Notices

Where to start on sr?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to start on sr?

This site is great. Im sure lives have been saved directly because of it. I would like to check it routinely everyday its just sometimes there are so many threads i dont know exactly where to start. Any ideas on like a routine? Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I start on a favourite forum like Newcomers forum...sometimes I start on 'New posts' (on the blue toolbar across the top of every page) which is every post since my last visit...

It's whatever feels right to you Ttal

D
Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. Kind of a silly question but sometimes i am just overwhelmed.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll get more comfortable with the threads as you check in each day.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ttal - you've found a very supportive, understanding place full of people SO willing to help and share.

Joining a message board and being unfamiliar with threads/people is always overwhelming at first... but regular visits will have you comfortable with how things are here in no time. I usually start of with Newcomers, too, and then move on to Alcoholism. I sometimes check new posts... but not always. Then, if I have more time, I'll check some other boards like Friends and Family or Mental Health.

Go wherever you want to go... feel at home. All the best to you on your sober journey x
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sometimes I start on a favourite forum like Newcomers forum...sometimes I start on 'New posts' (on the blue toolbar across the top of every page) which is every post since my last visit...

D
Welcome! Glad to have you with us. My approach is the same as Dee's. Although sometimes I mix it up, and check out blogs, although I don't have one.

SR is my favorite virtual neighborhood to visit. I find this place an incredible support and resource. The moderators do an excellent job keeing it a safe, helpful place for all of us.

Again, glad you are here. Feel free to not only read, but post. It will make it more engaging for you, and surely assist you on your journey.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Thanks, Dee. I had not even used the New Posts link before!

I have always started with the Newcomers forum and then branched out from there. I will have to give this New Posts link a whirl ow that I know it's there.

Welcome to SR, Ttal! Best wishes to you.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you joined the class of August, yet/ If not, that would be a good place to start. I check my class's posts every time I come on SR. My classmates are always supportive and in the same "place" as I am. Good luck to you, SR has been a big help to me for 7 months.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by lfh4555 View Post
I don't know why the exclamation point is up there -- maybe I've reached my quota for the day.
I didn't know the answer to your question, but it made me want to find out. This is what I think: when you reply to a post, a text window opens up so you can type. Below that text box are a selection of smilies like the Thank You, You Rock, Happy B. And below that is a selection called 'Post Icons', each selectable with a radio button. One of those selections is the exclamation mark icon.

You're welcome.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Every day I come back I just click on "new posts" up at the top and i go through all of the pages (sometimes there are a lot!) and anything that interests me i will open up in a new window and read and/or reply to it. this is a good way to kill some time as well as stay away from anything you dont want to pick up!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I start with the Newcomers to Recovery threads, more often than not just to welcome a new person, then I'll check out the month I got sober, which happens to be located under the Newcomer's threads in one called Newcomer's Daily Support Threads unless you started in the current month, which is located in the Newcomers to Recovery threads. confused yet?

Scroll where ever you want! Lots to read, but remember to scroll down from the Newcomers to Recovery threads, there's games, one on books, mental health, family and friends, one for men only, one for women only, another on dreams and several other threads.

It took me a while to really be able to find these threads in the first several months of recovery, as I was not able to read as fast as I can now!

Grab some coffee and just surf SR!

Glad you are here!

Hugs & love,
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Some people have already offered tips. I usually check out the Newcomers to Recovery and then the Alcoholism pages first. They are the most active.

Part of this forum is mutual support. If I am going to respond to someone's post, I try to find out a little bit more about them before I post. If you click the member name, and then public profile, it will bring you to their page. The tab "About Me" might give you some general information and then the "Forum Activity" tab will show you their posts. If you click on the number, it will list out their posts in chronological order.

You might find some info by doing this that will make your reply more helpful/insightful and also answer any questions you might have wanted to ask. The other side of this is that you may find someone with whom you strongly identify after reading their posts and may want to PM (private message) them.

Again, welcome.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I just use a couple words, keep coming on ,like all the time you can

And you'll devople your own routine.