Notices

New guy. Totally scared.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy. Totally scared.

I grew up in a family where drinking beer between 12-10 was normal.

I'm a heavy drinker a pint to fifth a night and a few beers mixed in. Recently I've had what feel like a heart attack that comes on 2-3 hour after the hangover wears off. I can have a few shots after and feel great.

Im also very prone to anxiety attacks, it runs in the family. Today was scary though. I had numbness in the face and hands. I came home from work ate dinner, had some drinks and i feel great.

Am I experiencing DT's? Can Dt's come on within 14 hours after your last drink? I'd love more than anything to get rid of this feeling. It's been atleast a month where I feel im going to stroke out or have a heart attack after a few hours of working. I drink a few a beers or have a few shots and i feel great. So, I dont think it's a heart problem.

It's gotten to the point where i buy a half pint before work to fight this if it comes on. It makes me feel better every time.

It really scares me that i might have to be drunk all day everyday to feel ok. This is years in the making. Any advice on how to cut down and not have these tingly arm and leg moments?

I work with children and would really like to get away from drinking pints of whisky in the bathroom....
Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Your symptoms do sound a lot like withdrawal symptoms but they could also be warning signs of a serious health issue. I would see a doctor asap, it isn't normal to often feel like you're going to "stroke out" or are having a heart attack.

I'll give you my lame example. My car makes a rattling noise so I turn up the radio, and poof, no problem. Just because I can't hear it anymore doesn't mean I've solved the problem. More likely it means that because I've ignored it, it will cost ten times more than it would have when I finally take it to the repair shop.

If having a couple of drinks "works" to make you feel better, maybe you're just numbing the symptoms and can't feel them anymore. Maybe it is withdrawals and you're just making your body more dependent on booze every time you take more to "fix it". Do some reading on here, and see if you can relate to what others are posting.

You've found a great place to take the first step to get help, and calling a doctor may ease your anxiety because you're doing something to help yourself get better.

You mention you work with children. I hope you're not responsible for their safety as part of your job if you're drinking on the job. I can't think of ANY situation while working with children where you wouldn't lose your job if they caught you drinking in the bathroom.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I used to drink the same amount as you daily. What you may be experiencing is the onset of alcohol withdrawal symptoms (barring any other medical condition you may have). I would wake up every morning with the symptoms you describe and the only relief came with a drink. I would have to run off from work at lunch to have a couple beers in order to feel 'right'. It certainly sounds like you have become alcohol dependent. It may lead to DT's, which is why you should seek medical help.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoFireWater View Post
Your symptoms do sound a lot like withdrawal symptoms but they could also be warning signs of a serious health issue. I would see a doctor asap, it isn't normal to often feel like you're going to "stroke out" or are having a heart attack.

I'll give you my lame example. My car makes a rattling noise so I turn up the radio, and poof, no problem. Just because I can't hear it anymore doesn't mean I've solved the problem. More likely it means that because I've ignored it, it will cost ten times more than it would have when I finally take it to the repair shop.

If having a couple of drinks "works" to make you feel better, maybe you're just numbing the symptoms and can't feel them anymore. Maybe it is withdrawals and you're just making your body more dependent on booze every time you take more to "fix it". Do some reading on here, and see if you can relate to what others are posting.

You've found a great place to take the first step to get help, and calling a doctor may ease your anxiety because you're doing something to help yourself get better.

You mention you work with children. I hope you're not responsible for their safety as part of your job if you're drinking on the job. I can't think of ANY situation while working with children where you wouldn't lose your job if they caught you drinking in the bathroom.
great info, I plan on getting a physical in the near future.

I work at a music store so I'm not dealing with any children personally. Just walking them back to lesson rooms.

I feel like this is almost an anxiety issue. It seems to pop up when I worry about it. I just don;t want to have to be drunk to forget about it.

Perhaps a low dose of xanax would be better than self medicating with alcohol.

I'd just love to be able to work or drive without feeling this way.

I mean i can work or drive while going through these episodes but it's very taxing physically, i get very tired.

I don't want to die. who does? I just hope this is DT's and it sounds like it is. I'll fix it.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

if you are drinking at work....

please talk with your doctor for proper detoxing

glad you are here!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I WOULD NOT recommend Xanax.

It is really addictive. The use can quickly get out of control. You may use it to replace alcohol...you don't want to trade one addiction for another. Anti Anxiety meds may be an option but I'd stay away from Xanax.

I think you should check yourself into a detox program under close medical care. That way a doctor can put you on something and keep you on close watch of what you're taking/how much and how long it's needed.

Detoxing can be dangerous especially when you've been drinking as much as you have. I wouldn't try and stop alone.

Congratulations on taking the first steps toward your recovery!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Danis.

Withdrawal symptoms can be life-threatening in some cases. Please check with your doctor, don't take a chance with this.

Hope to see you here again soon, Take care.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seeing your Dr is absolutely the best move Dan - withdrawal symptoms can be delayed many times yes....anxiety issues can go hand in hand with drinking (and not drinking) too

I'm glad you're here seeking help - you'll find a lot of support

D
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful View Post
I WOULD NOT recommend Xanax.

It is really addictive. The use can quickly get out of control. You may use it to replace alcohol...you don't want to trade one addiction for another. Anti Anxiety meds may be an option but I'd stay away from Xanax.
I heard it was addictive but it was only use for short term and not long term. I was prescriptive Xanax a few years back for my panic attacks and should only take it if I felt like I was really nervous or going to have a panic attack. I got about 30 pills from my doctor and only use about 5 of them. Never got addicted to them but I never found them to work either. But I'm not real kin on pills anyway. Have a hard time taking my multivitamins.

If you do take them, never take them with alcohol. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wow, this forum is exactly what I need.

I'm sure I will continue my day to day untill I get help, but seeing that there is help really makes me feel better.

I felt very alone before this.

My parents have drank everyday since I can remember. My mother has recently had a stroke. Luckily no damage was done. She's fine.

I'd really love to have a healthy relationship with alcohol. I have alot of friend who brew their own beer and love any craft brews.

I would just love to cut back by 50% and tame my anxiety in a more healthy way.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

In the last decade of my drinking career. I had those symptoms also. Although I knew it was from drinking . Coming too shaking , heart racing, sweating ect... So I fixed it with what I knew drinking . Well for me it came to when I had to go to county jail , and went into detox so badly I on the second day the gaurds pulled me out of my cell. Because I was running head first into the cell wall. I was hallucinating and remeber some of it, but I sure didnt mean to do what I was doing. So 2 days after that I awoke in the ICU at the Cleveland Clinic.

I grew up in a family where drinking beer between 12-10 was normal.
Im also very prone to anxiety attacks, it runs in the family.
I am no doctor but I would say that drinking plays the big part of all that.
I had that pretty bad anxiety also , but it was really do to drinking.
For me when I finally surrenderd I was honest with my doctor and told her about being a alcholic, I could of lied(and wanted to because I love valium,zanax , ativan ect.) and got put on benzo's. In fact almost did. But my Higher Power spoke for me and told her the truth. So she put me on Zoloft , and I used that for about 8 months. I no longer need to take anything for anxiety. For me it took , sobriety and AA's steps and fellowship to rid me of those feelings.

Detox is sevear and can be deadly. Its nothing to take lightly . So please see a doctor or facility.

You can be free.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us harboured a wish to somehow develop a healthier relationship with alcohol Dan - I spent 20 years trying to do that. Don't waste the amount of time I did.

If you can cut back - do it and good luck to you
If you can't - accept it.

and...just a reminder folks - no medical advice thanks....

See your Dr, Dan - be honest - lay it all out - and see what they suggest

D