Notices

reached a rough 90 days

Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

reached a rough 90 days

I've been reading these forums over the past 3 months to help motivate myself. Thanks for all your posts because it did help me a lot in the beginning. Finally decided to join so I can stay on this path.

I had been struggling with alcohol the past 4 years after an "event" in my life and tried to quit many times. I drank so that I could forget and definitely accomplished that with 4 years of heavy binge drinking.. The longest I went before this was last year for about 25 days but wasn't really counting.. so 3 months ago I decided I was ready because I was scared for my health and just wanted my life back.

Getting through this past week was one of the hardest, it felt almost as bad as the first week did. This entire week I've had anxiety and been stopping myself from buying a bottle of gin to celebrate getting close to 90 days.

So finally getting to this 90 day mark feels amazing.. like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.. My mind was so foggy for the past 3 months. It was scary because I felt brain dead everyday, sort of like I was really drunk but not (if that makes sense). All of a sudden today though, my mind sort of cleared up.. I forgot what it felt like to be clear headed like this.. it's something I haven't experienced in many years. Can't get too excited though because I know the holidays are going to be very difficult to get through.. that's where I slipped last year.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard and congrats.

We have some crazy thinking dont we. I know I do , this alcoholic would always think wow it going to be a month , then two, ect. I need to celebrate with a drink.

I mean really thats some stinkin thinkin. But I stayed open and teachable and worked on all the suggestions given. I think it was about the 5 or 6 month that I didnt think about drinking to "celebrate".

Keep on going . It gets better and better.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Find another way to celebrate the 90 days, OK?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations - & welcome to the posting side of things Sanibel

With the right support and some forward planning there's no reason at all why you can't be sober throughout your holidays

You'll find a lot of encouragement and ideas here

D
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you all

I ended up having a pretty low key day.. Went for a bike ride in the morning and have been watching movies all day & night I'm really enjoying this feeling I have right now. Being able to relax without a drink is so beautiful..
Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sanibel View Post
Being able to relax without a drink is so beautiful..
I'm slowly getting there and I have to agree, it is beautiful!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sanibel, reached a rough 90 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats :-) There are so many ways to celebrate without drink - cooking a nice dinner, buying a new outfit/CD/flowers (whatever floats your boat), going for a long walk, going bowling with mates... going for a bike ride and watching DVDs sounds the perfect way to celebrate 90 days, go you! :-)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90! I hope to be there soon, but wouldn't you know that time passes when it passes.
What about getting a 90 minute massage to celebrate your 90 days? (And then, when you reach 180 days, you can get another 90 min massage but be worked on by two people simultaneously.) That's my plan.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

still going strong here and feeling good. Definitely takes some will power in the beginning to reach this new normal. Wish I could stop counting days but I went sober around my birthday so it's hard to forget. ha

Anyone can do this if you don't stop believing!
I'm getting into the best physical shape of my life and would never have been able to do this if I kept drinking.

I'm not qualified to give advice but one thing that helped me a lot was to take my mind off the cravings. Every time I got a craving I would shoot some hoops, go biking or even play darts if I couldn't go outside.. needless to say that happened about 3-4 times a day starting around noon.

Educating myself about the long term health effects from alcohol helped my motivation as well. Very eye opening and surprised they are not talked about more in our society like the dangers of smoking. Diabetes, dementia, liver problems and death due to drinking are things I would like to avoid going forward.