Notices

I'm a Newb

Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a Newb

I really did it this time. Gonna give this way a try. I'm a bit of a mess right now, but I'm sober right now. It's my first day... again. Thanks for having me.

Shaymer
Old 08-12-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Shaymer good to have you here. There's masses of wonderful people here who are willing to share and offer support and understanding. I hope you find all that I have here.

Do you have a plan?

Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Shaymer,
You will find a lot of support here.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Shaymer x
Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!! :-)
Old 08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Shaymer!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Shaymer!! Welcome
Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Shaymer - you can do it! We all support you, and wish you the best. This is a wonderful place for hope and encouragement. Not being alone means so much.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My plan is to not drink. Sounds stupid, but that's all I have right now. Got a DUI about 10 years ago. Really changed my life for the better.

Limitting myself worked for a while, then stopped completely for 3 years or so. Then picked up a beer here or there. Six years later and now I drink at home almost every day, drinking until I can barely stand. What started with 'a little something to take the edge off', 'to help me sleep', etc, has turned in to a full blown mess. I never miss work or anything. Don't really go to bars much. I just come home and drink WAY too much.

My relationship with my wife is wonderful, but falling apart. Every few months, a routine disagreement happens at the wrong time and I wake up alone wondering what I said this time. Been happening throughout our relationship. 98% wonderful and 2% not worth it, I think she said. I've lost her trust and repect.

I know relationship stuff needs to be dealt with seperately, but it was kind of made me realize how bad its gotten.

Thanks, sorry about the babbling
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, Shaymer, come on in, take a chair and make yourself at home. Have a look around and read through a few threads, I am sure you will find yourself in more than a few of them. That was the first thing that happened to me when I started here at SR. It was a real comfort to hear that there were lots of others who had the same experiences as me, and that there was really nothing special about my story.

I hope that you will find that someone's tale of experience and strength will give you the hope and courage to find the way that is uniquely yours.

My plan is not to drink.
Yep, that will do it. You may need a little more detail though. I have no doubt that you can do this, Shaymer. What will you do to make it as easy as possible for yourself?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mrs King, thank you. what started as a quick reply, ended up far too long. I originally tried to respond to your comment. Nice to see all the posts since I started typing that long response out. I meant no slight by saying, 'my plan is not to drink'. I'm actually in the 'rough draft' stages of that right now. Thank you everyone.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, the first thread I read in the Newb section, was dead on. I was like yeah, that's me... right now. Thanks 57 and all.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shaymer,

It sounds like you're ready to get back to recovery. You know what to do, having been sober for several years, so you just need to get back on track. There is lots of support so, so take a look around and join us.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I'm here because this seems my speed.

Concerns:
I totally value AA and those in it. Worked for my Grandfather for the last 30 years of his life... Its just not for me. So that's out. Don't want to go to my dr because I don't want Alcohol Detox on my record. I kinda sorta work in the field and come across the names of of some of these treatment places often. Don't want to go to them. I have anxiety over sitting in a meeting with someone I helped discharge a few years earlier. I stopped going to 'entertainment' bars because I ran in to a young lady I used to know from work. Thinking this may be my route.

Oh, and I am worried about becoming that jerk who's stopped drinking and makes life miserable for everyone around him. I know 'that guy' I really don't want to become him. Just saying.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Talking

I'm trying to figure out the feature on the posts. Bare with me.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard. I like that your plan is to not drink. That's my plan. If that's all you got for now its good enough. The rest will come. There are many roads to take on this one. I hope that you find one that works for you. Keep posting. We are here for you.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SR is a great place.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shaymer View Post
Thanks everyone, I'm here because this seems my speed.

Concerns:
I totally value AA and those in it. Worked for my Grandfather for the last 30 years of his life... Its just not for me. So that's out. Don't want to go to my dr because I don't want Alcohol Detox on my record. I kinda sorta work in the field and come across the names of of some of these treatment places often. Don't want to go to them. I have anxiety over sitting in a meeting with someone I helped discharge a few years earlier. I stopped going to 'entertainment' bars because I ran in to a young lady I used to know from work. Thinking this may be my route.

Oh, and I am worried about becoming that jerk who's stopped drinking and makes life miserable for everyone around him. I know 'that guy' I really don't want to become him. Just saying.
Shaymer, if you don't feel as though AA is for you, there are many different methods you can use to aid your sobriety. AVRT seems the most popular after AA, and what's great about it is that no meetings are involved. It was revolutionary for me. There's some information about it on these boards and, if you're interested, there's a crash course online that takes barely any time and covers the basics.

A plan to not drink is perfect. That was my plan, too. For 2 months I just followed that plan... then I found SR and AVRT and I know I'll never drink again.

All the best to you.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I've been happily sober for over two years now with the help of my addiction counselor and this site. Recovery is possible if you want it bad enough.