Notices

Phantom Hangover?

Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phantom Hangover?

Hi all today marks my 8th day sober. I have had some issues sleeping but otherwise have felt great. Today I feel like i did when I spent the night drinking, foggy, tired and irritable. Even my face appears as if I'm hungover. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Really not sure why I feel this way.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very normal-it cleared for me bout day12/13
congrats on 8 days
Old 08-02-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally normal. I saw it as one last long hangover (my second months was characterized by a lovely hangover headache). I even had times where I'd wake up parched, like after a night of really heavy drinking. It will pass though.

Well done on day 8! x
Old 08-02-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's pretty common - often it's because people are dehydrated - make sure you're getting enough fluids and not drinking too much coffee

D
Old 08-02-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That appears to be normal. I had that a few times, I woke up wondering how much I drank the night before and realized I never drank! Was very surreal. I also had some very vivid dreams the first week, but those went away so far. I know a lot of people dream of alcohol when they stop, I never did, once I dreamt I found some vodka but I put it down and walked away. Now I am 23 days sober and that has stopped.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yup as I comment from your other post on sleeping.

Oh yes it will

It always took me several weeks after quitting. To get to a somewhat normal sleep pattern. But it does and you'll sleep so good you wont believe it. To just simply go to sleep when your tired instead of passing out which is what I do when I am drinking. Plus I would have phantom hangovers every now and then for a couple months.

Congrats on 6 days.
_

So congrats on another day.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi BlueRain! I definitely had that for about a month, on & off. Complete with the panicky 'what happened last night' thoughts, and dry mouth. I was so thankful when I realized it was just my imagination.

Congratulations on your 8 days sober - that's wonderful.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getting the "sober hangovers" is very annoying and I've experienced them numerous times myself as well.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since July 13, 2012

One last hangover...
Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

I sometimes get sober 'hangovers', but that is soon remedied with a nice cup of coffee
Before... meaning 'real hangovers' ... forget it, I was usually wrapped up in my duvet, moaning and trying not to throw up.... happy times!

Many congratulations on 8 days, fantastic!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Only when I was sleepwalking down to the local tavern . . just kidding

Just make sure you are getting plenty of water and good nutrition, and things should just work themselves out. Hope you feel better soon
Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks all thought it was losing it. Glad its not just me
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I have the same thing happen to me after i have a drinking dream and i'm nearly five months sober! I wake up with a hangover but it passes really quickly. I'm even quite sure that i drank the night before for the first few minutes i'm awake and have woken up crying. Thank goodness it's only been dreams! Sometimes there's a headache and a mildly crummy mood that sticks around but that's it. Just another part of recovery to deal with.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm on day 18 and have felt crappy for last two days. It does almost feel like a hangover. Feel exhausted,cranky, and like I'm slogging through the day. Up until yesterday I was feeling so much better so this was a surprise. Good to know I'm not going crazy but sorry anyone is dealing with this.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was getting those the firs week or so. I also was convinced I had drank the night before. Unlike real ones, they are a lot quicker and easier to get over! I've found I can't seem to drink enough water!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I took some multivitamins the first week to help with fatigue too, apparently we deplete them through drinking. Your body is healing! Hooray!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My experience was that for the first few days after stopping drinking - mornings were like a hangover from years ago when I just had a few drinks - each day getting successively better.

I am at day 29 and I am generally feeling good in the morning. Still get some weirdness during the day and some strange feelings.

Exercise works wonders. Blood pressure, blood sugar, sweating out toxins and replacing fluids is all good - and it just makes me feel better. My solution, may not be for everyone.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

congrats on 8 days - I'm just over 11 and a half months in and I get these 'hangovers' about once a month, they also tend to come after a using or drinking dream. These make it a lot worse as they also gie me the anxiety and guilt when i wake, but after half hour or so, you realise that you are strong and another day has been done - and it all seems worth it