Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

27 year old successful young professional female - "I can't be an alchoholic, can I?"

Notices

27 year old successful young professional female - "I can't be an alchoholic, can I?"

Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
instant

What you have will only get worse. What you call it is up to you. Alcohol it seems is not a performance or life enhancing drug in your case.

It was only once I admitted that my biology (that renders me incapable of moderating) and alcohol would not change I could surrender and start living.

If you were able to make the necessary changes at your age I think it would be a major step in your personal growth. Many people do not smoke or eat only certain foods- in time not drinking is not a biggie
Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi whoa...

I can certainly relate to your story. At 27, I was in a key position working for a company with five branch sales offices across the country; traveling, meetings, networking, and drinking through it all. Historically, I didn't spend a lot of time at any one company and each move I made was a move up the career ladder.

At 34, I was in a detox unit wearing paper slippers followed by 90 day rehab - jobless for four years, alienated from family and friends, extremely alone, and afraid to go apply for a job in an ice cream parlor.

My experience has shown me that the real demise to my career could definately be attributed to DRINKING at meetings and networking events - not the other way around. Don't buy into that "not drinking will ruin my career" - it is fallacy.

Careers come and go, but it was the loss of family and friends that killed me the most.

My crash and burn was stellar, but my recovery was awesome. Some great counselors and the good people at AA helped me get out of the hole.

All my best....
Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello!

Don't worry about your job or your professional career. They will respect your decision not to drink. If they really have a problem with it, get out of it and go work some where else. I know it's easier said than done, but we are talking about you and your life and your liver. You only get one liver and binge drinking about the worst thing you can possibly do to that little organ that sits humbly in your body and keeps you clean. Jobs come and go, they can replaced, but you cannot replace your health.

From the sounds of it, you are an alcoholic. Your drink to get drunk, that's an alcoholic. It's going to get worse.

Please find a way to quit. You will be much happier, you will have more money, and you will have more time to pursue other more life-enriching activities.

I wish you success and hope to hear more from you.