SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Serotonin and Alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/265447-serotonin-alcohol.html)

jobei 08-15-2012 07:41 AM

Serotonin and Alcohol

When I attempted to quit drinking in the past I could never make it past those first couple months. This seems to be a very common problem for many addicts. I read many threads in which the topic is discussed and I most certainly understand why "60 in 60" and "90 in 90" are so strongly suggested in AA and NA. Lately I've been doing a little research on exactly why it is so hard in the beginning beyond the obvious. This doctor's research was very eye opening to me in understanding exactly why it is so hard to quit, especially in those early days. For anyone interested in this information, here is a link to this great article:

http://www.currentseparations.com/is...-1/cs18-1d.pdf

God bless!

Weasel1966 08-15-2012 10:17 AM

Thanks!

sissy07 08-15-2012 10:27 AM

Thanks! Outstanding article!

Purplecatlover 08-15-2012 12:06 PM

Thanks for sharing.
It could be deduced that it would take a long time for the brains pathway receptors, etc to function normally& heal.

jobei 08-15-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover (Post 3534800)
Thanks for sharing.
It could be deduced that it would take a long time for the brains pathway receptors, etc to function normally& heal.

Yes it doesn't happen over night but it DOES happen. :) That's the beauty of it all!

IndaMiricale 08-15-2012 05:44 PM

Yes the body and mind are amazing things. Specially when we alcoholic and addicts get out of our own way. And let the body do what it is meant to. :)

NoFireWater 08-15-2012 06:21 PM

I think I'm still in early recovery fog because I couldn't pay attention to what I was reading...it just wasn't sinking in. Or, I'm tired from working all day lol

Isn't that the same chemical that people use light boxes for? Wonder if there is any correlation between lack of enough sunlight and alcoholism?

found this article..interesting read in simple terms

Alcohol

Admiral 08-15-2012 07:47 PM

The print is too small and the article is more technical than what I would want to deal with right now but it raises some questions.

First what is this 60 in 60 or 90 in 90 thing you spoke of?

It really helps to have some sort of timeline. Just quitting and hearing "Things will get better" is far too vague. For cigarettes you can find a timeline that tells how your body heals in 2 days, weeks, months, years... It's very encouraging to be able to see how far you've come and know how much your body has healed, I haven't been able to find anything like that for alcohol or pot ( pot would be mainly mental health ) so often times I'm just left guessing in the dark.

Does the article give anything like this? Or does it just describe the relation between serotonin and alcohol?

jobei 08-15-2012 08:00 PM

It explains how your brain loses the ability to process seratonin correctly due to alcohol consumption. It takes time for your brain to heal itself... this process typically takes several months at a minimum. It's a major factor in why you feel so empty once you quit drinking.

"30 in 30" - "60 in 60" - "90 in 90" simply is a reference to what many AA members suggest a person should do when quitting drinking. 30 meetings in 30 days etc etc. It can really improve your chances to be involved daily as that is typically when most people have the hardest time quitting. I tend to agree with this doctor's findings that a big part of it is because your seratonin is so depleted. The positive side to this is that your brain has the ability to begin processing seratonin correctly again... once alcohol is removed from the body.

God bless!

auden67 08-15-2012 08:09 PM

That's why I started taking 5HTP supplements right after I quit.mthey've really helped with mood regulation, for me.

2granddaughters 08-15-2012 08:21 PM

If you are a "heavy drinker" then you are on your way to a normal life after a period of adjustment. Your physical condition has been restored to normal.

For the alcoholic of the type talked about in AA's "The Doctors Opinion" and "How It Works" the physical restoration is only the beginning as the true cause of the disease lies in the Spiritual condition. "How It Works" states that "even those with grave emotional and mental disorders do recover if they have the capacity to be honest".
If you are an Alcoholic as described in The Doctors Opinion then the treatment is the 12 Steps.

All the best to everyone.

Bob R

mudgely 08-07-2016 09:05 AM

Keeping serotonin and dopamine levels up was the key for me to quit successfully with no cravings at all, and to stabilize my mood and physiology during the acute withdrawal phase. I would guess that I am one of those people who has low serotonin levels which contribute to the tendency to drink.

Kaily 08-07-2016 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mudgely (Post 6081364)
Keeping serotonin and dopamine levels up was the key for me to quit successfully with no cravings at all, and to stabilize my mood and physiology during the acute withdrawal phase. I would guess that I am one of those people who has low serotonin levels which contribute to the tendency to drink.

No offence but if only it was that easy...

JamesfrmEngland 08-07-2016 11:55 AM

I'll read this tomorrow I enjoy reading stuff like this. Ironically, when I was on SSRIs they caused in me a craving to drink alcohol, I told my doctor and he told me don't be silly but there seems to be increasing (albeit anecdotal) evidence to this point. Among acid therapy is common fo some r covering from alcoholism and most neurotransmitters e.g. Serotonin are made from amino acids in the diet.

Soberwolf 08-07-2016 12:38 PM

Welcome to SR Mudgely

hpdw 08-07-2016 02:40 PM

Am I correct in saying serotonin is produced in the gut ? I think I heard Fred Alan Wolfe or was it John Bergman say this .

JamesfrmEngland 08-08-2016 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas59 (Post 6081767)
Am I correct in saying serotonin is produced in the gut ? I think I heard Fred Alan Wolfe or was it John Bergman say this .

I think around 90% of serotonin receptors are in the gut, and it is produced there by food containing the amino acid L-tryptophan. This is partially why people taking antidepressants have gastrointestinal side effects because the tablet is affecting the gut receptors there.

teatreeoil007 08-08-2016 01:51 PM

It's a CNS depressant so I would think it depresses serotonin.

:thanks:thanks

fripfrop 08-08-2016 02:01 PM

There is research (which I can't find, but will look again) that discovered the higher the serotonin levels in rats, the more alcohol they drank, compared with rats with lower levels
I found that I drank more when I was happier.
When I suffered clinical depression, which I did in cycles for years, I didn't want to drink at all.