just 6 days sober and suffering

Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Lakia!

I know you will find lots of support here.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Laika! Stick around - this place is great!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Lakia!

I thought about drinking all the time at first, too. It gets better over time but I think it takes a lot of energy and focus in the beginning. Support really helps so much - I know you'll find that here, and hopefully, you'll find a great AA meeting you enjoy, too.

Good to have you with us!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. Are you familiar with the MISS Foundation at all? When you're ready I'm sure you'll find the support you need. A good friend's daughter was born still and she found them helpful.

To your drinking. Well it's a mess isn't it. No way to live and a sure way to die. You'll find so much help here! Lots of people in AA but some not (myself in the 'not'). Some people go to rehab (in and outpatient).

Don't worry about hitting bottom. Of all the stupid sh&t that kept me drunk... worrying about 'bottoms' was one of them. Obsessing about AA was another. Wondering if I was really an alcoholic was another.

We get it. Welcome and I'm so sorry again to hear that your son died.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to you! Glad you are here
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Lakia,

I did find it funny inviting all the elderly neighbors for coffee, let's know how that went, LOL
Yes you have a drinking problem and the only solution is giving up completely.

Glad you are thinking of going to AA. AA and SR are keeping me sober and a whole new life has opened up to me.

You can do this and we are here for you.

Love
CaiHong
Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lakia, I can certainly understand your not being tempted by having a little bit left. I could let 2 or 3 drinks sit untouched for days because it wasn't enough to get a buzz on, but give me a bottle and I'll drink it down.

Don't feel bad that nobody responded, especially if your post was in the wrong place. I posted last night in the right place and no one answered. It is still sitting there with 0 responses. But don't make a message board a reason for quitting or for drinking either. It's not about what other people do (screw 'em!) it's about what you want to do and be.

The reason you want a drink so bad is the same reason I want a drink. Your body gets used to it and when you don't drink, you get physical and emotional reactions that prompt you to drink more to make those feelings go away. I am on Day 11 of being sober and I've still got them, but I was binge drinking a lot longer than you, from your post. It's not that easy to stay away from drinking, but a lot of people have walked away from alcohol addiction, both with help and without it.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome Lakia - I was a big Vodka drinker for many years, and enjoyed it..what I didnt notice is it was destroying my health - till one a.m. I work up and poured a full bottle down the drain and said thats it....ended up in ER to detox - doesnt sound like your there...there is so much more to life! Stay around and read, post if you feel like it. Lots of wonderful knowledgable folks here that will lend an ear and offer advice if asked....!

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone for your support and sharing your experiences. It really helps me feel like a normal person and not ashamed for having this addiction.

So it's day 2 being sober and I am really excited about a sober life. I am off out today to get some things to do for when the compulsion to drink kicks in. I'm getting some paint to decorate my living room. Some books to read and I am going the my aa meeting tonight. I know it is gonna get tough for me so I am am setting myself up hopefully to succeed instead of failing.

It is such a relief to me to finally acknowledge that I am an alchololic. I can now stop spinning in circles and for once have a clear focus on what I need to be doing to make my life better.

I am proud to be a member on this site and am proud of you all for taking steps to improve your lives.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lakia View Post

It is such a relief to me to finally acknowledge that I am an alchololic. I can now stop spinning in circles and for once have a clear focus on what I need to be doing to make my life better.
That's exactly how I felt too, Lakia. Isn't it wonderful to know what the problem is and how to go about fixing it? I felt that acknowledging I was an alcoholic was the most liberating thing I've ever done.

Welcome to SR. I hope you find all that I have here
Old 08-18-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are sounding so positive Lakia. It is a relief when you finally admit to yourself that you have a problem and you take those first steps to quit.

Being incredibly nosey - may I ask if anybody turned up for coffee? I'm sorry, it did make me chuckle a little. We've all done silly things that we regret when we are drunk, but I must say that inviting your elderly neighbours round for coffee is probably the sweetest drunken regret I've heard
Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
I must say that inviting your elderly neighbours round for coffee is probably the sweetest drunken regret I've heard
Me too!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You can do this. I'm 90 days sober and I'm currently in AA. I attend a meeting mostly 1 time per day, I have a sponsor that is exactly what I need-tough when I need it and a shoulder when I need it. AA encourages getting phone numbers of others in recovery-and that means calling people all hours of the day or night. It's saved my life and I don't know that I could have done it any other way...
Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh yeah lol. No one showed up to my coffee morning. I can't say I was too dissapointed as I was soooo hungover lol. i also live in quite a rough area so they may have thought I was gonna mug them or something.