Notices

Day 4...feeling better, rough night though

Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4...feeling better, rough night though

The sleep thing is still an issue , but I managed to get some shut eye. Just like every other time I've tried to sober up, the dreams are SOOOO intense and real. Don't remember my dreams when I go to bed drunk as a skunk. But now, it's the kind of dreams that stick with me until like 10 am, weird. I'm feeling strong, like I can do this. Had to get over that few day hurdle. As I mentioned in previous posts I started the Atkins diet the day I quit the drinking. So I'm withdrawing from alcohol and sugars/carbs right now. Feel great all day, especially today, lighter. I hope you all are doing well, bring on night 4!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been having intense dreams too- when I can sleep that is. And they're all about things I regret while drinking or people I've hurt. It's like I can't rest awake or asleep but the mind's gotta work this out I guess. I admire u for starting a diet too...I've been eating junk food the past few days but am going healthy shopping today. Glad you're feeling lighter, keep up the awesome work
Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny, my dreams are about the same things as well as things I'm scared of in the future....I've done this before, it passes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep moving forward!

fyi, we don't withdraw from sugars and carbs, you're just lowering your glycemic levels by eating healthier foods! Are you keeping an eye on your calorie intake?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup, I'm not going the bacon cheeseburger without bread route. Lots of salads, chicken, tuna fish , eggs, turkey and swiss cheese rolls.....
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't seen a lot of talk about the physical withdrawal from alcohol, but based on what I've read, you have just passed the peak of the physical withdrawal symptoms, which occur around 72 hours.

That means you've passed your first big hurdle!

The physical withdrawal typically lasts 7 days for your body to adjust to no more booze in your body.

After that comes the challenge of your commitment not to drink. The physical cravings will not be there, it will be the mental cravings that you will have to ignore.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Stay strong...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm right here with you day four!! Congrats! :-)

I'm glad to hear that you aren't going the cheeseburger sans the bun route for your Atkin's plan.

I'm no expert but I do read a lot about nutrition, so I thought I should give some unsolicited advice! ;-) Here goes;
DO drink tons of water and find a way to replace your electrolytes. Try to eat wild caught fish (small fish are better, contain less toxins), organic, hormone free, naturally raised meat/eggs. Leafy green veggies are the most nutrient dense, organic is ideal but if you have to make a choice- go with organic meats.

While withdrawal isn't the accurate term for the adjustment the body goes through when beginning a low sugar/carb diet- there can be some pretty nasty side-effects in the beginning. Since you've just quit drinking- you're already cutting out a TON of sugar/carbs and your body could be really depleted of it's natural vitamin stores presently. There is potential for your body/mind to interpret these nutritional cravings, as alcohol cravings- definitely give yourself every nutritional advantage possible! Eat as many snacks as your plan suggests and don't skip meals or snacks, or let yourself get too hungry. There are studies that suggest glycemic issues and alcoholism are somehow related- it's something to consider anyway.

I tried to ad a link for you on nutritional supplementation for Atkin's but I don't have enough posts to ad a link yet... BUMMER! :-( I just googled- supplements to take while on Atkins, and LIVESTRONG had a great little article. But there is a lot of good info out there on the supplements for your Atkin's plan AND for alcohol withdrawal. EVERY NUTRITIONAL ADVANTAGE POSSIBLE! That's my mantra. :-D

Anyway, congrats again on day FOUR!!! I'm thrilled that there is someone here on the same day with me. :-) YAY!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I just read read, regarding the dreams, that when you stop drinking you go into " rebound REM sleep", which explains the recent crazy dreams
Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

what is a "swiss cheese roll" ? Inquiring minds need to know!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just take a piece of swiss cheese put some turkey on top and roll it up and eat it like a scooby snack. I generally buy the Whole Foods real turkey as opposed to your typical deli turkey, less sodium and other crap they usually throw in. I dip it in mustard.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

scooby snack? :rotfxko

i do that too, but put a pickle slice in the middle.

I buy the Costco carved turkey breast, it's similar, not cold-cut-ie at all.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good call, buying some pickles tonight then.....just want to get to the one week mark without drinking already and the two week mark for atkins induction..." things" should get easier from there.....
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

or to skip the extra sodium, you can use fresh cucumber slices, or fresh tiny zucchini. i buy the baby seedless ones, they are quite tender, (no belching).
Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It appears we should be taking this to an Atkins message bpard. But I gotta say, being on this diet makes it feel easier for me to stop the drinking. Basically telling myself I'm on an overall health kick, which just has to rule out alcohol as well.....day 4 ...feeling better