Notices

Day 8, Worse than Day 1

Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8, Worse than Day 1

Today is Day 8 for me. Honestly, physically I feel like crap. Mentally, I feel much better (better and better each day). I have been exercising pretty hard and honestly think my eating is soooo off because of my previous drinking that I haven't been eating enough. Got a 9 mile run in this morning (yes, I was a drinker runner. Part of the reason this went on so long. I figured that I didn't have a problem because I would get up and run. Um . . . . yeah, right). Ran today, but my stomach feels like I'm going to lose it in my pants (sorry for the visual) and my head feels like I'm hungover.

Question. Are these still physical symptoms of withdrawal. Pardon the naivety, but I thought physical symptoms didn't last this long. Over the last few days, I have been kind of jumpy and on edge too.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know if the physical symptoms are from withdrawl or not. The best thing is to talk to your dr.

Congratulations on 8 days sober.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

melberholtz

We all get through this very differently. But its pretty rocky for the first 30-60 days. From my own experience it took me over 100 days to like myself again. Today is day 196.

No matter how you feel now, time will heal you and soon TRUST ME you will see how great it is to be free.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't feel 'what i'd call' physically 100% until about 60-70 days. If you're worried about anything i'd suggest a visit to the Docs.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me was worse than first several, took weeks to get past the worst. A doctor could be helpful. Stay the course and the pay off is better than you expect.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Melberhotz, 8 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. As some point it'll turn around and get better. In the mean time just don't drink.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the posts. I honestly don't feel the least bit like drinking. I just ate and feel much better. It's amazing what healthy food does for the body . . . go figure?!?!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on two weeks! Woo Hoo!!

It took years to get to the point you realized you had to quit. Alcoholics all want immediate gratification, but even though it won't take as long as you drank to feel 100%,it will take more than a few weeks. I am at almost two years and have some minor residuals, but for getting over most of the body issues it took me 3 months to finally feel on the mend. I had my docs in on my detox in hospital and testing pretty havily the first few months as my metabolism adjusted. Fortunately no cancer or liver damage yet. Stay close to the doc. I had a couple of anxiety attacks, which I never had in my life before. Also some memory issues early on that frightened me a bit. As you go if some issues persist read up on PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome/symptoms) I had PAWS and it was six months before most of that went away. Between my docs and here I made it fine to recovery. It took both.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I was so numbed from alcohol (beer) I couldn't really feel what my body was up to.

Give time time so you can heal well, 8 days is nothing compared to the years of abuse you self inflicted!

See a doctor for your concerns, as Anna said, we don't know what is causing anything.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe take it easy for a few days? Nothing says you have to hit it hard (9 miles) while you're also addressing such a huge physical and mental change. It might be that your body just can't handle both. I don't know, I'm not a runner anymore but I remember all the little things that threw me off when I was a runner. Sobriety is like recovering from the flu. Sure, you're feeling better but, you aren't 100% for quite a while.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

8 days is early and you body is still going through the detox process. combine that with a pretty hard work out and you can definitely experience physical symptoms.

i'd say if you can run 9 miles, you are doing well. but do remember to take it easy during the early stages... if you feel serious discomfort, take a break.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, perhaps I need to take it easy. Had a busy weekend too.