Notices

Headed to Detox Tommorrow

Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headed to Detox Tommorrow

First off - thanks to all that post and reply on this site. It has been a great resource for me as I have been preparing to make some much needed changes to my life.

A couple of weeks ago I finally came to the realization that I need to quit drinking. It only took me 20+ years to figure this out. I am a slow learner. Based on all the good info provided here I have tried to approach this in an organized and educated fashion. I am very nervous about the initial withdrawl period so based on the advice I went to see my Dr and came clean. After some blood work, prescriptions and referrals I am now lined up take the next step and stop thinking and talking about it and actually make it happen. Tomorrow I am going into Detox and it will be Day 1 of my new life. Note - if anyone out there is wondering about talking to your Dr about your drinking, although I was nervous about it - it was easier than I thought. He didn't flinch when I told him I drink 15-20 beers per day. He was awesome and didn't judge me or make me feel bad in any way - it was a huge relief.

Thankfully I have a very supportive wife, family, friends and employer. I must admit that I have been very emotional about this but everyone has been great. I had a chat with my boss this morning to fill him in on what was going on with me and he was amazing - I had been dreading this discussion leading up to today and I really feel so much better once I got things out on the table.

Anyway - hopefully things go well and sometime next week I can come back and post that I am X days sober. I am planning on going to AA meetings as soon as I am back - that will begin the next phase - but starting tomorrow 1 day at a time.

Thanks again for all the great info and support on this board. Without it I might not have been able to start this process.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck Time2KickIt!

I'm so glad you talked to your doctor and got all the right help x
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Right on! Glad everyone is backing you! See ya in X days!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck hope to see you back here soon, doing well and being sober. Glad you have lots of support.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Detox and AA sounds like an excellent treatment for what ails you. It worked for me.

What part of ON are you in ?? I'm near Windsor.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Time - please do come back and let us know how you are! I'm glad you found SR to be helpful & encouraging. It meant the world to me - I was no longer alone.

It's great you had such positive reactions from your doctor, family & employer. Wishing you all the best on your journey to a sober and peaceful life.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck Time2KickIt
see you when you get back

D