Notices

Long time coming

Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Long time coming

Hey everyone, I have been reading these forums for probably over a year now but never thought to make an account and post my story. I am a 24 year old alcoholic, and I am not ashamed to admit that. I haven't had anything completely terrible happen to me because of my drinking, but it certainly has taken over my life at times.

I started trying to quit about two years ago, mostly unsuccessfully. After a few times in detox I eventually landed in rehab this past December by my own choice. I have had plenty of one month dry stints, but around that 32-35 day range is usually when I crack.

My most recent slip up came on my birthday, but I have been sober now for 11 days, and today (well tonight haha) I stopped my newest habit of chewing tobacco. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to those of you who have kept me feeling ok in times of self doubt, your posts mean more than you probably think. I hope everyone is enjoying their sobriety tonight and I look forward to posting here in the future.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things prodigy - good to have you with us

D
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Wow reading for a year. So glad you joined up .

Welcome aboard.

Glad you have not had serious consequences "yet" from drinking. Being the progressive disease those "yets" are always out there if you were to continue.

Keep coming on and posting.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome to the forums Prodigy. glad you're posting with us now!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you decided to step out and say hi, Prodigy.

It's fantastic that you are taking action now. It does get worse. Just a question of when, really. I certainly wish I had seen the warning signs—looking back, there were plenty of them. But no complaints. I'm just glad to be free of it. Just wait and see—you're going to be really grateful you didn't give up.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

YEah usually the worst thing for me is the terrible anxiety and me being a HUGE hypochondriac. I literally think the worst of everything, I need to stay away from searching diseases on the internet haha. Thank you guys for your kinds words, I have seen what just a month of sobriety can do for the body and mind, I just want to make sure I stay straight this time.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Prodigy!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I need to stay away from searching diseases on the internet haha.
I did a lot of that before I finally quit—Dr. Google diagnosed me as terminal on multiple occasions. I actually imagined my own funeral a few times (jeeesh, I haven't thought about that in so long, not sure I ever reflected on it after I stopped.. wow...). Anyway, it was great to finally see a real doctor, and put all those worries to rest.