Notices

AA Question

Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Question

So there are no beginner's meetings by me and I really want to go, need to go tonight. Would a closed step meeting be appropriate? I have only been to a couple aa meetings and one was for women and one people were speaking. Would I fit in at a step meeting when I haven't even started the steps? Any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's absolutely okay to go a step study even if you haven't started the steps. In fact, going to that meeting will give you an idea of what the steps are all about..especially if they happen to be reading/studying any of the first three steps. If they are on any other step, then just listen and check it out. The most important thing is that you go to the meeting and expose yourself to more recovery. You don't have to understand everything the other members talk about right away. That's what being a newcomer is all about. Like my sponsor told me after coming back from a relapse, "Embrace your newness; this is a time of learning for you." So go to the step study and post on here what it was like! I'm sure other people will be wondering just like you are
Old 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

All you need to go to a closed meeting is a desire to stop drinking. My advice would be to go to any meeting you can for a while. Nice if you need to choose between 2 or more meetings but just go. Oh... and let people know you are new, it helps.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go, and enjoy.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Go, read, listen, and get back on your even keel now.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Quitforme, there are AA meetings here in the chat room tonite, but just pick a meeting and start going, you'll figure it out.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I loved the step meetings in the beginning , really got me to understand what they are all about. And the discussion meetings ,12x12;s,Big Book, ect. I just kept going one because I liked being around sober people that is what I wanted, and then they were showing me how they did and do it.

Hope on the train, I think you'll like it.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys I figured going to any meeting would be better than not going at all but just wanted some insight/ advice. You all rock!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

The meetings on SR are not AA meetings.

any AA meeting works. they are all informative!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope your meeting went well. At first, I thought that random step meetings would be weird too but I find I get something out of most meetings. One of my step meetings goes back to step one every time a new member attends which I like. Never hurts to go back to basics.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, why not go to a step meeting and/or a speakers meeting, or indeed anything else which is available, and talk with the folks there about the various options available in your area. Chances are you will get some friendly input. Good luck.

W.