Notices

Dry heaving

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dry heaving

Hi. You may remember me from a few weeks ago, struggling to find a home and job after abstaining from alcohol and losing motivation; boxing as an alternative to drinking.

The motivation is hit or miss, where some days I get up and run, exercise, etc., and I do now have a place to live, and a job.

One thing that bothers me is the dry heaving that still occurs when I exert myself. When I train, it's usually very grueling, but I feel like if I stop... I'll lie in bed and be lazy (I mix it up now ;-). Is this normal even after several weeks of abstinence of alcohol (the heaving)?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

See a doctor
Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It really depends, if you exert yourself a lot and suddenly stop you can get sick. A few months ago I went on a bike ride, came rocketing home at top speed right up into the driveway, jumped off and went inside and threw up. You have to cool down after intense exercise.

That being said it's only happened one time, I agree that you should talk to the doc about it because we aren't medically educated.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey solstice,
When I am starting to run, that happens to me too. My problem is caused by making too much mucus and it actually causing a gag reflex in me. As I get used to running it gets less and only happens when I over exert myself. I make sure to bring something to blow my nose in and spit often (of course I am running outside) and that helps.

I know there are other things that can cause this like GERD so if it is a problem and continues, go to the doc and get it checked out.

Good luck and good job on trying to stay active.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You shouldn't be dry heaving because this would suggest you are dehydrated to begin with. Congrats on your decision to leave that abusive life behind and move on with your life. I parted ways with alcohol two years ago, this very day.

A little trick that might help... WATER LMAO

Actually, really cheap 12 packs of lemon lime/citrus soda, and 24 pack cases of bottled water filled my fridge after I parted ways with alcohol.

I knew 'for me' there was a manual and oral habit with liquids. I had to hold a cold drink and I had to sip or chug one from time to time. I simply replaced the old with the new and would remind myself, every time I sipped or chugged, "I don't drink alcohol, I am cleansing my body from now on" and it worked. I still buy cases of bottled water two years later and carry one with me almost all the time. But at 4-5.00 per 24 pack, I ended up saving a TON of money LMAO, and I ended up dropping 15 pounds, can't pinch an inch anymore.

So, drink water. But if you're dry heaving BECAUSE of working out, relax those workouts a little. If you're still vomiting, you need to get to the doctor.

Congrats. Time flies by, when you simply replace bad habits with good ones.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe that the dry heaving might be a symptom of something else, but I'm not a doctor. Go to a doctor for a diagnosis. That's what they spent a decade learning to do
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, please do talk to your dr about this.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said, none of us are Drs - and none of us should try and diagnose you over the internet anyway

It's best to get this checked out by a professional I think

D