Notices

Why Am I Constantly Sweating?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Am I Constantly Sweating?

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum, only joined earlier, as I have this problem with sweating alot, but seriously alot, like every time I go outside from my home, I will sweat to a point of ridiculousness. I know that alcohol can play a major role in the body heating up ect.

I drink about 3 bottles of red wine, half a litre of rum (pouch) and 4/6 Stellas (lager) a week, and that is from the Sat to around the following Mon/Tues.

Now I know point blank, that is a hell of alot of alcohol to consume on a weekly basis, but when am ready to go outside and do shopping ect, I will sweat terribly, like I always take a couple of clean hankies with me as I know what is to be expected, but I will sweat constantly, from head to toe, the sweat is just streaming down my face, my back, chest, arms, legs and it never stops, it just carries on, and its so friggin embarrassing to when standing at store counters, check outs, that sort of thing.

The question I want to ask is, is it the alcohol that I am consuming on a weekly basis, that is contributing greatly to the sweating, I don't think I am dependent, though I must admit there has been times when I will absolutely ache inside me for a drink, mainly red wine and strong lager (Stella), but only at the end of the week, and but when I buy it, its always in bulk and I will drink, fall asleep, wake and carry on till it runs out, then when I have to go out and do shopping ect, well thats when the sweating starts and only begins to stop when I get back home.

I just need some professional advice, maybe from someone who is an alcoholic, or someone who has been down this road before. I will hold my hand up high and totally admit that I am very much naive about withdrawal symptoms ect, I know there is the internet to research this matter further, but I would much prefer a practical opinion from someone.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR conf4sed4

heavy sweating is a very common side effect of withdrawal for most of us once we stop drinking.

You;re doing some hard alcoholic yards in a pretty small amount of time each week...just stop for a minute and imagine what you're putting your system through.

When I stopped and thought about it that way, I realised why I was sweating.

We're not professionals here tho your Dr is the best place for that if you're concerned about this.

D
Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very common side effect of the body trying to sweet out all the alcohol out of your system when you stop heavy drinking. It may take up to 2 weeks for that to stop. Just don't start up drinking and you will stop sweating like crazy.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, it's the booze.

I would see a doctor, as other factors will also contribute to your body overheating.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

It's funny how we can't usually smell ourselves, but others can. Yes, it's the alcohol. Physical dependence is not a requirement of having a problem. You are drinking a lot of alcohol.

Can you stay stopped for 90 days? The sweating and aroma will leave ya!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amandah09 View Post
Welcome to SR
thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR conf4sed4

heavy sweating is a very common side effect of withdrawal for most of us once we stop drinking.

You;re doing some hard alcoholic yards in a pretty small amount of time each week...just stop for a minute and imagine what you're putting your system through.

When I stopped and thought about it that way, I realised why I was sweating.

We're not professionals here tho your Dr is the best place for that if you're concerned about this.

D
yeh I thought as much, I mean I knew it was alot, especially on a weekly basis, but were you say > am doing some hard alcoholic yards in a pretty small amount of time each week, well thats enuff for me to raise a serious eyebrow and have a rethink, so thanks for that, also especially about what I am putting my system through. But yeh thanks agen.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Sweating IS a withdrawal symptom. Your body is getting rid of the toxins from the alcohol. It takes about one hour for an ounce of alcohol to leave the body, I believe.

Is alcohol creating any problems in your life other than the physical ones you aren't aware of yet?

Alcohol depresses the entire body and brain. The body gets used to this over time. If you can stay stopped for a period of time, you will realize how much alcohol has been affecting your body and brain.

I don't think I am dependent, though I must admit there has been times when I will absolutely ache inside me for a drink
-most people who identify as alcoholics obsess over drinking, don't always drink nightly, but when they have one drink, they drink a lot, as if a switch has been turned on inside of them.

I used to call it "stress relief" not knowing how much stress it was really putting on my body. WE often don't know if we are dependent upon alcohol until the alcohol is taken away from us. Then we find out.

but only at the end of the week It often doesn't matter how much or how often one drinks, it's the effect of the alcohol that is sought. Some people drink so infrequently, but when they do, all bets are off!

I will drink, fall asleep, wake and carry on till it runs out I did that, too, except I only bought what I knew my body could handle or I'd drink it ALL until I ran out. So I "limited" my intake for each drinking episode. Yes, a lot of work to get obliterated! And I could stay up late, get up early and be productive (yet buzzed in the evenings). I'd wake up from my "nap" and go to the store and buy more and the cycle would begin again.

According to the National Institute of Health, 2 drinks is the amount a woman can drink and most women don't drink daily. I think 3 is for men. That's 2 beers or 3 ounces of liquor (1.5 ounces per drink) for a female, 3 beers or 4.5 ounces of liquor for a male.

People without a problem can stop drinking whenever they want with no problem. If you can stay stopped for 90 days, try it and see how you feel. If this is too long or you can't see doing this, stick around SR! Keep reading and posting!

Glad you are here!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
fgo

Sweating profusely was definetly one of my reactions to constant drinking. Once i stopped drinking, so did the sweating.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think I am dependent, though I must admit there has been times when I will absolutely ache inside me for a drink, mainly red wine and strong lager (Stella), but only at the end of the week, and but when I buy it, its always in bulk and I will drink, fall asleep, wake and carry on till it runs out, then when I have to go out and do shopping ect, well thats when the sweating starts and only begins to stop when I get back home.
This paragraph rings alarm bells for me. You say you're not dependent yet you 'absolutely ache' for red wine. You may not be physically dependent, but to ache for something is at least a craving, and most ordinary drinkers do not 'ache' for alcohol. I totally know the feeling that you mean, and it's awful, but you can get to a point where you don't ache like that any longer, if you get sober. That's what happened for me, anyhow. I very, very, very rarely think about alcohol now, and I've only been sober 4 months.

You also say that you drink, fall asleep, wake up and start again. This is also very worrying behaviour and though you don't do it on a daily basis, alcoholism is progressive - you probably didn't start out drinking as much as you do now, in the same way that you could be drinking more than you do at this moment and drink it more often than you do now, if you don't stop drinking.

I can't remember sweating profusely, but I do know that if I had a particularly boozy night I would feel hot and clammy for a while the next day. Sweating can also be linked to anxiety... which is also linked to heavy alcohol consumption... so whatever it is that is making you sweat, it will DEFINITELY help this if you stop drinking.

But alcohol isn't just making you sweat, and I'm sure you know that.

Do you have any plans to get sober?

Welcome to SR and all the best to you.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR conf4sed4

I had that too I'm afraid. It probably really is the booze and is very likely withdrawal symptoms. I had it for a year maybe before I quit and it stopped 2 weeks after I gave up completely. It is nice to not have to accept that as normal anymore x