Notices

Do cravings make you worried?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yeah i think I have a pretty decent plan. The only thing is i get negative thoughts all the time, but i am lerning to just move fowrd. Two months i still pretty early on. This is the fight for my life so i know its going to be tough. It is just scary because that anxiousness takes over my mind.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It does get better. Much better. but it can get worse first. I don't mean to warn you that cravings never go away -- they do -- but that restless, anxious, discontent feeling, for me, stayed for about a year. It's takes time. I hate that saying, but it has proven itself true and truer the longer I stay sober.

Calling people is not failure, going to meetings and sharing about cravings isn't failure, acceptance that this may be the way it is for awhile isn't failure.

Using is.

And there is so much damned relief to be found doing the steps, doing that naval plucking we all have to get through to realize what made us addicts or alcoholics or both in the first place.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Tta 70 days today? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Just suffer through the anxiety, it'll get better as the days go by. Also, you'll stay clean if you don't work the steps, if you do work the steps, whatever. Just say NO when the urge pops in you mind.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ttal, 70 days is awesome! I can see how continued cravings and neagtive thoughts would leave you concerned. I'm glad to read that you have a plan in place to deal with this. A recovering friend of mine talks a lot about self-care. I suppose that if we want to stop hurting ourselves we'd better learn how to care for ourselves!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
Whenever i get cravings i get real anxious. I dont even know if they are cravings. Thoughts enter my head about a time when i was using and i would get happy. Then i realize that maybe i am craving for drugs and get anxious. I never want to go back to pain pills. It is 70 days today. I think part of the reason i get anxious is becAuse so many people have told me if i dont practice the steps i will go back to using.
It doesn't necessarily follow that that anxiety is a bad thing...

One of the things I'm learning to do is try and tell the difference between useful anxiety and useless anxiety. If I get a craving and it makes me anxious then that is a good thing because it puts me on my guard. If it caused no anxiety at all I would imagine that would put me in danger of slipping up. I'm not looking forward to a time when all my cravings disappear because there is a good chance that will never happen... I can fully imagine ten years down the line, still sober, passing people drinking in a beer garden on a sunny day and my AV kicking off...'one won't hurt right?'. But the whole point is to develop tools so that that doesn't cause me to panic and think that I have no control over the choice to drink.

It sounds like you are doing some good stuff to help yourself Ttal. Keep it up and you will be fine. If you are struggling just keep adding things to your plan til you feel better x