SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Time to take stock (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/264958-time-take-stock.html)

Jeni26 08-10-2012 07:07 AM

Time to take stock

Ok, I'm working REALLY hard at this staying sober business.
I'm on SR almost continually, reading and posting, learning and supporting others. I'm going to AA 3 evenings a week. I'm meeting my sponsor once a week to go through the steps. I'm keeping a gratitude list. I'm focusing on events from my past which have significantly affected me, writing them down, self-analysing and reaching out for support. I'm allowing myself to experience feelings of guilt, anger, regret, overwhelming sadness etc that I've numbed for the past 30 years. I'm strengthening family relationships and building new sober friendships. I am absolutely determined NEVER to relapse again.
And I guess it's working, 11 weeks today since I took that dreadful last drink.
But just for today I want to take a day off.
This is hard work. I need to stop and take stock and ENJOY what I have around me.
The emotional merry-go-round is waiting for me, but I've stepped off. Just for today.
I mustn't forget in the efforts to stay sober that I must also take time to reflect on my life here and now. And it's pretty bloody good actually.
I'm doing ok.
I hardly ever think of drinking any more. I am surrounded by people who really love me. I can feel emotion and be truly thankful for what I have.
So, just for today, I'm going to stop and really open my eyes to what my sober life is bringing me.
I'm so very lucky xxx

Weasel1966 08-10-2012 07:11 AM

Jeni.... That's awesome!

I love the fact you can really enjoy and appreciate what you have. Some never see it. You're blessed for sure in your attitude and strength.

Happy 11 weeks and do something nice for yourself!

Ken

gincognito 08-10-2012 07:11 AM

Sounds like you've got a solid recovery going on!

Anna 08-10-2012 07:31 AM

I'm glad you're doing well, Jeni!

I know that balance is the key for my recovery, so enjoy your day. :)

benice 08-10-2012 07:32 AM

Ya know, I think your post is fabulous. It shows that this journey can be really, really hard and consuming. But at some point it is good to step back and appreciate our success.

Thanks Jeni.

MrsKing 08-10-2012 07:37 AM

I'm happy for you Jeni :) and congratulations on 11 weeks - that is a major achievement, as well as being lucky, you should also be very proud of yourself! All the best to you x

Live2Run25 08-10-2012 07:52 AM

Great job Jeni! You are really coming along. It is hard work to stay sober, but it' worth it. Eventually I think it will come to us easier. I know at 69 days, i'm already not "obssessed" with thinking about staying sober. I'm just living my life. good for you!

neferkamichael 08-10-2012 07:55 AM

Nice thread Jeni, you are FANTASTIC. :egypt:

Bazerington 08-10-2012 08:00 AM

Well done and good work!! :-)

2granddaughters 08-10-2012 08:02 AM

All the best, Jeni !!

Bob R

LoftyIdeals 08-10-2012 08:11 AM

Well done, Jeni! Your hard work shines through on SR, and, I agree, we all have to take a break from recovery once in a while, so long as it doesn't include drinking or drugging!

Congrats on your success!

jobei 08-10-2012 09:13 AM

Yup take a deep breath and focus on the great things around you! By tomorrow you'll feel better. :) God bless!

Jeni26 08-10-2012 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone.
Remember to be kind to yourselves xxx