Notices

How?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How?

Maybe I'm in the wrong place to post this, but maybe someone can explain....I don't drink every day, and rarely to excess, but have found some solace in reading everyones posts out here, so thanks for sharing. I just don't understand sometimes....yesterday while I was cleaning the house, I had 6 beers. Cooked dinner, husband had no idea as I was totally fine. Then we proceeded to each have 14 beers in the evening while watching TV. Went to bed at 1130pm, and still woke up at 6am and went for my 4 mile run while he got ready for work. Felt fine, I feel fine, and have gotten tons done today. I am 110lbs, and almost 5'2". I just don't know how my body somehow makes each day happen without falling apart?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you planning to stop drinking?

If so, you can find lots of support here.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newtothis1979 View Post
....I don't drink every day, and rarely to excess.............yesterday while I was cleaning the house, I had 6 beers.... Then we proceeded to each have 14 beers in the evening while watching TV.
So 20 beers in a night is not considered excessive ?

Normal drinkers rarely question their habits, nor do they visit these forums.

Perhaps it's time to get more honest with yourself.

Lots of help here.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is that a normal, every day occurrence?

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

We all have different levels and roads.

For me I was able to drink very heavy and use drugs for little over a decade and feel alright, getting up being super active ect..

Then around 15 years of this abuse it started getting harder and harder. Shaking started and then next thing I knew I had to drink day and night to live. That lasted many more years.

You'll hear this again and it is a fact--- Alcoholism is a progressive disease how and when it keeps progressing is different . But it will get worse and continue to do so!!!!!

So I hope you are doing some inventory and thinking of changing. If so, you found a great place to begin.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm in the wrong place to post this, but maybe someone can explain....I don't drink every day, and rarely to excess, but have found some solace in reading everyones posts out here, so thanks for sharing. I just don't understand sometimes....yesterday while I was cleaning the house, I had 6 beers. Cooked dinner, husband had no idea as I was totally fine. Then we proceeded to each have 14 beers in the evening while watching TV. Went to bed at 1130pm, and still woke up at 6am and went for my 4 mile run while he got ready for work. Felt fine, I feel fine, and have gotten tons done today. I am 110lbs, and almost 5'2". I just don't know how my body somehow makes each day happen without falling apart? YET !!
How bad do you want to get before you "understand" ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

That's a lot of booze for a small body, and it will catch up with you one of these days. I don't know what your definition of drinking to excess means, but that's excess in my world. Most "normal" drinkers don't need a six pack to clean the house or a twelve pack to watch tv. If you're finding solace in the posts it's probably because you can relate to what people are writing about their problems. I think it is amazing how the human body recovers from alcohol abuse initially. The thing is, when it finally is affected it seems it's in a very serious way and it's often too late to reverse the damages.

I used to be able to run 5 miles after a night of drinking, and swim, and go to the gym, etc. that was many moons ago. Do your routine for many years and you'll end up where I am now-overweight, no exercise, feeling like crap about myself physically. Or maybe you won't...no one has a crystal ball. I'd say "Get out now while you still can!"
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Normal drinking for a woman is 2 drinks. That's 2 beers or 3 oz. of liquor. And the typical woman does NOT drink daily.

I don't know your age, but trust me, one day your body will fall apart or at least have repercussions due to your alcohol/beer consumption. It's amazing how much damage we can inflict on ourselves before the damage becomes known to us.

I wish you well,
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome newtothis. It's good you're questioning your drinking habits. I do think there's good reason to be concerned where this is going. Long ago, I could consume massive amounts and still feel fine, but as the others have said - it will catch up with you. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. I didn't understand what that meant until I was drinking a 30-pack a day, starting in the morning.

Keep reading and posting - we'd love to help you figure this out and have a healthier life.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by NoFireWater View Post
"Get out now while you still can!"
I completely agree. I regret not quitting earlier. But I also know it was meant to be. That I had to go through what I did to finally get it. I just wish I got it sooner. I hope you do too. No way is 20 beers in one evening normal for a 110 lb. female. I think you know it too, deep down, because normal drinkers don't search out sites like this. I got a lot of support here, it will be here for you too.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

From online BAC page:

A BAC rating of 0.20% represents very serious intoxication. In general most first-time drinkers are unconscious by about 0.15%. A range of 0.35% to 0.40% usually represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning. 0.40% is the accepted lethal dose for about 50% of adult humans. However, in rare cases a very heavy long time drinker may be able to more than double that number.

Are you sure you only drink occasionally and not to excess?

I did a BAC calc online (Hypothetical), because I don’t know how many hours passed while you were drinking the 14 beers.

If you drank fourteen 12oz beers over 6 hours at 110 lbs, your estimated BAC would be: 0.470 I didn’t even count the 6 beers you had before.

If this BAC calculator is correct. This is some serious sh*t !
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Question

Are you really sure that you believe you are not drinking to excess???
I too am unsure of your age but get out now whilst you can.

I drank heavily when I was younger and felt fine. It took me 25+ years to realise or accept I was an alcoholic, years I will not get back.

Glad you're here.
Hope we are helping

Last edited by Hexipuff; 08-09-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

Good god that's a lot of drinkin'. Regardless of what you're holding together, alcohol is a toxin to your system.

If you're interested in stopping that, a lot of us can support you.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome newtothis

like others have said - if you want to change things, there's a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So, here cuz of alcohol. Love my tequila. It doesn't love me. Have the most wonderful mother and just hurt her a lot by my drinking. Feels lousy. Not remembering stuff, too. You all know the scene.... So glad this site is here. I need you!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just don't know how my body somehow makes each day happen without falling apart?
As others have said, it eventually will, though probably not at the age of 33 (which I'm guessing is your age from your user name?).

One thing a counselor once pointed out to me about my swimming (back when I was drinking daily): "Yeah, that will just allow you to convince yourself for longer that what you're doing is fine."

The human body is amazing, and being young and exercising can make it feel amazing, but it's not infallible.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you 427
you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newtothis1979
I just don't know how my body somehow makes each day happen without falling apart?
I can't tell you why, but I can tell you how come you weren't a wreck the next day.

Not all people are equally prone to hangovers. I'm not too prone to them either. I'd always be fine until 1PM, then get some nausea. Food would usually fix things, jumping in the pool and swimming 1-2K always did.

You're probably the same, just not a big hangover person. Since the main cause of hangovers is dehydration, maybe our bodies just retain water better, who knows, the damage you're doing to your body is the same. If I recall correctly, in terms of US standard drinks (a 330ml beer), women are advised not to drink more than 9 a week. You drank more than twice that much in a day, and MetalChick says your BAC might have reached lethal levels...

You say you rarely drink to excess. Fine, but I hope you'll agree that was drinking to excess. How often does this happen?