Notices

Helping others helps us

Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Helping others helps us

Last night, I got a phone call from an AA friend who had fallen off the wagon and was sitting on the sidewalk in front of a bar she had just gotten thrown out of. She was coherent enough to realize that she shouldn't drive, so she called me and I went and got her and took her home. It was a mess from there ... helping her into the bathroom so she could throw up, holding her hair back so it didn't get vomit in it, putting her into bed, listening to her incoherent ramblings .... it SO broke my heart. But it also reminded me of what I used to be like and the life that I don't ever want to go back to. EVER.

Nobody understands an alcoholic like another alcoholic. I was grateful that I was able to be there for her and take care of her, and it was also good for my sobriety in the sense that it made me remember where I had come from. I don't think I've ever felt as much compassion for someone as I felt for her last night.

That's one reason SR is so helpful to me and my sobriety ... I can reach out and help others. And it's a beautiful thing to watch the rest of you helping each other. We get it when nobody else does.

I called my friend this morning and of course, she's feeling pretty horrible but her determination to get and stay sober has been renewed. I'm grateful I can be a part of her support network. I told her she should join SR and I hope she does. It's been a big part of my recovery and I think it can be of help to her too.

You guys rawk. Just sayin'.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DS, you are a remarkable person and a real inspiration to me. Thankyou for your post xx
Old 08-18-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Jeni, I can definitely say the same about you. You've been an unwavering source of support to me. Hugs and thank you. xx
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad she has you as a friend, desertsong. I bet she feels so lucky to have you.

I agree... SR helps me every day - I don't know where I'd be without it now! It's wonderful to see people helping each other... it's very inspiring and also comforting to know that I can come here and not be judged for my past. I love it here.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's awesome DS....One alcoholic helping another.....Simple as that.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What was the reason why she got kick out of the bar? You general don't hear girls getting kick out of bars like guys do.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Desertsong,
You did the right and compassionate thing. Did you ask her what led her to pick up a drink? Early in sobriety I was so worried about relapsing I wanted to know what feelings thought led to picking up.
good on you Desertsong

love
CaiHong
Old 08-18-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. I think it is a great lesson to people in recovery programs who advocate not getting involved in this way, to see from your example how positive such a negative experience can be.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post. It reminds me of the gift of recovery. I think back to all of the times when I was drinking that if I were to get a call to help, I may have wanted to, but would have been in a condition where I couldn't.

I love being able to be me every single day with no days off.

Great Job!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love under your user name it says ... Choosing life

That is 100% accurate. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i give SR a lot of credit for my success in sobriety so far. SR has done what $4K of rehab alone was unable to do. because i come here every day and have an opportunity to share my experiences and maybe, hopefully help someone. every time i post here, i know i help at least one person. i help myself. i hope i am able to help someone else. that's why i encourage new people to come here and post. they may feel like they don't have anything to offer the community but they're wrong. seeing someone come in and post something just to get it off their chest makes me feel better. it makes me feel good to see people using this site and giving people like me the opportunity to help. also, what would this place be like if new people never came in and posted their problems? sad. every "hello. i'm new here and i'm scared" thread is a joy. it's another person reaching out. it's a reminder to us about where we came from and an opportunity for us to help. they're not sad threads. every one of them had joy in them. because they are here and we are here and it is meant to be.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your friend is lucky to have you, DS.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post. My friend is struggling too. I tell her she is trying which is so important and she says how much she loves me for caring.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Thank you for your heart felt post... again I am crying--you guys seems to have that effect on me. I was almost about to do that Friday morning, and this room and AA helped me. That could have been me tonight! You are a great friend, desert song!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I remember the days of getting punted from the bar..... all the good intentions tuned bad. The good person that I was becoming so pathetic...
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Nobody understands an alcoholic like another alcoholic.

And that is why I am a proud member in AA. Well done girl. Those in your face things are such powerful reminders of not only the disease, but humanity brings me right down to earth and humbled to be where I am.

Beautifully done grits.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

desertsong you're a wonderful friend. I'm so glad she had you to call and trusted you enough to do so. That can't have been easy for her. I think she would benefit from SR and hope she does come aboard. Just knowing she's not the only one will ease her anxiety right away.

SR is such a good tool for recovery, and such a wonderful community. Some days you need it to just get through the day-reading posts that change your attitude or strengthen your resolve. Other days, you feel strong, and able to reach out to help someone here.