Notices

Hello Everyone

Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hello Everyone

Hi, I am new here. I have been reading over some of the binge drinking posts as that is the type of alcoholic I am. It hurts for me to see myself type those words/say those words, but it is true, and I am in trouble. I have been doing this since I was 14, and I am finally facing that I need help at age 36. I don't drink daily. More like weekly or every other week, but when I do I can not stop until I pass out. I blackout every time now as well. I behave horribly. I have bruises all over my body the next day. I have sex with people I don't really like, and I don't even remember having sex.
I'm also a pretty serious agnostic, so going to AA kind of turns me off.
All I can think to do at this point is to reach out on this website, and try to stay away from my friends who like to get together for a drink. They all seem to handle it, but I just can't. I feel like my life is in shambles, and I am tired of ruining it.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Allesah

Have a look at AVRT. That seems to be the non AA recovery method of choice Or SMART if you have any meetings near you.

I wonder if your friends really handle it as well as you think they do...I know I have had an obsession over being an alcoholic for a long time, but when friends who I know drink alot have said things about health problems or anxiety issues they seem to be in complete denial that they could be alcohol related. It is probably a good idea to avoid them for a bit though.

Glad you're here x
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Welcome. You came to the right place. AA is non religious and there is a chapter in the Big Book devoted to the agnostics. Many people who attend AA are agnostic. I am not pushing the program but dont let being agnostic scare you away from potentially seeking support and a network of people on your road to recovery. But, there are other types of recovery methods if AA is not right for you. Good luck and keep coming around.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Leave all of your recovery options open. Investigate, seriously investigate, all the options. Sounds like you are hurtin'. I'm glad you want to stop beating yourself up. Welcome to SR!!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your warm welcome. I will look into those groups for sure. I may try AA if nothing else. Can't hurt to try, right?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome! You can learn so much here at SR. Most importantly you'll realize you're not alone. I bet some of your friends are worried about their drinking as well. There are many ways to stop, you'll figure out which methods work for your lifestyle and beliefs. Just posting here and reading is very helpful to a lot of us.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Allesah. I can relate to what you write about being a binge drinker. That was pretty much my M.O. Also, I am agnostic and for that reason have ruled out AA. While I cannot accept the idea of "turning over" some aspect of my life to a "higher power," I can say that I have encountered other agnostics here that are affiliated with AA.

Bottom line: try something. If that doesn't work, try something. Just quit drinking and don't quit trying.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Allesah

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - you'll find a lot of approaches being used here

Like others have said, I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

welcome

D
Old 08-06-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! It's good you're wanting to quit before you waste any more years of your life. YOu're still young, don't drink away your life.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard.

I didnt have sex sober for over 20 years , honestly scared me when I got sober. But thats for another section.

I am not a serious agnostic , I just dont believe in religion. But I do believe in any religion that makes people better for them.

But I am in AA and work it everyday, wouldnt be here without it. And love my new found friends and family. I am not saying its for you , but dont count it out before you actaully check it out. I cant give say I wouldnt like marriage , I have never been married.

Whatever path you choose , work it like you life depends on it. Cause if your like this alcohlic it surely does.

Routing for ya
Old 08-07-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I'm so glad I came here. I found an AA newcomer meeting this Saturday in town. I think I may go. I'm going to look over the Secular Connections later today too, when I have some more down time.

You all seem like wonderful people. I hope to learn much, and make some friendships with you all.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome!! I relate a lot to your post. I am 66 days sober today by using AVRT and this board. Wishing you the best!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR allesah.

Newcomers AA meeting sounds good to me.

Wishing you well.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Allesah:

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion". "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous".... see if you can identify.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Bob R
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks you all!

Congratulations to you on your 66 days, Britt!!! I think I will count too.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Go back and read some of my posts from when I joined SR. I am also 36 and a weekend binge drinker. I could go a week or two not drinking, but when I did drink I would go all out. I also woke up with bruises, texts that I wanted to make go away, and sexual situations with people not my husband.

I am now 97 days sober. It is possible, but I think it's harder when you are a binger bc going 7-10 days can be easy without drinking...it's easy to convince yourself when you are sober that you don't have a problem.

Welcome!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Allesah View Post
Thank you all for your warm welcome. I will look into those groups for sure. I may try AA if nothing else. Can't hurt to try, right?
Welcome to SR Allesah.

AA's 12 step program be worked as an agnostic or like myself as an implicit atheist. Also using this site
(SR) fully can be a personal program of recovery.

As an atheist I have found it extremely helpful to know how other atheist/agnostics have recovered by using AA's 12 Step program. Below is links to how they do it.
Agnostic/Atheist in AA There's no wrong way to be happy, joyous and alcohol free.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, Zencat!!! I will be looking into those sites later this evening!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

WELCOME ALLESAH, ur totaly in the right place and just by writing what u did is the begining of ur journey "a thousand mile journey begins with one step" and u just took it
keep ur mind open as u never know where u will end up around here.....its a gift a miricale its happiness its life and here u are a part of it. hang on and enjoy the ride...