Notices

First SMART Meeting

Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like the idea that SMART actually encourages members, strengthens them, advocates for responsibility for actions and consequences, and teaches life skills.

I like the fact that the US Dept of Health has invested $1,000,000 in SMART to adapt it to correctional settings, and that SMART uses addiction treatment ideas based on actual evidence of how well they work.

I think it's great to hear about SMART, and I would like to learn more about it.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I like the idea that SMART actually encourages members, strengthens them, advocates for responsibility for actions and consequences, and teaches life skills.

I like the fact that the US Dept of Health has invested $1,000,000 in SMART to adapt it to correctional settings, and that SMART uses addiction treatment ideas based on actual evidence of how well they work.

I think it's great to hear about SMART, and I would like to learn more about it.
Awesome info on SMART. Didn't know that about the govt. I'll be back to another group next week that aims to put the tools to work. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post

They have? Please link to your source. I'm pretty involved in SMART and I never heard this.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
Congrats! I'd like to try a SMART meeting but I don't know where any are! I'm glad you went and had a good time. Best wishes in your sobriety. It DOES feel like a full-time job and sometimes that's one of the hardest parts for me. I'm trying to keep things simple and not get so caught up in trying to "cure" every little issue I think I have with myself, all at once, but rather just ease up a little on myself and on life. Easier said than done though, I know!
Pigtails, a list of meetings is available on the SMART Recovery website: Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ

In addition to face to face meetings, there are at least two online meetings every day. Some are text, some voice chat. There is also an active forum, and a 24/7 chatroom.

SMART is available to everyone with a computer, which means everyone who can access this forum can access SMART!

As far as recovery being a full time job...it is, but only at the beginning. Eventually, it becomes a natural thing, at least it did for me and pretty much everyone I know who has been away from their addiction for a chunk of time. Think of it this way: if it was ALWAYS as hard as it is at the beginning, we'd all give up because there would be nothing to gain. But there is so much to gain, and the tough part at the beginning is absolutely worth it.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
About lack of meetings for various programs...well, there will only ever be MORE meetings if people who want recovery attend the meetings and seed new ones. There is no magical someone out there who creates them out of thin air, it takes the determination and dedication of people who want recovery.

If you want one near you, attend another for awhile and find out what it takes to start a new meeting. Often a few people from another group will travel to the new one for awhile at least to help it get up and running.

THIS is how groups start, spread and thrive. Commitment.
Yes it is. And I should mention that it takes a bit of doing to start a SMART meeting. There's a training requirement to ensure that meeting facilitators know how to run a quality meeting. Then there's the challenge of finding a space. 12 step rehabs won't rent you a room, and the churches sometimes put you off because you're not faith-based. Particularly in more conservative areas, it can be a real challenge.

But we persevere and continue to grow. We're adding meetings all the time. We're growing particularly fast in areas, like Great Britain, where the 12 step ideology isn't as pervasive. And the online meetings are extremely popular. We now have at least 2 every day and they are typically full.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

OnlyTheTruth, you knew I would never report something about a number without a source, didn't you!

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services invested $1,000,000 to adapt the SMART Recovery program InsideOut for use in correctional settings.

Look under the National Institute of Drug Abuse here. Cheers!

There is also mention that SMART provides a secular alternative to 12 Step programs, avoiding constitional liability arising from court mandated AA attendance.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know AA brings meetings into correctional facilities for free...I'm actually looking into doing this with some friends that do it once a week. I've never been to jail...Thank God...I can't think of a better reason for going.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well isn't that the coolest, freshstart!!! Thanks for the info--you're right, I know you don't say stuff you can't back up!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Man I like the way SMART sounds. I wish they had one close to New Orleans. I'm surprised they don't.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Tta914: SMART is as close as your computer. You can go to a SMART meeting today if you want!

Just go to the website and sign up: Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I find this comment very useful - and I think it would help you too Pigtails to think of sobriety this way:

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
...if it was ALWAYS as hard as it is at the beginning, we'd all give up because there would be nothing to gain.