Notices

It's a hard fight

Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face It's a hard fight

I have said the same words a million times after a night of binge drinking, "that was my last time drinking" then a day later it's right back to excuses. I have been 2 days sober and I read these posts about people being 7 days, 14, days 30 days and so forth I feel like that is so hard. I am determined for sure since I have health issues and have had health issues, you think that would be enough for me to stop in the first place but it's wasn't. It's a catch 22, it's nice being sober its just that stupid devil on my shoulder that annoys me. I have to be strong and remember it to shall pass.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR helped me to get from day two, day three to over 5 years now

It's very possible - it made a great deal of difference to me to know I wasn't alone, and to know I could call on the collective support, ideas, and wisdom here anytime

glad to have you with us too, secondchances

D
Old 08-05-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Secondchance. 7 days, 14 days, 30 days - you can have all of those and more if you are determined and want it badly enough. I am now on day 127 (I think - I'm not great at working these things out I'm four months sober) and you can definitely do that, if I can. There is no magic bullet, though many people swear by AA. I have used AVRT to help combat those excuses - I've learned to understand that the voice that tells me "it's OK to have one" or "It'd be silly not to have a drink and celebrate for such a special occasion" is not actually me, it is my addiction talking, and due to recognising that voice I have been able to listen to it, let it pass, and not even consider acting upon it. Cravings or urges are not commands and you do not have to carry anything out just because your addiction is telling you a glass of whatever would be nice right now. I'm actually using it right now to give up smoking, too (I'm on day 5 for that) and it's going really well.

Don't let that devil rule you - rule it. You can do this.

All the best on your sober journey x
Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Secondchance2, have you ever thought about putting some rules at your place? No alcohol, put no alcohol on ID, clean house, exercise and eat healthier just to name a few? Also reward yourself something special for stay sober every week, like a movie or dinner.

It's only hard if you make it hard for yourself.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Secondchance2 View Post
I have said the same words a million times after a night of binge drinking, "that was my last time drinking" then a day later it's right back to excuses. I have been 2 days sober and I read these posts about people being 7 days, 14, days 30 days and so forth I feel like that is so hard. I am determined for sure since I have health issues and have had health issues, you think that would be enough for me to stop in the first place but it's wasn't. It's a catch 22, it's nice being sober its just that stupid devil on my shoulder that annoys me. I have to be strong and remember it to shall pass.
How is that working for you? ..... I had to surrender.

Going to AA meetings got and kept me sober for over 23 yrs. Might just work for you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

That voice that tells you to forget about it and drink is not your friend. That voice wants to rule you and trick you to keep you fooled. There are several different pathes to sobriety try one and go. Whether its AA, AVRT, Rational Recovery, SMART, theres is more but take some action towards sobriety. Don't give up hope, many people have relapsed before staying sober. Just use half the energy you use to get tour drink towards sobriety and just maybe you won't have to pick up again.

Keep posting and keep reading. Don't give up hope!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Secondchance2 View Post
Hi Secondchance,

The part I highlighted in bold is the key to me. If everybody who gave up thought that 7, 14 or 30 was easy, the problem wouldn't be what it was. The reason you hear about people mentioning these is because they are milestones, and milestones ain't easy to get to!

Anybody who has this condition/disorder/disease - whatever - understands that it isn't easy, it's damn near impossible. The cliche is one day at a time, but it's only said so often because of how true it is. If you set yourself up looking at x amount of days/weeks/months/years - the chances are you won't get there. You can only keep busy doing, rather than keep busy thinking.

And you're right, it will pass. It always does pass. No matter if you need to drink because someone has died, you miss somebody, your back hurts, it's raining... it will always pass because it is not you. Your inner body does not crave the drink, the voice inside does. When it starts talking to you, yell back twice as strong by doing something proactive!

All the best
Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You all are so great and supportive. I am taking all your advice and it is working last night I did the AVRT and it was hard but it worked! The best part is this morning it felt even better. I wasn't hung over and instead of beating mysf up I fell really proud. I have such a strange situation. Not many people know I have a problem because I hide it well and it would be detrimental for our business only my husband knows and he is supportive in all my efforts. This forum makes me fell like I can express myself where I technically can't. I am keeping strong. The night time is always so hard for me. The voice comes at night. I am preparing for the fight. Like you say one day at a time. I can't look any further than that right now.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay, good for you.

And, yes, recognizing that nasty little voice is a huge step forward. You can learn to hear it, recognize it for what it is and dismiss it. That's how it loses its power over you.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is hard in the early stages. Stay with us. Those days soon add up and the longer you go, the better it feels, it really is true!
Thinking of you x
Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Glad you with us.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are lucky to have a supportive husband! Keep reading and posting!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join the family, secondchance. We promise it does get easier as you go along. Those first few days are very difficult, but even though you may not realize it - you're getting stronger every day. It really is good to be among people who understand what we're going through - you never have to be alone with your concerns & feelings.