Notices

Do cravings make you worried?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do cravings make you worried?

Whenever i get cravings i get real anxious. I dont even know if they are cravings. Thoughts enter my head about a time when i was using and i would get happy. Then i realize that maybe i am craving for drugs and get anxious. I never want to go back to pain pills. It is 70 days today. I think part of the reason i get anxious is becAuse so many people have told me if i dont practice the steps i will go back to using.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've discussed the step thing before Ttal - there's other ways to live a happy sober/clean recovered life apart from the 12 steps - there's many people here as testament to that.

I think, as long as we're actively working on our recovery and are happy being sober, as long as we have support behind us, and as long as we accept we cannot use again if we want to keep the life we have now, we'll be ok

Thoughts are thoughts - it's what we do in response to those thoughts that counts

D
Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks dee. I know they are just thoughts. I just dont want to give in ya know. I dont think i will. I want to stay clean.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, Ttal take a look around and you will see many people who recover without the 12 steps. It does take work to recover, but don't worry needlessly.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys vi still think alot of its PAWS. It is just an overall sense of nervousness about using. I still having trouble accepting the fact I am a drug addict. When i think about drugs and using them i get kind of angry with myself and then i get anxious.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have to deal with thoughts at one time or another - keep ratting them out here Ttal

D
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you ever thought about seeing a doctor about anxiety? Maybe a good time to see him/her about it. They could give you something to deal with it.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The anxious feeling is your addiction speaking, telling you lies again, lies like 'if you have just one more pill, these feelings will go away, you know what to do'. Am I close?

That voice will tell you to go back to using, to give up again, to turn around and start that slow walk downhill to darkness. That voice is not you, and it has no power over you anymore. You know the only way forward is through. It gets easier, it gets brighter, it gets more beautiful each day. And yes, it does get better.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
Thanks guys vi still think alot of its PAWS. It is just an overall sense of nervousness about using. I still having trouble accepting the fact I am a drug addict. When i think about drugs and using them i get kind of angry with myself and then i get anxious.
These are all totally normal feelings. If I had to label myself, I'd rather be an addict in recovery & sober than an addict using...be proud of yourself

Deep breaths and focus on where you are NOW...not the past. All you got is NOW my friend.

I like to remember what I'm grateful for now when my head gets a little too noisey.

You're doing great

Big hugs
Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I kow it is all just bull. I went for a workout and feel better. I always get these feelings and they go away. But my addiction always tells me it is the worst right now. That is pure bs. I am working towards the me that i always strive to be and I will not let that addiction ruin my life. I just get worried sometimes. I think it is paws the extreme anxiety because everyone i talked to that came off of suboxone at the dose i have said it gets way better after four months. I see a doctor and a therapist. My doctor has me on wellbutrin and my therapist wants me to go to aa, but i will not. Im going to wait another month on wellbutrin then may ask for a change. Its like im always emotional and before drugs i was never like that. Thats how i know its paws.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BTW debsam that is such an awesome quote at he bottom of your profile.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

my alcoholism showed up in other substances.

maybe write a feeling journal when you get a craving....it might help
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Great question..I havta say that yes cravings make me nervous. Maybe it is because I'm new to sobriety and have so many relapses under my belt. It's scary when out of nowhere I'm envisioning me dropping shots or smoking up in the garage and somewhere in the back of my mind it actually sounds good.

I'm studying as much as I can about urge surfing. So I can deal with the cravings and envision the real results.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My cravings were exhibited in my depression. Anxiety, too. There are many paths to sobriety, and their are threads here about many different programs.

Try them all! Or just try one to see if it works for you. I grabbed a program that has me hanging with others in recovery, and, guess what? I found others struggling with depression and anxiety and found out my malady wasn't unique.

That was empowering and encouraging for me. I learned from them a lot.

But if you do join a 12 step group, well, joining a 12 step group and not doing the steps just doesn't make much sense. I had to dig down inside and figure out reasons for my depression and anxiety other than just going without benzos and booze.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Feeling a little better today, but still feel really bad anxiety. Its just this uneasy feeling in my chet. I am trying to embrace it. Thats what my therpist told me to do. It is hard because i am use to hating it. I also gave up junk food and bad eating habits this week. Maybe that is why it is worse.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The anxiety about cravings is so hard. For a long time, on forums, people told me to work steps while craving--which did not really help me.

There are things I love to do that take me away from minor cravings. But when it is really bad, I have friends I can talk to. This was something I was always told was bad recovery, but it connects me to normal life and reminds me of what really matters to me. I think calling non-addict friends--the people you really care about--is one of the strongest bulwarks against cravings.

But the worry is still there. It should be. This is dangerous stuff. But it does get better.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks. I do sometimes talk to my dad which helps. Its just like man I am two and a half months sober. I thought it would be gtting better not worse. Is this what being sober will be like? I hope it gets better.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to do a little more than not drink or use Ttal.
Evejn tho I was no longer drinking I was doing the same things - sitting around watching TV mostly.

That's not enough to keep most people happy and interested in their life.

what new things are you doing with your life?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My experience was that it it did get worse for a while--but then it got better.

At the beginning, your enthusiasm for recovery gives you the energy to work against cravings. Then it becomes a grind. But then, it changes again and it is better. You just have to stick it out.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Dee i have been eating healthier for the past few days. The past two weeks i started working out. I do a morning grateful prayer. I go see a drug therapist and psychiatrist. I just started practicing meditation this week.