Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Had a few days and slipped, now looking for workout ideas instead of drinking

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had 3 days sober and than slipped up, because my wife thought I should give it a try to see if I could do it with moderation. Not sure that was a good idea, as I failed at that. My biggest issue is drinking after work. I am looking for work out or exercise ideas to do instead of drinking.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

running, going the the gym, swimming laps, shooting hoops, playing beachball/ping pong/ ball catching with your wife.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I am in the same boat. I drank after work everyday sometimes up to a 12 pack, and probably more on the weekends.

I use to weight train before I lost control and sunk in to drinking - then the only muscle I'd work out is my left hand from my lap to my mouth.

When I get paid I am going to renew my gym membership and get my old routine going again. Until then, I will hydrate and eat properly. You could do this too!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second the running idea. Running is a great way to let of steam and really focus your mind.

How about taking a walk with your wife, yoga, spin class, Zumba, cycling, hiking?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to love to run, about 18 years ago. I used to do about 7 miles a day. I have 2 hours alone before my wife and my daughter get home, as my wife picks up my daughter on the way home. I get home at 4:30, and my wife 6:30. I need something productive to do.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am new to recovery and running has been a great help. Its getting me healthier and every second I am running is one less second I am thinking about drinking. By the time you plan your run, change, workout, shower, etc... Your two free hours can easily be filled with running. If your not ready to start running yet another activity is geocaching. Admittedly, I feel kinda silly doing it, but it keeps you occupied and on your feet.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Any activity is helpful. I am a runner. I love it. Run like the wind my friend! If your tired after work and your feeling urges post yourself up on this site. Whatever you need to do to stay away from alcohol.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My goal is to run a 5K on Thanksgiving, but that seems to hard to do. Any advice?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think it is important that we fill the time we used to drink with activities that further our recovery.

That being said, I know my drinking problems weren't solved by merely staying busy. That's because I didn't drink because I was bored. I drank because I was an alcoholic.

Work out, run, do needlepoint if it keeps a drink out of your hand. But start working on the reasons you are drinking. Or you will drink again.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

3.1 miles is doable by Thanksgiving. Turkey trot!!!
Start out by jogging, then walk, then jog. Increase your length of jogging as your body lets you. The 5k is even doable without running the whole thing. I think that this is a great goal to have. It is something that you can focus on.
With that said.....Get your running shoes out and give them a talking to. They have probably been feeling neglected. Tell them your sorry and then hit the pavement. You've got some work to do.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It seems that you are really leaning towards running.

Here's a link to all the running clubs in Massachusetts:

All Massachusetts Running Clubs

A club might be the way for you to go. Not only would you be running, but you can also build relationships with new people that could open other avenues for you.

Another thing with running...you can always pick up your daughter and run with her in a stroller, something I'm sure both your wife and daughter would appreciate.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The gym and or any exercise is a great thing! I love the way it makes me feel. This is part of my plan is to replace the drinking with exercise.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm working on my fitness right now too. I know you mentioned that you have a habit of drinking during your time alone before your wife gets home with the kids. I'm wondering if you have a buddy that would be willing to run/work out with you during that window of time where you're usually by yourself? For me, making a commitment with friends helps because I don't always do so well when left to my own devices. If that's not an option- it might be really helpful to bring your running gear with you to work. That way you don't have to go home and change in order to hit the pavement. I'm on day 8 and I can relate to you, in that coming home from work is a HUGE trigger for me- I'm alone for a few hours too. I have had to really switch up my routine to try and eliminate triggers. Anyway, hope that helps! Glad you're still pushing forward. :-)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beetle53 View Post
I'm working on my fitness right now too. I know you mentioned that you have a habit of drinking during your time alone before your wife gets home with the kids. I'm wondering if you have a buddy that would be willing to run/work out with you during that window of time where you're usually by yourself? For me, making a commitment with friends helps because I don't always do so well when left to my own devices. If that's not an option- it might be really helpful to bring your running gear with you to work. That way you don't have to go home and change in order to hit the pavement. I'm on day 8 and I can relate to you, in that coming home from work is a HUGE trigger for me- I'm alone for a few hours too. I have had to really switch up my routine to try and eliminate triggers. Anyway, hope that helps! Glad you're still pushing forward. :-)
Not a bad idea, to change at work and go for a run. No one at work would work out with me, as many have a long commute home.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love the exercise and/or running idea. I've been doing something similar and was just able to complete my first 5K in about 6 years. It was great.
For me, the biggest challenge is to train without getting injured. I think this is common for middle-agers that are trying to get back into a routine. The following site may help to get back into running without getting injured.

Training - Beginning Running

I like cycling too so I am now eyeing some small triathlons that I plan to try in 3 or 4 weeks. I like the variety of training for swim, bike, run.

My wife has really gotten into Crossfit. Lots to variety and plenty to study in that program. She loves it and I'm starting to get into as well.

I think you are going to love the change in lifestyle. I have. Much better to be getting stronger and healthier rather than drinking myself into an early grave!

I can relate to the trigger of getting home after work. Sounds counter-productive to exercising but in my case, it helped to just eat something. Doesn't take much but filling up on an energy bar, quick sandwich, or anything usually removed my urge to drink for a while. Just an idea in those cases when you can't out to "pound the pavement".

Good luck. Keep us posted. Congrats on your healthy, life-changing decision.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
fgo

wwg. Getting started with an exersize ROUTINE is not easy but is has amazing rewards. I know for me if i dont put my gym clothes on right when i get home and go workout i wont. The first time i ran i made it across the street before i had to stop.. 3 months later i ran 9miles and biked 45miles and kayaked 22miles while it was snowing. It sure beat sitting in my house drinking myself to death. I guess what im trying to say is Start slow but start.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Get new shoes for running, go run. You probably are more fat than you were back then and your arches are probably flatter in your old age, so keep that all in mind. Best to go to the shoe store for a gait analysis if you are taking up running again.

I don't know how far gone you are, but I think you have time to complete the Couch-to-5K program (google is your friend here). If you maintained some level of fitness through your beer-guzzling life period then maybe you're ready to just lace 'em up and lay 'em down for a couple of miles from the start.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happier View Post

I like cycling too so I am now eyeing some small triathlons that I plan to try in 3 or 4 weeks. I like the variety of training for swim, bike, run.
Triathlons are my first love. Having to train in all three sports keeps things from getting boring.

Just make sure you can complete the swim and have fun!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took more than just exercise or keeping busy for me, but...diff'rent strokes...

I wish all you guys success
D
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i got a gym membership and make myself go even if i really don't feel like working out.

i do the elliptical or treadmill for 30-45 minutes and feel so good afterward, it makes me look forward to doing it again, and follow with strength training for about 20-30 minutes. i used to think i didn't want to spend the $40 a month for the membership, but i would easily spend that on vodka or wine in a couple days.

my next move is i want to get a bike and start going for bike rides in the evenings and weekends at the beach or park trails. i've found since i've started working out i really enjoy it and the times i don't feel like it are getting fewer and fewer. it's a great way to help through getting and staying sober! and it's so good for you. i've dropped weight and inches in my first month