Notices

day 1

Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1

Hi. This is my first time posting and my first day sober. I've tried to quit drinking so many times but this time I know I have to do it for real. My kids deserve a sober mom. And I'm really tired of feeling physically sick. I hope this forum will help me stay motivated.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine too. I have no husband. No kids. No pets. Just me. And I desperately need to get sober.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ca. I'm glad you found us. There's so much support and understanding here.

Welcome to you, too, toast.

I wish you both all the best on your sober journey.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of helpful information and great support. I am also on day 1...for probably the 5th time...just hang in there, keep reading and do whatever it takes.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello CA and Toast:

I suggest you Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi! You'll find that there are lots of us Moms on here. The support and information you'll find on SR is invaluable. I'm on day ten and know that without support, I wouldn't have much of a chance...I'd tried that route before.
Are you thinking of getting into an AA group?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome ca3726 and Toast12!

Nothing too much to add apart from hello, as the other guys have said the site is wonderful and, importantly, is here 24/7 - with having members from all over the world, there's always somebody here to talk.

Please feel free to post lots and tell us your stories if you like.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Since you want this for real, I hope you take the suggestions you'll get here. There are so many different programs look into them. And you have found a great support network here.

I am a proud memeber of AA , and wouldnt be here without it.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have tried AA a couple of times, but I just didn't feel comfortable there. Maybe I should try it again. I just don't think its for me.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Do you think you a alcoholic or drunk ? I was and am , I fit in with that critiera like a glove.

I hope you do give it another whole hearted shot, it cant hurt. And if you find you like AVART or RR something like that . Thats awesome also, just get active in something to help you do this.

Routing for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I definately think I have a drinking problem. I have known that for awhile. I don't know what AVART and RR are. I've heard the terms but could you explain? Or point me in the right direction to learn about these?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

ca and toast,

ca I hated AA until I got serious about quitting. I also stopped using AA after my first three months of sobriety.

I did an in hospital detox and you need to be aware that if you feel very badly to go to an ER. I quit a three pack a day smoking habit too as long as I was getting drugs to make withdrawals safer and easy. I am a guy but liken it to having a baby natural or with a spinal block or other pain meds. It is against my religion to go through extreme discomfort and expose myself to danger of seizures etc. My religion? I am a devout practicing coward!

Once detoxed I had my family, wife, and best friend support as well as my two Doctors and counseling both group and one on one. I then joined AA and here on SR and now, almost two years later, I stick with just SR. I am recovered, but lots of folks here helped me through that tough first six months. Then let me know a lot of the longer term healing was normal and called PAWS.

Here is my point. I had done the daily I will quit . . . tomorrow for years. I decided that doing the same thing that never worked before was not going to get me any results different than before.

So I decided that I not only needed to quit, but that if I did not, I would kill myself with it eventually because it is slow suicide, and I decided I am not suicidal.

There are as many different approaches to quitting and recovery methods as there are alcoholics and problem drinkers who can't quit or won't. I just decided to quit for good, and that shocks some folks who harbor some kind of crazy hope that they can take a break, make a show of it for a few months for whatever reason, and then somehow be a normal alcohol drinker.

I have bad news for you. We can't, and that is quoted as the number one reason for relapses. Running a close second is that some bad event or stressor "made" them "need" a drink or thirty to get through it.

Like all of us, I started in despair of having the willpower, and in desperation reached out like you are doing now too. If you are desperate enough, and have had enough, you will say ENOUGH!

And whatever it takes, you will find you already had enough of it.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Itchy
Thank you for your response. I want so badly to quit but I don't feel very good right now. I have an awful headache, chills, & I'm nauseous. I don't need an er, but this isn't fun and the scary thing is I know a drink would make me feel better. How do you get through the first few days without drinking?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome ca and toast. It's wonderful you found SR. This is a great place that will help you find the courage and hope you need to quit. We've all been there, and we get what you're going through.

Ca - Is it possible for you to see a doctor? Detoxing can be dangerous. I'm glad you have the desire to stop - you'll never regret making this decision. You can do it!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can't see a doctor about this. Very few people know I have this problem, and even the ones who do don't think its a problem. I live in a small town and I don't want it getting out that I'm an alcoholic. That may sound stupid but its how I feel. I have to do this on my own.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

check these out. ..

And as far as anybody knowing, just go a town over to the ER which they have to treat you no matter what, and be honest with a doctor for detox. They wont go back to your town and spread the word that your a alcoholic.

You can be free.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome CA and Toast. You will find lots of support here! CA, I also think my kids deserve a sober mom. We can do this!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome ca and Toast!! SR has been invaluable to me - it is a great place. Best wishes to both of you. Take care.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcoem to you both ca and toast

ca
I don't know what AVART and RR are. I've heard the terms but could you explain? Or point me in the right direction to learn about these?
The term is actually AVRT, not AVART

You can find out more about Rational Recovery, and its AVRT technique, in our secular forum...

Secular Connections

you'll also find out about other non 12 step programme there like SMART
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ca3726 View Post
I have tried AA a couple of times, but I just didn't feel comfortable there. Maybe I should try it again. I just don't think its for me.
See if something else will do ......

AA will be there if you need it.

All the best.

Bob R