Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The thought of drinking is actually a lot better than drinking itself...

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

This is what I've finally come to terms with and using it is working great for me,

Because I leave for work most mornings now at around 5am, by 11am I am around half way thru my day, this is the point where my demon starts to kick in, where he tells me that I work hard and I'd be doing no harm to anybody calling the pub for a few nice beers after work (around 3pm). I have staff who work for me who can drop me at the pub and my wife would more than happily pick me up around 5pm. It was on a plate for me most days and I couldn't resist it.

Now I have come to terms with the fact that once I'd had that first sip then the rest became a chore for me, but because I'd started then I had to see it through. Once home then the wine would open and I'd be on fire enjoying myself until of course when I woke in the morning I'd realise that I'd made another mistake.

So the key, as I'm sure that you're all aware is not to have that 1st sip.....mainly because drinking isn't all that its cracked up to be. Especially if you're like me and you can't have "a few beers".

Its only taken me 32.5 yrs to work that one out. .

Bruno.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Took me way longer, Bruno. Everything you say is true, and it doesn't matter how often we repeat it or how we say it. Valuable and helpful insight - thanks so much.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

"Phenomenon of Craving" in a nutshell. Gald your seeing it now.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could not agree more. At a little over 8 weeks sober, that voice in my head still creeps in and tells me how lovely and relaxing a drink would be. I counteract that by thinking of what happens after the 1st drink, it's one big head game, headache, etc. I know the drill. "The thought of drinking is better than actually drinking" I'll have to keep this in my head when I start to throw an internal fit about why I can't be a normal drinker!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely! Took me a while to figure that one out. And I still have that stupid voice suggesting that a drink would be nice. I'm slowly killing it though!

My other favourite inspiring thought is 'just because I can, doesn't mean I should'. The simplest thoughts are often the most effective x
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exactly... it's taken me long enough to figure out that it isn't the eighth drink that gets me drunk, it's the first. Once realising that it's a hell of a lot easier to decline. Well done on beating the voice x
Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very true !

I would actually get excited when that faulty thought came to my mind, my heart would race and I always ended up picking up that alcohol after work, or perhaps even while out at lunch... Total insanity, as the end was ALWAYS the same...