Notices

Anxiety help with meds?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety help with meds?

I was wondering if a lot of alcoholics also have anxiety like me?

Work stresses me out so bad, but quitting is not an option since it is a really good paying job with benefits my family needs and I have no education and am lucky to have a job that pays so well and not minimum wage.

Home life is also stressful but we all are coping.

I wonder if there are meds that alcoholics have experiences with that have helped those with extreme anxiety. I take trazodone and it helps me sleep but I am wondering about zanax. I am not asking for specific medical advice, just wondering what types of meds ya'll might have been prescribed that you feel help so I can ask my dr when I go in September.

Also, i know there are meds that make you sick when you drink. Has anyone tried that? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

xanax is addictive.

Have you read the book Alcoholics Anonymous? It's on silkworth.net and in an audio version. xa-speakers.org take a listen.

My anxiety left as I worked the steps. My story.

Hugs,
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have to go to meetings? I can't do meetings. I can't do strangers, much less if I am vulnerable. I would hyperventilate and call an ambulance. Can you do AA without meetings? I really wish I could do meetings, but it's just impossible. Makes me feel bad, but it's just what it is.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We really can't give any info or opinion on meds. You'd best see your doctor to be safe.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes there are anti-anxiety meds that aren't addictive but you should talk to your doctor about it and let him/her make a recomendation.
Sugarbear is dead on about the xanax.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know. i/m just grasping at straws here.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whimper:

Xanax is in the class of drugs called benzodiazepines; here's a link to one thread on the forum:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anax-news.html

With the link, please read the comments posted to SR as well as the linked article. Benzo withdrawal is wicked, wicked bad.

If you do a search for "benzo" in the substance abuse forum, you'll pull up more than 13 pages of threads.

Chronic use of alcohol actually increases anxiety; most people who have a good spell of sobriety behind them report that their anxiety levels have gone way down. Give it time and let your body heal naturally.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How much time before most people feel better? I drink because of anxiety and drinking causes more anxiety, therefore I drink? It's so unfair.

I guess I just have to try harder and get through the panic, but it seems almost impossible. Alcohol has been my coping for so long and it's so hard to share with people when you have anxiety. Bad situation.

Still I know it's all excuses and I just have to make myself stop, stop, stop.

Stop.

Thanks everyone. I do feel like I am not so alone here.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As far as doing AA without meetings....I don't know.
I suppose there are aspects of the program that one could utilize alone but I wouldn't want to chance it. I like online meetings but they are really not the same as f2f. I have a lot of anxiety as well and I don't like meetings either. But I know that there are things that I need to change about myself. Maybe shop around a bit and find a meeting that you can tolerate.
It may sound boring...maybe it is, but I think you'll find that its not that bad and look back in retrospect and be glad that you went.
Just a suggestion.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just curious, would going to an open meeting with someone you know and feel comfortable with help you with the anxiety issue? You don't have to talk, you can just listen. That I do know. I've done it in the past and it was a little easier (of course, I was still very nervous.) You've got to be careful adding a new addictive substance like Xanax. Personally, I've tried lots of things and I can tell you that the only thing I will ever be able to become addicted to is alcohol - my one and only drug of choice. But that's certainly not the case with everyone. Stopping drinking sometimes really needs to be done under a doctor's care. Best to get evaluated if you're skeptical.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whimper View Post
Do you have to go to meetings? I can't do meetings. I can't do strangers, much less if I am vulnerable. I would hyperventilate and call an ambulance. Can you do AA without meetings? I really wish I could do meetings, but it's just impossible. Makes me feel bad, but it's just what it is.
It doesn't have to be that way.

Many of us came to AA with great anxiety and powerlessness but the fellowship and 12 Steps helped us to grow through it and overcome it.
You could too .....

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous"

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As an ex benzo addict, I would caution you to steer clear. I'd rather kick booze than those pills all day long. And as an alcoholic with anxiety, it really raises the likelihood that you may become addicted. I can't tell you the hell I went through. A doctor started me on them and it brought me relief... But I kept having to take more and more for the same effect (happened REALLY fast). Next thing I knew, addicted. It was hell. I've been off of all drugs for about 6 years. IMO they are a VERY dangerous class of drugs- much more so than most people realize. I hope you can find relief.. I know how hard anxiety/panic disorders can be. I'm sorry you're going through that. :-(
Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

For me I was honest with my doctor about being alcoholic so she wouldnt put me on any benzo ect...

So for the first 8 months she prescribed zoloft. And that helped but it was not drinking and getting active in real life specially with AA that helped the most. I am no longer on zoloft.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have anxiety, you could try an SSRI. My Doctor put me on Zoloft
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go to see your doctor about your anxiety. He/she will most likely give you something for it. Even though your doctor will give you meds for your anxiety, you will need to learn how to deal with it. Over time when you practice dealing with it is when you can slowing wed off the meds. Most alcoholics/drinking problems have some type of issues with anxiety and depression.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

We are not doctors here and even if one of us was a doctor, she wouldn't be YOUR doctor. So we can't give you any medical advice. But you NEED medical advice. There certainly are things that can be helpful with anxiety disorders, including both drugs and talk therapies.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for responses. I definitely don't want to end up with another addiction, this one is enough. I will have to find a healthier way than addictive drugs but I will definitely ask my doctor. I just have to be willing to tell her how bad I got. I've told her I drink too much but that I was tapering off--it was true then--but now I've picked it up too much again.
I'm going to be sober starting today. Maybe I can do some healing before I have to have tests again in a couple of weeks, then get some better advice from my dr.
Thanks again everyone