Notices

at the end of my rope

Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

at the end of my rope

I have 22 hours before I start my new job that I have been waiting 3 1/2 weeks for. All the panic and anxiety and depression and derealisation is back. Its the reason why I quit my last job and I need it to go away now. I cant eat and cant sleep and I am not drinking alcohol. If I cant make it to work tomorrow there is only one option left. Everything I have tried in the past is no longer working. What do I do?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Mits.... No one hires someone they do not believe in. No one they do not think can do the job.

I was hired a year ago. I felt the same anxiety. But I thought ..... They must like me despite myself.

Take deep breaths. We are right here. You are not alone.

You will do fine. I assure you.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Mits -

Congrats on the new job. Do you know what is causing the fear? How long have you been sober?

When I feel out of control, I try to step back and just stay in the moment with what I'm feeling. The attitude that helps you with your negative emotions is to see them as a part of you, but not the whole of you (if that makes sense) and accept that you're feeling overwhelmed right now, but that these feelings will pass.

It's hard for us because we want to get rid of our feelings. We freak out because we think we can't handle them. Instead of fighting and resisting them, we need to have compassion, to let go of wanting to be perfect, to accept the fact that weakness, fear and imperfection are a part of being human.

Something you can do to help is to focus on your breathing for several minutes. Make your exhale longer than your inhale. It will slowly help regulate your heartbeat and slow your thoughts down.

Remember that it's just fear - and most of what we fear never even happens. Hang in there.....
Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I start a new job I always imagine that I'm the only one who is going to suffer from a little "information overload", or not catch on as quickly as they want me to.

Everyone does that...

Prayers your way....
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think those feelings are very common mits.

If you find you're prone to panic attacks have you ever considered counselling, or even just speaking to your Dr?

Try to breath through it...maybe do some exercise or physical activity today?

like others have said...you got the job, so others believe in you...the least we can do is do the same, right?

You'll be ok...drinking before your first day at a new job is definitely NOT the answer.

D
Old 08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mits,
I could not offer any better advice than Artsoul. I just want to drop by and give my support.

Love
CaiHong
Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mits, I'm a ball of anxiety - frequently! And it's harder when I'm newly sober, or have change going on in my life.

The first day will be a blur - you won't remember peoples names. You probably won't remember how to find the bathroom. It's ok!! Totally ok. No one is looking as closely at you are looking at yourself.

I don't know if that helps or makes it worse (eek!)...I'm just going on what helps for me. I try to take a bit of the pressure off myself by saying, "Hey. This thing is not going to be perfect. And that is ok."

Laugh at yourself. Let people help you.

Take some deep breaths, stay away from the booze, and be kind to yourself. You got this!!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty normal to feel anxiety before you start a new job, and to have old insecurities come back to haunt you. Try to remember, they are just feelings. They are not you, and they don't control you. You can recognize the feeling and let it go.

Take a few really slow, deep, belly breaths. Go out for a walk, listen to some music. Know that no one expects you to know everything on the first day or the first week.