Notices

Hi All

Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All

After some seriously heartbreaking relationship issues that were caused by drinking, my girlfriend and I have decided that we have to change our lives and become sober together. She'll be joining this forum shortly, and we both have appointments scheduled for counselors this week. We're also going to attend local AA meetings.

I'm on day 3 of my sobriety and I don't expect the urges to go away for a while, but we've been finding a lot of things (family, friends, etc.) to do that normally wouldn't have gotten done since we were always at the bar or passed out.

It's really great though...I'm coherent, alert, and I feel thinner already!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Toberpupper

Early recovery can be a little rough...while it's great you have company and support, if you're open to advice, I'd try to not think of things as 'our recovery'...try to stick to your own journeys.

That may sound weird, even counter intuitive? but this really is an individual journey and I think it's best approached that way.

D
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That makes sense.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Toberpuppy and congrats on getting sober!

I think it's great that you have each other's support and can find sober things to do together. Like Dee said, we just don't want to depend on someone else's sobriety to keep us sober.

Glad you're joining this forum for support - it's been my lifeline!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Toberpupper. I'm just about 2 1/2 weeks into my new sober life. I haven't missed a day of logging into these forums to share my stories and learn from others.

I wish you all the luck in your journey.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Like Dee said, we just don't want to depend on someone else's sobriety to keep us sober.
Looking back after just a few days, I'm really ashamed of the stupid (though in the moment "fun") things that I did, and I hope to never go back to them. Will I be able to have a cold beer one day after coming home from work...maybe. But it will never escalate to what it has in the past 2 1/2 years I hope.

Alcohol (and the company that I kept) changed my attitude, clouded my judgement and emotions. I want the old Me back, and I'll work at it everyday to be a better person-for myself.

Will I slip up and have a beer or two? Probably, but that doesn't mean she failed with her sobriety. And likewise if she has a drink-that doesn't mean I failed either. I'd like to think we'd support each other and continue on day by day.

Maybe it's not how bad we mess up, but how quickly we recover and pick ourselves back up.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome tober. I think it's wonderful you're dealing with this now, rather than decades later (like many of us did). I waited until my world came crashing down around me - always thinking I could control what I drank. Thankfully, you know better.

Congratulations on your 3 sober days.