SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   4 Weeks today! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/264484-4-weeks-today.html)

Julynine 08-05-2012 05:18 AM

4 Weeks today!

Well, not a drop of alcohol has passed these lips in the past 4 weeks and I am feeling pretty proud of myself. Like most people, I've had a real craving for sweet things (correction.... For anything edible) and I've probably gained a few pounds.......but one thing at once.

I actually think that my past failed sobriety attempts have helped me to understand the pitfalls (and there are many) and I have learnt from them this time. There are 3 pieces of advice that I remind myself of whenever I need to.....

1) Never, ever question the decision to quit drinking. Just do not go there!
2) keep it simple and don't try and do too much.
3) Become the man you want to be, not the man you've become!

I've had some good and bad days over the past 4 weeks and I know that will continue for some time to come. This time however, I'm prepared. I'm not going to go through this again, I deserve better. The bad days will become fewer and as long as I keep the focus, do not become complacent and talk about my problem with friends like you I know I can beat this!

The very best to you all in your own journey and thanks for listening

Julynine

:thanks

benice 08-05-2012 05:24 AM

Well done Julynine! CONGRATULATIONS!

lilyrosemary 08-05-2012 05:35 AM

congratulations! its a much better life without alcohol. God bless you! : )

MrsKing 08-05-2012 06:34 AM

Congratulations! That's wonderful, good for you. It sounds like you have a fantastic attitude and a very practical way of looking at this... I'm right with you on that, and # 1 on that list is SUCH an important part of being sober (or at least for me, anyway) and #3 has also been something that I've told myself many a time... "you are you NOW, not then," is something I say silently quite often, if I'm feeling regret. All the best to you and congrats again!

nonblondechef 08-05-2012 06:47 AM

Love, love, love that post. Keep up the fantastic work Julynine!

changer 08-05-2012 06:52 AM

congrats!! that first month is really hard, and ya got that down:)
your list is great, too.
#2 is big for me- i've always pressured myself to get an absurd amount of things done or i felt worthless...really nitpicky crap like regrouting the bathroom immediately. then i would of course feel overwhelmed and when i felt overwhelmed i would drink my brain quiet.
so now it's one thing at a time. i don't even make lists anymore because they stress me out too much;)
anyhow! congrats to you!!! sounds like a day for ice cream!
(not that everyday doesn't sound like a day for ice cream. good lord, i got the cravings for sweet stuff, too)

seanie1888 08-05-2012 07:02 AM

Nice 1 july9

Auvers 08-05-2012 07:05 AM

Great going! The thoughts you express are similar to ones I have right now, I have just a few weeks longer than you in sobriety. The person you are becoming . . . That's a strong motivator. One thing at a time, doing it well, that is success!

jobei 08-05-2012 07:30 AM

Well done! The beginning is the hardest part!

Live2Run25 08-05-2012 07:47 AM

very nice job!!

TorontoGuy28 08-05-2012 07:50 AM

Good for you !! Congrats !!:c011:

goldiilocks 08-05-2012 07:54 AM

Congratulations!!! I know that has to feel awesome! Have you started to see an improvement in other areas of your life? I'm sure it's easier to face the bad days now, being sober makes us more aware of our reactions and actions in the game of chess we call life.

:danse1b: :You_Rock_

SlimSlim 08-05-2012 07:56 AM

Julynine:

Great post and congratulations on your milestone. Looking in my crystal ball, I see many more in your future :bigok:

"1) Never, ever question the decision to quit drinking. Just do not go there!"

One thing for people to keep in mind is when a voice in your head questions the decision to quite drinking, it is the addict's voice talking, not yours. The addict is not your friend, so ignore that voice, and as Julynine says "Just do not go there!" No point in arguing with a voice that won't listen to reason.

Way to go, Julynine
:c011:

Tiffany66 08-05-2012 08:05 AM

Way to go Julynine...I am at day 8 of no alcohol...have been doing it on my own...did you do this on your own or did you go to the doctor and/or meetings of some sort? Finding its getting harder....

hypochondriac 08-05-2012 05:30 PM

Well done Julynine!! :a122: Great advice too :) x

Dee74 08-05-2012 05:32 PM

Congratulations - great stuff! :)

D

Stride34 08-05-2012 05:58 PM

Congrats!

artsoul 08-05-2012 09:40 PM

Fantastic, Julynine! I really like your "3 pieces of advice"! Good job!:c011:

blueshades 08-05-2012 09:50 PM

I will remember these tips. It looks like you've gained tremendous insight not just from the last four weeks, but from other attempts at sobriety. Your post gives me hope!

Continued best wishes to you.

sugarbear1 08-06-2012 06:33 AM

Keep moving forward!

Congrats on 4 weeks!