Notices

My journey to sobriety starts here and now.....

Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 And congrats on getting thru the weekend sober.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Congratulations! Sober life is a good lofe especially when you wake up the next day and not only remember what you did but also enjoyed yourself! Keep steppin and keep postin!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all, I've made it to my DAY 9 ..... and physically, I feel better than I can ever remember. Working on my 90 AA meetings in 90 days..... I've been every day since my sobriety date of 1/1/12. I'm beginning to work my Step Packets with my AA sponsor, and that will help me really think about and put down on paper what I've been through with all the alcohol abuse over the years, and how I can truly turn my life over to God.

In addition to AA and the support I'm getting from my wife, I really enjoy reading the threads here on SR. Reflecting on how much we all have in common and how so many of you are here to help others, really lifts me up. Thanks all!!!

Lord, help me get through today ... One day at a time!! I am so looking forward to my sober life!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi, Johnny! every sober day is one whole day worth of success. day by day, u will harvest a huge success. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Johnny,

You are doing great....welcome to SR! Yep, reading the posts on SR has been key to my success. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you, johnny - for this huge accomplishment. It'll keep getting better as you go along.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats on nine days, Johnny. That's great!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sorry, my sobriety date is 8/1/12......
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for your support.
Today is my day 14!! I'm doing well; far better than I expected.
I was around alcohol tonight, and did not have the urge to partake. I'm traveling out of state on business with several co-workers, and they each had 3 beers with dinner, and picked up a 6-pack afterwards for the hotel. I had diet coke with my dinner, and felt great! I'll feel great tomorrow morning too!! In the old days, I would not only drink beers at dinner, but I would have a whiskey bottle in my hotel room, and drink most or all of it by myself in my room before and after dinner. I'd probably be so drunk by now I'd be nearly passed out.
TWO WEEKS sober and I feel great!! Still going to AA, which is helping immensely. Thanks again to all of you for your support..
Johnny
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Very good work. Keep it up! Bravo!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I haven't gone anywhere, folks. I'm still lurking around SR, posting here and there, keeping up on others' stories, all the while piling days onto my sobriety! I am now 44 DAYS into my newfound sobriety, and am feeling GREAT! I truly never could envision my life without alcohol, and while I have my ups and downs, each day is getting better. I'm sitting here with a great big smile on my face, unlike 45 days ago when I was sitting in this very chair with tears that would not stop.

THis past 1 1/2 months have been WONDERFUL!! I have been spending so much more quality time with my wife and kids. I am not living in a fog any longer. I don't come home and immediately head to the liquor cabinet. My life no longer revolves around getting that next drink. I carry on intelligent conversation with my wife more than I did before. I am not "holed up in my own little private world" like I always was before. I am thoroughly enjoying going to my kids' sporting events (soccer games, football games), and am not hellbent on grabbing a drink on the way there and rushing to get home after the game to get more liquored up. My love life (with my wife of course!! ;-) ) is infinitely better. I am getting more things done around the house. I wake up feeling refreshed, not hungover!! I could go on and on, but you get the point...........

I would not have been able to maintain my sobriety without AA. I did not know what to expect when I went to that first meeting on 8/1/12. But the people I've met there have welcomed me with open arms, I have a sponsor, and am working the steps. So far, 43 meetings in 44 days! I actually feel a little lost and empty inside if I'm unable to attend on a given day. All I know is, it works for me, and I intend to keep going back.

I know I am very early in my sobriety and I have a lifetime to go. But I remain committed, with the ongoing help of SR and AA!!!....... Thanks to everyone for your support and fellowship!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning friends! I got a great night of sleep and feel refreshed this morning.

But at times it still feels that I'm on an emotional roller coaster. Thoughts of drinking pop into my head, and I push them away. I have a lot going on with closing out my late dad's estate, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. I've never mentioned it here before, but he passed away about a year ago. We were very close, and it seems my heavy drinking spiraled out of control in the year following his passing. His death was completely unexpected... died instantly from a blood clot 5 days after knee surgery. As executor of his estate, I'm having to wrap things up with an estate auction, packing up all the leftover stuff, paying the bills, lining up a realtor, etc. One way or another, I hope (WILL!!!) get through this without drinking. Going to AA meetings and/or praying to my higher power seems to help. One day at a time!
------> The take away here.... Do NOT take life for granted. We never know when it is our time. Hug your kids, moms, dads, brothers & sisters, friends, and tell them you love them! God bless all of you.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Johnny. I'm sorry for what you've had to deal with - losing your father unexpectedly must have been a terrible blow.

As you've already discovered, deciding to drink because we think it'll be comforting is a huge mistake. It never gives us the results we want or need. What seems like a quick fix only adds to our pain. You know that, though. Thanks for a helpful post.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Keep posting!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Still clean and sober after 78 days!!! Aside from a few months of (court-ordered) sobriety back in 2004 (when I had no intention of quitting long-term), this is the longest BY FAR that I have gone sober since probably 1982!!! And I feel great!! I have a clear mind, not obsessed with getting that next drink, my blood pressure is down to normal, I've lost about 10 pounds, my relationship with wife and family is much better, etc. etc.!

Well, I got through the estate auction, which was very emotional. It was tough for me and my brothers and sisters to see all the stuff from my dad's house get auctioned off.... stuff that has been in the family for decades. We just couldn't keep everything.... we all have families and houseful's of our own stuff, and nowhere to go with it. But still, tough seeing some of that stuff go. I did keep some special items, though, that I will always cherish. Such as his pool table, which was in the house when we moved in when I was 1 year old. Some old 1950's retro chairs (very cool!) Dad's 1949 Browning semi-auto 12 gauge that he shot many deer with over the years, including the 1967 trophy buck that ranked near the top of the Boone & Crockett record book in Indiana in '67! My dad taught me how to hunt, and some of my fondest memories are of us in the woods.

Now all I have left is his house to sell. Like I said, this is the house we moved into in 1965 when I was 1 year old. See, all my brothers and sisters have moved away, my mom and dad and all grandparents are gone. All that's left is that old house. I just want to get it all over with. Sell it, close out the estate, and move on. But I will move on CLEAN AND SOBER, and for that I am grateful!! The way I drank, I never thought it possible that I could lead a sober life. But now, through SR and the rooms of AA, I'm doing it!!!! YEAH! I think my mom and dad would be proud.

Talk to you later,
Johnny

Sober date Aug. 1, 2012
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got to keep some special things Johnny.
I hope you find a buyer for the house soon

congrats on your 78 days

D
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Well, we have some work to do before putting it on the market. We stripped that absoluely horrible 1970's vinyl flowered wallpaper off the kitchen walls, which now need to be washed down and painted. Some patching of nail-holes here and there, a little more painting, a whole-house professional cleaning, and then a sign can be put up in the front yard! At least I will be more efficient on all that work by being sober!

Life goes on.......
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome Johnny.
There's lots of support here for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Awesome Johnny....Keep on keeping on!....Congrats on your sober time!!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Go johny go