Notices

I will do this!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will do this!

Well....binged last night. My boyfriend has has enough and finished our relationship after too many nights like that one. I have finally had enough. Sick of feeling like this...half alive. Alcohol is costing me way too much. Thanks for all the support and advice on here. I want to start living.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wecome to SR IslaLuna....Alcohol cost me nothing but misery...You're making a good choice.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You've come to a great place for support and useful info. Glad you joined us!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I binged yesterday too. Not happy about it but it is what it is. Went to see a dear friend and we polished off many beers while we caught up and had a great time. Although this was one episode that turned out to be a "good" one, I know it was a fluke and my demon wants me to believe it will always be this way. Well, I'm smarter than that and I know how this rolls. So today, I'm aware and not beating myself up. This early in my recovery I know from reading all of the wonderful posts here that part of the battle is really just understanding our enemy. I do. I realize he is formidable and insidious. And I refuse to let him trick me by giving me one "good" drunk. I will not chase another. I'm on to the little devil Today will be a sober day. Because I can
Have a fabulous sober weekend and don't dwell on yesterday. It is over and done, we can't go back and change it, so look forward with sober eyes and don't let your binge define what you do TODAY.
One day at a time...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR you'll find lots of support here.

I'm glad the title of your post is positive. You WILL do this! I'm glad you are determined. There's no magic way to get sober but having willpower and a belief that you can do it is very important, I think.

Wishing you all the best. Keep posting - it really does help.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome IslaLuna! In the long run, I think you will find that last night was a blessing (if it keeps you sober). Stick close to these forums when your feeling vulnerable, they help a lot. Good luck and we will see you around!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Hang in there. Sometimes we have to take a step back to go forward. This site has been very helpful for me and I hope that it can do the same for you.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I totally understand, I'm losing my guy in sobriety-I guess me getting better can't handle it.. It's been bittersweet, but I gotta do this for me and get better! I wish you the best my friend, you are not alone.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your helpful comments. I have just been to my first meeting...and for the first time I actually believe I can do this. This is the last time I will feel this hungover, ashamed and sad. Alcohol is stronger than me,,,I have no choice but to finally get that.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you don't have to go through any of that again.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
fgo

Morning. Im 30 days out from my last drink and losing the woman i thought i would be with forever.SHe had enough of my **** to. I woke up this morning and my first thought was how great it was that i would never lose anything else in my life again to alcohol. It put a smile on my face and in my soul. You can do this... Figure out a plan that works for you and stick with it.. it is going to be a ride, but not like the one your putting yourself on now.. A rollercoaster is only fun for so long..
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IslaLuna View Post
Thank you for all your helpful comments. I have just been to my first meeting...and for the first time I actually believe I can do this. This is the last time I will feel this hungover, ashamed and sad. Alcohol is stronger than me,,,I have no choice but to finally get that.
Good for you for going to a meeting...You can do this...And you don't have to do it alone. I felt the same way when I left my first meeting...I had hope...And I haven't had a drink in almost 14 months since. It works if you work it.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Congratulations for chooseing a sober future
Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Alcohol only wins if you don't stop drinking. The instant that you put that bottle down for the last time, you have triumphed. You win over alcohol if you never get into another battle with it. Make that forever choice and take control of your future, make it what you want and be the person that you remember being, the one you know in your heart. You can get sober and stay that way. We all can.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome IslaLuna!

You're making a great decision. The problem with drinking is that the price gets higher and higher (and we get more and more miserable).

Better days are just ahead for you - keep reading and posting!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, here is a brief update. I have been to four meetings this week, and they have been painful, frightening but ultimately positive. So many people have offered help and have shared stories that are my stories too. I cannot explain the relief at knowing I am not the only one who cannot control their drinking at all. I think the relationship that ended mainly as a consequence of my drinking is over for good...but I am proud that for the last six days I have dealt with that hurt without a drink. It has been so painful at times...but break-ups are aren't they? I need to learn to deal with normal feelings in a less abnormal way. I really believe I am on the right track...and I have NEVER felt like that before. I have also been reading all the posts here...they strengthen my resolve when I am feeling wobbly..which, at the moment is a lot of the time. Thank you. i hope one day I can give back what has been given to me over the last few days.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's good news....Don't be afraid to take that help that is offered...Hang around the women that are working AA...My drinking cost me a 17 year marriage....That was painful...You'll get over it and a new life waits for you...Just keep moving forward and don't drink no matter what....You might want to throw some feelers out there you would be interested in finding a sponsor....That's a great way to get grounded with the program....Nice job IslaLuna!....Keep it up!!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IslaLuna View Post
Well, here is a brief update. I have been to four meetings this week, and they have been painful, frightening but ultimately positive. So many people have offered help and have shared stories that are my stories too. I cannot explain the relief at knowing I am not the only one who cannot control their drinking at all. I think the relationship that ended mainly as a consequence of my drinking is over for good...but I am proud that for the last six days I have dealt with that hurt without a drink. It has been so painful at times...but break-ups are aren't they? I need to learn to deal with normal feelings in a less abnormal way. I really believe I am on the right track...and I have NEVER felt like that before. I have also been reading all the posts here...they strengthen my resolve when I am feeling wobbly..which, at the moment is a lot of the time. Thank you. i hope one day I can give back what has been given to me over the last few days.
I really have to have meetings daily, may go to a second one tonight... You are doing a great job and even though it's hard-it's doable.. Keep up the fight, you are winning!