Notices

Just starting out...

Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just starting out...

Hi... i'm new here and abit scared!

I have only recently come to terms with my alcohol addiction.. I also have a mental health condition (schizoeffective disorder) ... I find I use alcohol to self medicate and it's got out of control... I also have a tendency to OD when drunk... which has caused alot of concern from everyone...

I'm getting help and started Acamprosate today ... the Dr wanted me to start antabuse but I wasn't sure about it... i would appreciate any advice on these medications from people who have experienced them...

thanx xxx
Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bluegem - good to have you join us
You'll find a lot of support here

Unfortunately I have no personal knowledge of either medication

D
Old 08-07-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for your reply xx

It's weird saying it out loud, it's always something i've hidden... but it feels good to finally face it... I haven't had a drink since 27th july now, so going OK so far..
Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Bluegem. You asked about Antabuse.
I was on it for a while. But after a few days, I thought 'why am I on it ' It's all in the mind anyways. You really don't need a tablet to stop you drinking. All you have to do is to stop taking it for three days and you're back drinking.
You have to get the mind-set to stop.
By the way, my Doctor gave me the wrong dosage. I nearly has a brain heammorage with it.
Take Care x
Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bluegem

I don't know about the drugs either, but I would recommend getting into a recovery program to help with the mental side of the addiction too. You'll get plenty of ideas here x
Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanx for your replies...

that sounds really scary Bonnie... glad your OK now..

I agree with you about it all being in the mind, I can 't take it forever so i would be scared that I would go back to drinking as soon as i stopped taking it...

a recovery program sounds good.. i have been in touch with the alcohol team in my area and have an appointment for september so hopefully that will help...

xxx
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluegem View Post
thank you for your reply xx

It's weird saying it out loud, it's always something i've hidden... but it feels good to finally face it... I haven't had a drink since 27th july now, so going OK so far..
Way to go, bluegem! That's right around my sober date as well.

I can't make any recommendations on meds - - never had luck with them, personally - - but I hope that you can work with your doctor to find what works for you.

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanx blueshades!! Good to hear your doing well too !

I'm finding this week abit easier than last week but I think thats because I have been busy this week so been distracted ...

it's so hard tho isn't it?

I kind of feel like i could just have one/two but i know it's probably not a good idea...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello bluegem.

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you identify with those documents.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanx for the advice... i have googled and read them... but I'm not religious so not sure that it's the right way for me .. xx
Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. Good luck on your journey, keep reading and posting, everyone will only be too happy to help xx
Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

thanx for the advice... i have googled and read them... but I'm not religious so not sure that it's the right way for me .. xx
I'm not religious either. =) You don't have to be religious to use the program. As long as it keeps ya from drinkin'.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OK great... I'll look into it... I want to see what the alcohol team have to say in September and see what sort of support they offer and then go from there... hopefully i'll be OK till then, tho each evening is a struggle at the moment...

xx
Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

OK great... I'll look into it... I want to see what the alcohol team have to say in September and see what sort of support they offer and then go from there... hopefully i'll be OK till then, tho each evening is a struggle at the moment...

xx
One day at a time, one hour at a time, even one minute at a time if you have to. Keep staying busy. Fill up all your free time with projects. Crafts, anything that keeps your mind and hands busy. And stay on this website. I log in every single day an it helps me to stay sober by reading and sharing experiences with others.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi BlueGem,

I see you are in Wales! I lived in London for 17 years, and my two best friends from the London days now live in Wales (where they originally came from). I understand it is very beautiful there.

Having to cope with a serious mental health condition and alcoholism must be incredibly difficult; I am glad you are getting proper care and you seem to have quite a positive outlook. I don't blame you for being wary of Antabuse - and in any case, I believe if you really want to stop, you don't need something like that. I guess what I am saying is that, if it were me, I wouldn't trust myself not to drink even on the Antabuse, meaning if I stop it is because of truly wanting to. (Which I do!)

Not sure how you feel, but I know alcohol screws with my head alot, and you can only be MUCH better off without it. Alcohol can take us to such dark, dark places emotionally. I wish you all the luck in the world and send strength your way. I know how hard it is - especially as drinking is the national passtime in the UK, LOL!

Best wishes for health and sobriety,

Claire
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanx yeh i'm taking things hourly at the moment ... I have an amazing therapist who has agreed to see me twice a week in these first few weeks so that's really helping... my time with her ends in september tho

Yes sheperdess i live in cardiff... it is beautiful here.. i'm lucky to have the brecon beacons on my doorstep... hoping to take the dog out there more often now...

thanx for all the lovely messages... it's so nice to know that i'm not alone... and it's nice to hear everyones stories on here... and be inspired by how far people have got... i hope one day i'm one of those success stories... i have a long way to go tho xxx
Old 08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

AA is my therapist and for me always was the best ones. Because it has been thousand of men and women that truly KNOW what I am dealing with.

And as you'll read over and over AA is not a religous thing, its a spirital growth thing.

Glad you found us, keep reading and posting.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you have a therapist who is helping you. It's scary to stop drinking, especially when you've been drinking to self-medicate. I did that too for depression/anxiety. You're definitely not alone, and if you look around here, you will see that we do recover and we do use many different paths.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thanx... yeh I saw my psychiatrist tuesday and she has adjusted my medication so that i don't feel like i need to self medicate to get to sleep ... as often that is what i do...

it'll be two weeks tomorrow... and i think i can feel some of my depression lifting slightly... it's only small things at the moment but my mood is definitely changing already... hope it continues !