Notices

Been sober for 35 days... Now what?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been sober for 35 days... Now what?

So the good news is I am still sober after leaving treatment, I have a job. But I havent really done anything to fill in all that free time. Besides my job, I just come home and wonder, what do I do now? I am an alcoholic, before I went to detox then treatment. I was drinking from when I woke up, to when I went to bed. Often blacking out every day. I litterally had to have a bottle of something around 24 7, cause the withdrawals were severe.

Im am so releived to have a clear head, but what do I do with it? I stoped eating prossessed foods for a little more commitment. So it takes a bit longer to cook and stuff. But other then that I dont know what to do.

What do I do with all this free time after work?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome EternalWinter

I had that problem too - I had no idea how to live sober or fill my time...
Volunteering really helped me...it filled my time, helped me feel useful and helped others too

is that a possibility for you?

D
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site EternalWinter ....What did they teach you in rehab?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I attend AA meetings regularly.

As Sapling asked... what did rehab say to do after you were released?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They tought me a lot of things. But not much about keeping busy.

They did mention AA and I certanily am planning to go. easeir said then done... But I have been sober for over a week out of treatment with out AA. So im telling my self I dont need it.

They also tought me about irrational thinking and I know im being irrational. Im so confused as to why I know im being irrational. But still think the same way
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You remind me of how far down it took me too. I had to relearn how to think outside of when I could have the first or next drink. You can take the money you spent before and start saving it for a realky great first year sober gift to self. In the meantime you can learn a new language, jump out of airplanes, volunteer at the local foid kitchen or VA, drive the sick and elderly to church, learn to ski, dive, hang glide, take up flying with an airplane this time, hike, bike, swim, run, see a play, act in a play, read a great book, go back to school, teach, be a student, build some furniture, sculpt, paint, learn to play an instrument, learn to cook, learn programming, write, help out at an animal shelter, adopt a pet in need, redecorate your place, paint it, restore an antique, go to a movie, take a second job, build models, turn wood, learn to weld, take up pottery, astronomy, collecting, singing, grow a garden in pots, ride a horse, do a river float trip, camp, get an RV, get a four wheeler and go four wheeling, race dirt track cars, go to the beach, learn to surf.

I could go on but those should keep you busy for a week or two. The problem isn't that there is too little to do, but that there are so many choices it is hard to choose. You see, you are free now. Don't let it intimidate, just go for it, one at a time.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalWinter View Post
Can you name a couple of them?....Nothing about a program of recovery?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Absolutely right Itchy! Now that you are sober, you can do anything your heart desires. Mine has me volunteer at church, learning an instrument, running and exercising......
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now it's time to help others. The goal should be to do for others what has been done for you. Your payment will be a sense of pride, helpfullness, and no desire to drink.

We are at our best when we are of service.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalWinter View Post

They did mention AA and I certanily am planning to go. easeir said then done... But I have been sober for over a week out of treatment with out AA. So im telling my self I dont need it.

They also tought me about irrational thinking and I know im being irrational. Im so confused as to why I know im being irrational. But still think the same way
Don't believe everything you tell yourself.

All the best.

Bob
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome EternalWinter!

Congratulations on your time sober! I think we all feel a bit lost and bored at first and coming from all the activity in treatment, it probably feels like even more of a contrast.

Evenings were the hardest for me, too, so I spent a lot of time here in the first weeks. I added things over time as I felt like doing more and picked up things I'd enjoyed in the past. I also think it's great just to try some new things. It's definitely a learning process, though, so hang in there because it really does get better!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well congrats on the beginning of a great journey.

I went a whole week many times without my AA program. And that always ended in utter failure. That is just me , but dont think cause you have been sober for 7 days fresh out of rehab that you cured. We are easy forgeters .

But anyway man oh man , what to do with all that time . Whatever you want and lots of things you have never done. Volunter somewhere, get active in a program whatever it may be. AA fills this alcoholic daily desire to do something . I dont have enough time in the day to do everything I could. And thats just fine now.

You can stay free, routing for you.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Remind yourself of what you used to do when you were young, without the alcohol, and used to enjoy. Good place to start! Could be sports, the beach, really anything. Once you identify those things, try a couple and see what happens.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me it was about rediscovering who I am. While active in my addiction I lost all sense of who I was and what made me feel good, genuinely. I've been abstinent for nearly six months and feel like sometimes, damn, ok need to have more fun! And I will keep trying new things until I find what works. I was so identified with my defects of character that I didn't know who I was without them. They defined me.

I have also heard it said to spend as much time on recovery as you did in your disease. Needless to say I go to a lot of meetings
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Itchy, I'm adding a few of those to my bucket list.

For now, I'm continuing some of the self-affirming activities started while I was still drinking: remaining active with local arts and singing in my church choir. These activities, plus a demanding job, keep me quite occupied.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like the idea of volunteering

Also you could start some form of exercise

both will help you feel good about yourself

take care
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, exercise is so important. Get a membership at the Y or another gym. Go every day, if you can. A short walk, even low-intensity, will make a huge difference!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I second exercise-gym,walking or a class.I've just started yoga-good for mind and body.
Volunteer,join a class,take up a hobby. If you prefer to stay home,read,cook, bake a cake,bread,decorate,spring clean,make something,do the garden. start small.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
instant

Boredom is natures way of signalling to you that you have spare capacity. The time will be filled the only question is what with?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tai chi helped put my mind back together. Yoga. Just moving ...even when it's the last thing I want to do