Notices

The answer is....A good nights sleep!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The answer is....A good nights sleep!

For the last 3 mornings this week I've woke up with that brilliant feeling of having the perfect nights sleep. For me, this is one of the big positives of sobriety that we can sometimes overlook.

When I drank, i would never sleep well. Even if I had 8 hours sleep I would still be tired throughout the day if I drank the night before. I would regularly wake up at 'stupid o'clock' in the morning and then be tired from lunchtime onwards.

I'm only 4 weeks in but already i'm starting to get my energy back (especially in the p.m). I put this down to getting quality sleep, a full 8 hours at least. I wake up with a smile (well almost) and with that nice feeling (which i'm struggling to explain) you get when you know that you've had a good night.

No more waking up in the early hours or an elbow in the back from Mrs Julynine because my snoring is waking up the kids (Mrs J. very happy about this) and so much more energy to get things done. I forgot how good (and essential) sleeping is.

That's it. Enjoy your sleep!

Julynine

Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I certainly agree with the improved quality of sleep. Since the anxiety virtually disappeared, I no longer wake at 3:30 am with a racing mind and a pounding heart. The Resident Love Goddess says I no longer snore, so that means that the apnea has pretty much cleared up too. Both of these things have made a huge difference to my quality of life and general mood and outlook.

Oh boy, sleep!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sleep is beautiful when you are sober! When I drink though, it is alway interrupted and just terrible. When I wake from drinking I only look forward to when I can get some real solid sleep. I will wake at weird times like 2-5 am and just sit there thinking about nothing and being in pain. Can't stand that.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sleep is really important, of course. It's right up there with good diet and exercise. I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I also am glad you feeling so well. I hope you have some plans to help you stay that way.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Julynine - I could not agree with you more on this

I am three months in now and you know what it still gives me a thrill waking up without a hangover after having a proper sleep. It is one of the true wonders of sobriety.

Also waking up sober means I can now drive myself to the health club for a swim at 6:30am - Doing that three months ago would have been impossible and certainly not on my to do list.

Let's raise a morning cup of tea to sobriety every day.

Last edited by Hexipuff; 08-02-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

totally agree with you Julynine

I'm 1 month in and sleep is so deep,genuine,rejuvenating and relaxing

Sober is the new cool!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good sleep has the most amazing ripple effect
Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same here-it feels amazing, doesn't it?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad to read that your sleep schedule is not only normalizing, but becoming truly restful. I'm at Day Eight and have yet to get more than a few hours sleep on any given night. This is, essentially, my lone withdrawal symptom, but it's kind of a biggie. Sleep is one of those things that needs to be right so that about a dozen other things can be right down the road!

Continued best wishes.