Notices

Pain is my motivator

Old 08-19-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Smile Dear, Hope4Life:

Sorry to hear about all of your pain. I"m new to this site and this is my first msg. You know I just got sober 9 1/2 months ago and I don't think I've ever felt pain like I feel now, on a daily basis. I think/know when I was drunk I didn't feel anything because I was self medicating daily. Plus I was always to drunk, sick, lazy or hungover to go to a doctor. So I had no idea all of the things that were really wrong with me. Being it now that I am sober I feel everything. I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, RA, scoliosis, carpal and cubital syndrome. I'm learning to deal with it sober but I can guarantee you this it's not an easy task. I go to alot of meetings, have a few committments, a wonderful sponsor, a bunch of new girlfriends in AA. That's whats keeping me sober today.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
How long did you drink? 29 days is awesome, but I guarantee it's not much compared to the number of years you were drinking, that's a difficult long term habit to break! Be proud of how far you've come!!!

I told that voice I might entertain it tomorrow....then tomorrow always turned into today...
I had my first drunk at about 15, started drinking regularly at 18 and increased the amount and alcohol content in my beer to the strongest red beer (ale) I could find. A few years ago, I switched to lower alcohol beer but that just made it easier to drink more. 8 - 10 beers a day was normal for the last 4 or 5 years. I told myself that since I waited till 4 or 5 to start drinking that I was in control. That was just a lie to myself.....

I am proud of these last 29 days but I know theres a LONG rd ahead. If I can just get back in shape, I'm going to ride my bicycle down that rd!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome Gina

Originally Posted by GinaSantaCruz View Post
Sorry to hear about all of your pain. I"m new to this site and this is my first msg. You know I just got sober 9 1/2 months ago and I don't think I've ever felt pain like I feel now, on a daily basis. I think/know when I was drunk I didn't feel anything because I was self medicating daily. Plus I was always to drunk, sick, lazy or hungover to go to a doctor. So I had no idea all of the things that were really wrong with me. Being it now that I am sober I feel everything. I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, RA, scoliosis, carpal and cubital syndrome. I'm learning to deal with it sober but I can guarantee you this it's not an easy task. I go to alot of meetings, have a few committments, a wonderful sponsor, a bunch of new girlfriends in AA. That's whats keeping me sober today.
Glad you are here. We have a lot in common. 9 1/2 months is INCREDIBLE!
I'm so sorry you are having all those pain issues and I can totally relate.

I have all kinds of arthritic problems from back issues, knees, shoulders, ankles and a bad hip. Car, Motorcycle and Bicycle accidents along with years of field sports and a very HYPER childhood have really taken a toll.

I've been self medicating for years. I am also having a tough time with that aspect of sobriety.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Have you heard about juicing fresh vegetables? One of the best things you can do for your self. It helps the body do more than you can imagine.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Gout was one of the ailments that was afflicting me just before I quit. Sadly it wasn't till my liver started hurting that I could muster up the strength to quit. Good luck to you.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

1 month

Its hard to believe that I have made 1 month into sobriety. If someone would have said I'd do this 6 months ago, I would have laughed in their face and popped another beer.....

While I am still having some emotional bumps in the road, I feel that my awesome suspension (you guys...) can handle it. It is SO satisfying to face each day w/o a hangover.

Thanks for all of your support.

30 days and Determined to beat the beast.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Determination intact

Today I have been sober for 6 months and I'm finding that as the days and weeks go by, my desire for beer is just about gone.

Its pretty amazing how good just plain water tastes!

Thanks again to everyone who shares their experiences here on SR. This community has been my savior on many occasions and has been key to winning my personal battle with the beast!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well done Hope!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Determination INTACT!

I came back to this thread to remind myself of the journey I have been on. While I have had some tough spots, I feel very fortunate to be able to say that I have been alcohol free for over 10 months now.

The cravings are gone but I had a dream the other night that I was drinking from other people's pint glasses......WEIRD! I woke up and realized that I was in bed and was SO THANKFUL that I hadn't relapsed.

When I was drinking (and smoking pot) I didn't dream much. Now I can remember the dreams I am having and I'm constantly amazed by the people and incidents that come out of the depths of my brain.

When I stopped I was drinking 8, 10 or 12 beers a night, which I can't imagine now. I am proof that if you are DETERMINED, you can stop.

Thanks again to all of you who are always here for support!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Hi everyone!

I just came back to SR for the first time in quite a while and wanted to post an update to my recovery journey. A lot has happened to me over the past year but I am happy to say that I am still clean and sober.

On 7/20 I reached 4 years w/o a drink and as of today I have 3 years and 7 months w/o pot. I am active in my local AA fellowship and have a sponsee who I have been working with for over a year. I have a Guardian Angel chip that I wear around my neck, as I am very lucky to be alive.

Back in oct I had a very bad off road accident that could have easily taken my life. I was on a dirt trail at my favorite off road park, scouting trails for a large group of friends who were arriving later that day. The narrow trail I was on suddenly gave way and my truck began to roll down a steep hill about 200 ft high. Instinct took over and I turned into the roll as I said, God Protect Me and drove the truck down a 45 degree slope. I crossed back over the trail and the truck went air born and I knew that I no longer had any control. I threw my arms up in front of my face as the front end dug in and the air bags fired off. I was now on a 75 degree slope tumbling into a ravine and everything was flying around inside the cab as I rolled about 5 times. The first miracle was that the truck landed on its wheels! The next miracle was I was uninjured, except for some minor cuts and bruises! Finally, when the truck came to a stop on top of a pile of dry brush, it did not catch fire! After yelling for help for about 10 minutes, I heard a siren and then a rangers voice. I was helped out of the ravine and back to my camp completely amazed to be alive! If my 4 wheeling friends had been behind me there is no doubt that serious injuries would have occurred as I crossed the trail twice before coming to a stop.

I have no doubt that my renewed faith in God and my daily prayers saved my life. It became obvious that he has plans for me and I am living my life each day to the best of my ability, striving to do the next right thing.

May God Bless each and every one of you!