SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Beginner's AA Meeting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/264718-beginners-aa-meeting.html)

quitforme79 08-07-2012 05:44 PM

Beginner's AA Meeting

So the few AA meetings I have gone to have been somewhat helpful but I felt somewhat lost because there were mostly people that had many years sober. Of course, they said great things and had inspirational stories but I felt a little out of place being the "newbie". So I found a beginner's meeting tonight, drove the 45 minutes and it was awesome. It was a small group and it allowed us to be more intimate and have more of a discussion focused around things newbie's are going through. It was perfect for me because people relayed how they are on day or 10 and really really struggling with trying to stay sober. Then there were people with 6 months that had some great advice. I am comforted tonight in the thought that I may have found my niche in this program, in a support that works for me in maintaining my sobriety. Just a great group of people really trying to keep one another sober. They asked me to go out to eat after but I just wasn't ready....so exhausted. I will go next time though :) All in all I was so terrified of going to AA and really was against it for a long time. It really is true what they say---you have to keep trying different ones until you find a fit. And if it's not for you that's ok too. Tonight, I am sober because of the people in that meeting. I look forward to seeing them again this week and being able to proudly say "yup, still sober"

Tres 08-07-2012 05:56 PM

That's so great to hear. I too was afraid to go to a meeting. I didn't go for the first 6 months. Once I started I felt so much relief. I go to two women's meetings a week. I have really look forward to going. The support and love there is amazing. I am now at 9 months sober and feel better since joining AA.

Good for you!

jennikate 08-07-2012 06:00 PM

Awesome! Beginner's meetings rock. In my area, not all of the attendees are new but the focus is on the newcomer and helping them to understand the program and to get through that initial hard time. Glad you found a place where you fit in.

sugarbear1 08-07-2012 06:02 PM

We have a 12 step Alcoholism Forum on here!

Sapling 08-07-2012 06:12 PM

Good for you!!

Itchy 08-07-2012 06:20 PM

Congrats!
Yeah I was forced to go to my first one and then was told that it was part of our rehab. So I quit rehab for that and other reasons. Then a couple of weeks later I found the perfect home group for me. I needed that one on one in my early sobriety too. It is great to have a place to say it like it was and not be judged for it. Where who we were becomes less important than who we were becoming. Now I just use here at SR, but in early sobriety the right home group, and SR were an unbeatable combo for me.

quitforme79 08-07-2012 06:27 PM

Thanks sugarbear...i will check it out! And yeh Itchy, I need some face to face time as coming home after work at this point can lead me to become lonely and want to drink. I actually still want to drink but I won't and the meetings the past 2 nights have prevented me from doing so. Really helps with my cravings. I don't have a support system here as my family and friends are in another state so hopefully reaching out to others in recovery will be beneficial in that I won't tend to isolate like I have in the past. Get me out of the house to do sober things w sober people. And SR really is helping a lot, I wouldn't have even tried AA if it weren't for some people on here who mentioned how helpful it was :) I'm adding as much concrete to my foundation as possible in this early stage....gotta try something different because my way just wasn't cutting it. Feeling blessed <3

Ampsmarie 08-07-2012 06:43 PM

This Thursday will be my first beginners meeting. All of the ones I have been going to are open discussion. I am looking forward to Thursday because it's step study! :) Glad you found a good group!

changer 08-07-2012 06:44 PM

quitforme,
i want to thank you for this thread. it warms my heart and helps me stay sober today.
keep on going, you are on the right path:)

Zebra1275 08-07-2012 06:45 PM

Once you find a group where you fit in, the fellowship is awesome.

2granddaughters 08-07-2012 07:26 PM

quitforme79, I wish you the best in your recovery.

Bob R

Fallow 08-07-2012 07:47 PM

Nice! I'll have to check for a beginners meet too! Glad you are seemingly feeling better.

SobrietyNow 08-07-2012 08:28 PM

So happy for you! It's such a relief finding a room full of people that say "yeah, i know what you mean". Wishing you the best!

IndaMiricale 08-07-2012 09:02 PM

Thank you for putting a the biggest :c031: on my face I had today. Two minutes before midnight here. It was a good day for me, but yours is awesome. I am so glad you did it, and found what you found. :)

Stay on the beam :)

quitforme79 08-07-2012 10:27 PM

You guys are all the best...I am overwhelmed with the support I find here. Let me know how you like it amps!

SheWanders 08-08-2012 07:26 AM

I have been terrified of going to a meeting. Your post has helped me to think about it more seriously. Like everyone on here I have had many failed attempts at sobriety and have only tried to go it alone. Thanks for the inspiration.

FlyerFan 08-08-2012 09:10 AM

Thanks for this post. I too was terrified of AA 7 months ago, and today I am 7 and a half months sober thanks to those meetings. :)