Notices

14 beers yesterday

Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 beers yesterday

I am so sick of myself.
Yesterday I drank 14 beers. I drank from 12pm to 10pm last night. I only felt drunk for a little while. I didn't do anything stupid. I'm not really hungover, but I'm very depressed about it.
THere was no special occasion, no party. I wasn't alone but I was drinking alone (my husband was with me but he didn't drink ).
I feel so gross and ashamed of myself.
I don't drink every day or even most days but I know I have a drinking problem but the fact that I drank that much for no reason is scary. When I do drink I can't control myself.
I'm so sick of this. I'm a stay at home mom, not a party girl. I'm 31 years old. There's no reason for me to drink like that.
I feel very bad about myself right now. I have no energy. I am short tempered with my kids. I can't say that I hate myself, but I hate this problem.
I am scared. I've made the decision not to drink before and didn't follow through. I've also made the decision to limit myself and well..obviously that didn't work.
Over it. Sick and tired of being sick and tired but not sure what to do about it.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you considered AA? Millions of people have recovered and are free from alcohol thanks to AA. Maybe you can find your answer there?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Limiting doesn't work for alcoholics. Stopping completely is the way to go.

My suggestion is to make a decision that drinking is no longer an option, get rid of any alcohol in the house and don't buy anymore. Make a plan to distract yourself during the times you would have been drinking. You can do this!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suggest you Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion". "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous".

See if you can identify .....

Welcome to recovery !!

Bob R
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...I saw this in the Big Book of AA and it was me....You might want to take a look at that book.

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.

pg 44
Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I hope you find the support and understanding that I have here.

As Anna says... coming to the decision that alcohol is no longer an option, that your future is going to be alcohol-free, is a very good start. Of course, you have to REALLY believe it, and be behind yourself 100%, but it's not impossible. The simple solution to all of those issues that you list is that you stop taking that first drink. If you don't take the first, you won't take the 14th. You're probably not going to be able to stop at 1 if you have alcohol issues - we've seen many people here think that they're able to control their alcohol intake and it may perhaps work for a while, but generally we go back to drinking the way we did before and feeling just as bad. At the beginning it may not be easy, and you may find it tough to turn down those drinks, but over time it'll become second nature, and you'll feel all the benefits of sobriety. You can be without alcohol - just do it.

All the best to you.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I don't drink every day or even most days but I know I have a drinking problem but the fact that I drank that much for no reason is scary. When I do drink I can't control myself.
I'm so sick of this. I'm a stay at home mom, not a party girl. I'm 31 years old. There's no reason for me to drink like that.

I am scared. I've made the decision not to drink before and didn't follow through. I've also made the decision to limit myself and well..obviously that didn't work.
Over it. Sick and tired of being sick and tired but not sure what to do about it.
Actually, from your post, you described the only reason I know: can't stick to a decision to stop + can't limit myself + can't control it when I start = the same brand of alcoholic that I am. I just don't get how ppl can decide to stop.......then follow through. That never worked for me.

Back on topic, if you're the type of alkie I am, the reason you continue to drink in the face of a gazillion reasons not to.......is because you're alcoholic and because you have alcoholism.

The good news is, recovery is not only possible it's guaranteed......if you're willing to treat it. Me, I wasn't willing to do much of anything about it for a lot of years. I continued to hope on one hand......and drink with the other. Eventually though, my life got bad enough that I had to really consider if it was worth it anymore...was it worth continuing to do nothing and live in pain. The madness ended 5 years ago......and like I suspected all along, it wasn't just a drinking problem. Stopping drinking helped about 10%.......recovering from alcoholism though, that fixed the bit 90%.

......and there are 10's of thousands of ppl who've not only done the same thing......but are more than willing to bend over backwards for you to help you get the same deal for yourself.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Soliloquy-

You're not alone..... there's a lot of us out here who found we couldn't seem to drink like "normal" people, even when we have the best of intentions to do so.

It really helps to have support and this is a great place to start!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome!! you have found a place where many, many poeple have been right where you are now. there are different things you can do but any one of em requires a decision being made.
you can make the decision to keep drinking, which prolly aint gonna have very good results,
or...
you can make the decision that you are willing to do whatever you have to do to stop drinking and get and stay sober.

i sure hope you make the decision to do whatever ya gotta do to stop drinking and get nd stay sober. it was the best decision in my life. well, actually, before i made that decision, i was just existing, then when i put in the footwork, through AA, i got a life.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I would recommend the 90 meetings in 90 days with AA

I am only coming up on 9 weeks this weekend, and it took me a bit to get my butt over to AA, but I am glad I did. This room also helps me a great deal.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh... you sound like me! I'm also a stay at home mom, I'm 32, and I still continue to drink way too much and for all the wrong reasons. I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this, and I wish I had some kind of helpful advice for you, but at the very least I wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Soliloquy
You'll find a lot of support here...and a lot of people who understand

SR helped me change my life...I know it can help you do the same

D
Old 08-10-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Soli. You'll find SR is a great resource, so stick around.

It's ok to feel bad about yourself -- but don't dwell on it too much. Remember that shame and guilt are just your conscience telling you something is wrong. They aren't feelings that can hurt you -- they are feelings that can motivate you.

Some great advice here!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Soliloquy

I was a massive beer drinker at home too. Have you ever tried quitting with support before? It does make it much easier. Join the 'Class of August' on this forum, maybe go to AA or talk to an addiction counsellor. I started of with a method called AVRT which really helped me.

Whatever you do you're sure to get lots of support here x