Notices

Hi.. I'm a new member

Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi.. I'm a new member

I've benn an alcoholic for more than 10 years. Lost EVERYTHING... Jobs, marriage, house, self respect driver's license and family. Yet I continue to self destruction. It's 7 am and I am now having my eye opening cocktail. Sick.

I've been to rehab countless times. Nothing has worked. I'm scared I'm killing myself and I am. But I just cannot seem to stop. It's at the point if I don't drink, I don't function. I wish someone or something could help me before it's too late. I HATE living like this. All I do is isolate and drink. I can barely get the energy to go to work. In summary, I'm a mess and so is my life.

Any comments are appreciated.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

WElcome to SR...

Thanks for joining us ..we have many members here who are
willing to offer you support
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Nazzy.... Welcome to SR. This can be a great support tool if you choose. So stay and post about what's going on for you.

If you have been to rehabs then you know the importance of a plan... Or things that you can do to stay sober.

The one thing that jumps off the screen at me is when you say you need someone or something to help you before its to late.

Thee is not a single person on this board, member or not, that has someone or something make them stay sober other than themselves. It would be unfortunate for you to think that's possible because that thought will make it so you don't stay sober.

You need to do this and no one else.

Decide on a program... AA, AVRT, whatever works. But please do.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nazzy View Post
I've benn an alcoholic for more than 10 years. Lost EVERYTHING... Jobs, marriage, house, self respect driver's license and family. Yet I continue to self destruction. It's 7 am and I am now having my eye opening cocktail. Sick.

I've been to rehab countless times. Nothing has worked. I'm scared I'm killing myself and I am. But I just cannot seem to stop. It's at the point if I don't drink, I don't function. I wish someone or something could help me before it's too late. I HATE living like this. All I do is isolate and drink. I can barely get the energy to go to work. In summary, I'm a mess and so is my life.

well, welcome to a place none of us ever planned on being. i never went to rehab or detox, but there were many times in my life i shoulda. it was when the pain of getting drunk exceeded the pain of reality and i got to the point of desperation that i went to AA. i was finally willing to do whatever i had to do to get sober and stay sober.
there was more to it than just putting down the drink. i had to put in footwork on lookin at me and changing me. getting sober was a fight, but i finaly had it in my heart that the way i was livin and the thinkin i was using( my own thinkin) so i had to use someone elses thinkin, someone who had been down the same road and understood where i was. i found that in AA. but after that, stayin sober has been pretty easy.

i was once a useless, worthless, hopeless, helpless drunk.
today i have use, worth, hope, and can and want to help others. life really has taken on new meaning!!!

prayers yer way for the courage to change.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Welcome! What are you doing currently to work toward sobriety?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

There is always hope and you will find a lot of it here on SR. Take a look around and read and be inspired. You can stop drinking and live a sober life.

Are you motivated to make the commitment that alcohol is no longer an option? That's the first step on this amazing journey.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can be sober if you want to be. There's no magic answer for how to get there, but there are many recovery programmes available and SR is a fantastic source of support and understanding. If I can be sober, you can do it, too. The simple answer is to stop drinking... I know it isn't an easy thing to do at first but it gets easier as time goes on and the benefits you will feel after just a short period of time are endless.

Welcome to SR - it's a wonderful place and has been my lifeline. I hope you are ready to get sober soon, we will be behind you. I wish you all the best.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Please see a doctor for a proper detox.

Glad you are here~
Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nazzy - I was at that same point when I joined SR. I'd been drinking my whole life. I couldn't imagine getting by without it - even though my life was in ruins because of it.

I kept insisting I could make it be fun again - the way it was long ago. The hardest thing was admitting I had stepped over the line from social to alcoholic drinking. I wasted years proving it was impossible to control what would happen when I took that first drink. In the end, I was drinking all day - even at work. When I came to SR I wasn't expecting to actually quit forever - but when I read all the stories of hope & inspiration, I knew I wanted what so many here had. The best thing for me was to no longer feel alone - I had so many people who understood me, and helped me every step of the way. Please stay and keep posting and reading. We care about you.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nazzy View Post

If you've been to rehab countless times you know that AA and GOD is your only hope... may you find him now !

I wish you the best, Nazzy, it's as simple as getting on your knees and asking GOD for help... then call AA in the phone book.

I've been where you are and I’m not there now thanks to AA.

Bob R
Old 08-10-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nazzy. I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice and support here