Notices

Working out to get rid of cravings

Old 08-02-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working out to get rid of cravings

I had a big attack of nostalgia last night and started feeling like sitting down to a dumb horror movie with a 6-pack and some chinese take-out (it was my favorite form of drinking). I couldn't help but think it wouldn't be a big deal, wouldn't hurt anyone, etc...

It was too late to make a pot of tea (what I usually do when I want beer) since I was getting ready for bed, but I kept thinking about it until I finally decided to go do some pull-ups instead.

I did one set max reps and a few sets at half-max. The craving went away. I have some elbow pain today (it was on top of my usual work out), but it beats having to post that I got drunk...

Does anyone else do this?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

YES!!
It's not just exercise, either...it's really doing anything other than sit there and think about drinking/using.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Great post. Glad you have found ways to deal with things. I am still working on ways I can do the same. I have tried going for a walk. Listening to music. Call someone.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The idea of doing something positive for yourself can gather momentum, it will feed on itself. Exercise, diet, hobbies, new coping skills, all foster each other as we push forward into a new life of peace and hope. Getting started is the trick.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so good that you are learning new and healthy ways to deal with life. Good for you.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes, it helps tremendously.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yes, working out is my new 'vice' for all that ails me
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I find running works really well. I also work out, play guitar, work on my car. Anything to keep me busy and feeling good about myself.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I run 4-5x a week, 3.5 miles usually with a six-miler a couple days/week, and lift (mostly) three days a week, I'm trying to get down to highschool cross country weight (165-170ish lbs) so I can run races and maybe marathons someday.

(That'd be about a hundred pounds down from my heaviest weight. Probably take me until next summer. I always wanted to lose weight but the 1000+ liquid calories everyday weren't cooperating.)

The endorphins help kill cravings for booze.. Ice cream cravings, not so much though. Also, having a long-term self-improvement goal builds confidence and shows me tangible advantages of staying dry. Plus I gave up a hobby that took up all my free time I have a lot of space to fill!