only way to stop drinking was to quit and have none even on weekends.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Britt, I am so sorry for my response this morning. You didn't deserve that. Obviously I am on edge about this.

Fred, thx for your replies and I didn't think you were being mean either.

NFW, I agree with you about the reporting of drinks and that is not a good idea here. I realized that after I wrote it and was off to work.

Thanks you guys for your support.

I am scared b/c I don't know why I can't go without. Before 2.5 years ago it was a non issue. Its like I am all wound up if I don't have it. I guess I need to figure out a way to get through the first day of that wound up feeling. Man, its not even worth it! I feel like crapola, I am all puffy, my side biz/hobby is being ignored b/c of day drinking, my blood pressure is up, I can't sleep b/c my poor adrenals are on overdrive at 5:00 am.

Thanks for letting me ramble, it is just good to finally say this stuff 'out loud'.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

More power to you if you can drink in moderation... I sure know this alcoholic has proven time and time again that its impossible.

I always drank socially ...... Whenever someone said I will have one ... I said so shall I

Just a thought I like to share is this thread, maybe it will help even a bit. .

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"So this may work"

You really think so ??
Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

I tried for years to drink my way to moderation. I failed.