SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What activities or hobbies did you pick up when you stopped drinking? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/264749-what-activities-hobbies-did-you-pick-up-when-you-stopped-drinking.html)

walkingwithgod 08-08-2012 07:50 AM

What activities or hobbies did you pick up when you stopped drinking?

What activities or hobbies did you pick up or get back to after you stopped drinking. I am hoping more quality time with my toddler, and I need something that is just for me as well. Have a Blessed day all.

gincognito 08-08-2012 07:54 AM

The good: exercise, yoga, sports, playing guitar and singing Johnny Cash toonz
The bad: eating lots of junk food and a new found addiction to cherry coke zero

Live2Run25 08-08-2012 07:58 AM

I run alot more, go to more night events (since i'm not rushing home to go out to a bar) this past weekend I went with my family to a hot air balloon glow. I had a great time. Good quality time with the family.

walkingwithgod 08-08-2012 08:02 AM

It seems sad to say, but tomorrow I will be going to my first football game sober. Not sure how that will go. I used to be in good shape and loved to run, it will be tough getting back into it. I would love to be able to run a 5K on Thanksgiving as we have many races in Massachusetts.

gincognito 08-08-2012 08:11 AM

I ran the Blue Hills 10k trail race last fall. Those trail were rough! I didn't walk so good for a week after but it was fun.

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod (Post 3524388)
It seems sad to say, but tomorrow I will be going to my first football game sober. Not sure how that will go. I used to be in good shape and loved to run, it will be tough getting back into it. I would love to be able to run a 5K on Thanksgiving as we have many races in Massachusetts.

walkingwithgod 08-08-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by gincognito (Post 3524393)
I ran the Blue Hills 10k trail race last fall. Those trail were rough! I didn't walk so good for a week after but it was fun.

I would love to do that some day. Congrats on the race.

duane1 08-08-2012 08:13 AM

I started playing guitar while abusing alcohol, but only progressed so far because of it. Now that I have quit, my playing has really started to take off. I would like to get involved in playing other instuments as well when I get a little further with guitar. I have just started playing with my praise team at church.
I also run and lift weights. To me, exercise is essential to my recovery.

Lost3000 08-08-2012 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by gincognito (Post 3524378)
new found addiction to cherry coke zero

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't really picked up any new hobbies. Only recently have I been wanting to. I guess I'm just so glad to not be doing the old stuff anymore that life is just ok on it's own - without new hobbies. I will say that my reading of books has increased tenfold.

LoftyIdeals 08-08-2012 09:04 AM

Read, read, read. And I'm now starting a regular exercise routine. Swimming and cycling.

doggonecarl 08-08-2012 09:33 AM

I've been doing a lot more reading. Got interested in fountain pens after I quit drinking and have been doing a lot of letter writing, corresponding with family and friends.

FlyerFan 08-08-2012 09:47 AM

I am a craft addict now. Lol. Puzzles, games, yarn, all that stuff. It keeps me busy and happy.

Mark75 08-08-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod (Post 3524372)
What activities or hobbies did you pick up or get back to after you stopped drinking

SR and AA... LOLOL, oh, that's not what you are asking ;)

I found new depth and meaning in all the things I used to do. I am very blessed with many activities and interests... though sometimes it can be a curse, LOL

I think the one activity that I really picked up was fly fishing. It is a very demanding and challenging sport that I never had the patience or mind to do with anything approachiong finesse.

I ski, bike, play guitar, hike, camp (I am a Boy Scout Leader)... lots of stuff... and it is ALL more fun and rewarding than it used to be.

:)

mwstylee 08-08-2012 02:54 PM

Living healthy: I've become borderline vegetarian. I also work out or do something active for an hour every single day.

I now want to succeed in life: I used to spend all my time at work or at home drunk. I decided to find a way to spend my new free time that would get me a higher salary, and that was to study for CFA exams and become a chartered financial analyst. I hit the books for 2-3 hours every day after work.

Cooking: I used to eat out for almost every meal. Now I eat out at restaurants MAYBE 2 times a month. I cook my own food for every meal and bring my own food to work. It has saved me about $9,000(!!!!!!....I know!! Crazy!) so far.

94 days sober today and feeling great. Thanks for starting this thread.

Prodigy 08-08-2012 03:15 PM

IT's not really new but I certainly am much more involved in golfing. I try to go 3-4 times a week since I can play for free through work.

walkingwithgod 08-08-2012 04:04 PM

I love golf, but always had beers when playing. Also I was spending so much on booze I didn't have a lot of extra cash for golf.

Prodigy 08-08-2012 07:47 PM

Yeah booze were a big part of my golfing experience as well. Luckily it's easier to play well sober haha.

Happier 08-08-2012 07:54 PM

Same here. Golfing more. I used to drink a lot while golfing but this is one of my hobbies that I can also enjoy sober. Funny thing is that I really don't seem to golf any better (yet). Glad to be healthier though and being able to enjoy the rest of the day after golf!

Also starting to read more and to exercise more. About 3 weeks ago I was able to do my first 5k in about 5 years. Cycling more and will eventually hit the pool as my ultimate goal is to do another small triathlon event. Really enjoying the healthier eating and lifestyle rather than drinking myself to an early grave.

Oh...also started waking up early so I can drink my coffee as I sit on the porch and watch the sunrise. Is that a hobby?

I have a list of other new interests but haven't found time to start them yet! I like that. : )

IndaMiricale 08-08-2012 07:58 PM

I always read quite a bit, but now I dont have to re-read or just put things together.
Getting up early, never did that for decades
Volunteering my time to groups
Speaking of golf, I golf much better now
Meditate

Just to name a few. Its so much better today , and I am so much better than I derserve. :)

MetalChick 08-08-2012 07:59 PM

Ty for asking.. Nice topic

I play guitar, but just ordered a violin :)

sugarbear1 08-08-2012 09:08 PM

All of the things I gave up while sitting and drinking and thinking about living a life.