Notices

Day 10.... I WILL NOT DRINK TODAY!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
raf

Day 10.... I WILL NOT DRINK TODAY!

in the 20 some years that alcohol has controlled my life I've "quit" more times than I can count.

In all the attempts there has always been two numbers that have stood in my way; 10 and 14.

I dont know why but EVERY attempt that lasted more than a day or two has always ended on day 10 or 14.

NOT THIS TIME!!!!!!!!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear you, it's been the same with me so far this year and I'm one day behind you today. What are you doing to get past it this time? Me, I'm going to meetings, calling people, exercising and eating like a horse.

Originally Posted by raf View Post
in the 20 some years that alcohol has controlled my life I've "quit" more times than I can count.

In all the attempts there has always been two numbers that have stood in my way; 10 and 14.

I dont know why but EVERY attempt that lasted more than a day or two has always ended on day 10 or 14.

NOT THIS TIME!!!!!!!!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
raf

Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
I hear you, it's been the same with me so far this year and I'm one day behind you today. What are you doing to get past it this time? Me, I'm going to meetings, calling people, exercising and eating like a horse.
I can relate to the eating.... I'm walking a lot, talking with my family who for the first time are involved with my recovery. Thats the difference this time and its HUGE!!!! Being able to talk with my wife and son honestly and have them respond, honestly...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for recognizing you needed to make some changes in your recovery to get past those days.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe just try an AA meeting to be with others who understand what you are going through? Welcome to Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is something great about double digits! Congrats on your determination!!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go Raf! You got this!!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Raf,
This is my DAY 9, so if we stick with it together, you'll always be a day ahead of me!!!! HANG IN THERE!! I drank heavily every day for 30 years, and am struggling, but every day is getting better...... I too am talking to my wife all the time about my newfound sobriety. She is supporting me so much which helps immensely. Within the next several days I'll start talking to my 3 teenagers too.... it's time.

I never went to an AA meeting before Aug1 (hell, I never even admitted to being an alcoholic until a few days before that), and so far I've gone to 8 meetings in 8 days! They are really helping me a lot. I did not know what to expect, but have met so many great supportive people, of all ages, and from all walks of life. People ranging from corporate executives, politicians, tattoo artists, regular Joes, and everyone in-between. What we all have in common is being POWERLESS to alcohol, and that we need a Greater Power (which can mean different things to different people) to restore us to sanity.

Hang in there RAF, we can do this!!! Try an AA meeting or two; you have nothing to lose.

JohnnyOneDay
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
raf

Thanks everyone. It's amazing how the mind works. It's already trying to convince me that today is the day I fail.... Not happening... I may fail tomorrow but not today...

I actually had an "eye opener" this morning. My daughter who is grown and moved out but I speak with daily (she wasn't aware of my recovery) was talking with my wife on the phone this morning. She asked my wife what was up with me lately. My wife asked what she meant. She replied "He doesn't seem angry, he seems in a much better mood."

I honestly don't notice any change in my demeanor but its good to see others do. Thats very motivating for me, plus my oldest is now involved and very supportive...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there Raf! It must be a real boost to know that your daughter's noticed a positive change in you. Rely on that support, and remind yourself of all the wonderful things you have to gain by staying sober. I found that exercise was a real distraction, as were other hobbies and generally filling my time with positive activities. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

My first attempt I only made it to 14 days as well, but i'm on day 68 today! You can do this!!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
raf

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
My first attempt I only made it to 14 days as well, but i'm on day 68 today! You can do this!!
68! Awesome.... I'm having a rough day today but still moving forward. The "lets have a drink" portion of my brain is in overdrive. At least I can recognize it for what it is I suppose.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

You can do it , I hope you pick up and use some type of program to help you learn to live without the drink.

And the two numbers that you think get you 10 and 14 arent it.

The number you seem to stand in your way is 1. Those 1's are everything that gets us drunk.

Without that first sip you wont have to have the second.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Stick with it, raf! Someone here wrote that one day is as important as another. There's nothing magical about those numbers. Mind over matter, right? You can do it!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well done for being so strong... keep distracting on here if it helps xx
Old 08-09-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
raf

Originally Posted by bluegem View Post
well done for being so strong... keep distracting on here if it helps xx

Oh I am... My work keeps me in front of a computer all day and I've had SR up constantly for the last several days. I dont sit here and stare at it but if I start thinking of drinking, I flip right over here..

Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this raf!

D
Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
raf

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You can do this raf!

D
You are right, I CAN!!!!!! Here we go, DAY 11....

Today is starting a little different though. I've been feeling pretty good in the mornings, all things considered. Today however, I'm not feeling very well. I'm nauseous and "gittery". My head is pounding and I seem hyper sensitive to light.

But.... NOT TODAY... MAYBE TOMORROW BUT NOT TODAY!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Bring on Day 11! Keep the positive going!

Jim
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry you're not feeling well. Stay strong! Keep up the great attitude! You are doing so well!