Notices

What to do?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do?

I have been to detox about five times in the last 6 months. My insurance will no longer pay for it.

I need to get sober now. I'm essentially laying in bed all day and drinking each time I wake up. We're talking highly dysfunctional alcoholism. Part of that has to do with the fact that I was laid off -- yes, I have poor coping skills.

I bought some beer instead of vodka (vodka is my preferred drink) and am drinking beers at the rate of two per hour. Given that beer's not very strong, I'm starting to shake. In previous days leading up to this, I was drinking 3.5 liters of vodka per day (two handles, I think they're called).

So all of this means I need to do a home detox and that it's going to be highly dangerous. I have a prescription for some Klonopin that I've asked a family member to go fill. It's actually a ridiculous amount of Klonopin - 6mg/ day prn with five refills. (I think my doctor might be irresponsible )) That stuff is essentially like valium, but does not last as long.

It is imperative for me to quit drinking, and not just for life reasons. I'm leaving the country in a month and I can't show up in Europe or Asia like a shaking fool. I don't even want to imagine what treatment I'd receive in some place like Malaysia if either got drunk and nutty, or tried to detox and got nutty.

So, whom has experience with home detox? In *all* of my previous experiences, I was bad for one day and then felt fine. I had no seizures or DTs. No agitation or nausea. I basically just shook a lot and felt like crap. Actually, shaking was the only symptom. (I'm young and haven't been doing this to myself for very long, so I'm blessed with the benefit of quick recovery.)

However, every detox experience is different - from what I've read, it's an unpredictable medical experience.

Any advice?

I was thinking that I'd fake a seizure in order to enter an ER and hospital. Given that I'm leaving the country for good, I could care less about their bills.

Signed,
me
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detoxing from alcohol is unpredictable and potentially very dangerous, and I will tell you to go to the ER because it could save your life. You will get the help you need there.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna.

Please take care.

Wishing you all the best x
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to your Doctor, be honest about how much you are drinking. Don't try to detox at home, it could be very dangerous.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As others have said - Detoxing is extremly dangerous - Do NOT try this at home.

Got to say though, the definition of insanity - "Doing the same thing over and over the exact same way and expecting different results"

What are you going to do different this time?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok then, I'll fake a seizure and go to the ER. They'll admit me and then detox me under medical supervision. (I've been to that hospital before; they're very kind and nice.)
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope it goes well, ineedtorecover.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best.