Notices

New here and on day 1

Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and on day 1

Hi, this is the first time I've written or joined something like this. My history- fathers side has serious addiction issues. Three uncles died from alcohol related diseases. My father was a serious addict but got sober 12 years before dying of lung and esophogial cancer related to smoking/drinking. My brother is an addict (wont admit it). I too am and am admitting that right now. I had my first drink in 7th grade. My first really drunk was 15 and I was raped that night by a guy I knew my whole life who actually was my first kiss 2 years prior. Since then drunk often. Weekends and summers in HS, Thursday-Saturday from 18-28 and sometimes daily - 3-4x a week since. I polish off a bottle of in a sitting during the week and double that on weekends. Its much worse since I had my daughter a year ago. She wouldnt nurse, she was very fussy and we still have sleeping issues (up 2-5x a night). My husband and I are fighting all the time (he drinks too). His dad is dying as is my uncle (lung and prostate cancer). My family is completely disfunctional and I'd love to move away from them because they add to our stresses but he wont budge from here.

I'm going to do my best at not drinking. I've tried before. Today is day 1 with no alcohol...
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome !

No doubt there is a genetic predisposition to addiction, that is the case in my family tree as well.

Glad to hear you have been able to admit to being an alcoholic, that take courage.

Please seek out an AA meeting and start making new sober friends.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I, tto, started drinking at an early age. I went to a party and it lasted for thirty years.

I welcome you here and hope you find the support you need. It's a great place.

Many of us have quit alcohol, so it can be done.
Congratulations on day one. Post as often as you need to.

Wishing you the best.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 With the support from this site and my addiction counselor I've been happily sober for over two years now. If I can do it, so can you. Believe in yourself.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome glad you are coming to some grips with your addiction. I too started drinking young , way before I remember picture and stories where told to me. First drunk was around 7 , sipping everyones wine all day. I even have a picture of me at 5 naked on the kitchen table chugging a beer. Its was concidered cute back then . Little did we all know that I would be doing the same thing at 35.

I hope you look into some help and programs to stay sober, I really believe you cant do it on your own. I use AA today and wouldnt be here without it.

You too can be free.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Smsahm

Have you thought about getting any support? It sounds like you've been having a tough time and I'm a great believer that you cannot have too much support Try AA, here on SR, maybe an addiction counsellor? Have you spoken to anyone about quitting drinking yet? x
Old 08-03-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome smsahm

I'd agree with Hypo that maybe some external support might help whether it be a recovery group, or your Dr, a counsellor...

Regardless on what you decide there tho, you'll find a lot of support and ideas here

glad you've joined us

D