SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   In the process of recovering opiate addict (new here) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/264182-process-recovering-opiate-addict-new-here.html)

BallsOutBetty 08-01-2012 07:55 PM

In the process of recovering opiate addict (new here)

Hi, I'm new here. Needing advice from fellow opiate addicts, especially those who have gone thru the whole suboxone bullsh....

My story:
At the age of 15 I was all about partying (getting drunk & smoking weed, having a good time). Been there done that many times. I always kept company with people older than me, more experienced, etc. At 17, I tried my first pill, Roxy 30mg, I fudging loved the feeling(!), the same reason why most addicts become addicted to a drug. Anyways I did about one a day after school with friends & more on the weekends. I had no idea about becoming dependent on anything that a doctor would prescribe. I know that's no excuse, but if I had done some research or had heard from someone I think I MIGHT have (maybe, possibly) been a little smarter about it. Anyways one pill turned into two, two turned into four. Four turned into seven a day. & obviously more if I had the money or a reason to celebrate. I would wake up in the morning to get ready for school (senior year of HS) feeling like straight **** so I either snort one before school or try to make it thru a couple classes. It got so bad sometimes I'd have to leave or skip school to feel better, it wasn't about getting high anymore it was to get by. I came so damn close to getting kicked out of school for missing too many days.
Like every addict I have had some VERY close encounters with the law. I realize how lucky I am everyday. I just try to keep it in my head that I don't have it that bad, there's always someone out there who's worse off than you are.
After 2 years of depending on roxys to get me thru each hour that went by, I decided a methadone clinic is not only cheaper, but also legal. The highest dose I got up to was 80mgs, & I stayed at that for a little less than a year & a half. I finally came clean with my parents who are very supportive, & began tapering from 80mgs to 45mgs in about a 6 month period (going down 5mgs every 3-4 weeks as recommended by the clinic doc). During this tapering process, I wasn't using anything other than methadone. So I tried to find detox programs that would take me, but none of them would accept me due to the fact that I was "not abusing" & therefore I "didn't need their services as badly as those who continue to abuse." which is complete **** in my opinion (sorry if you disagree) but I think that showed improvement & I had the motivation to get & stay off. So, about a week ago I FINALLY found a place (for profit of course) who would take me & detox me from the methadone. It's called New Vision & I hear they have a lot of them thru out the U.S. now. It was at a hospital, so I basically got everything I needed for withdrawals during my stay. They gave me Librium (for anxiety), Ativan (for when the librium didn't work), Clonidine (mainly for the hot & cold, clammy nasty feeling), trazadone (help me sleep), bentyl (stomach cramps), & suboxone. They had me on 12mgs of sub daily while there, & when I was discharged, the doc wanted to up me to 16mgs daily for some odd reason. Anyways I said **** that & have been on 8mgs since I got out on Friday, July 27th. I feel okay for the most part, just a bit weak & some hot/cold/clammy feeling but overall not too bad.

The whole point of this post is I need advice on how to taper down. I was given the suboxone 8mg films. Two days ago I went to a sub doc since the hospital only "stabilized" me aka detoxed me. This doctor is saying that the best & most successful way to get off is by being on suboxone for "9 months to a year" & do a slow taper. This does not sit well in my stomach, I think that is waaaaay too long a time to be on sub (at least for me, but everyone is different). I have heard some horror stories about people being on sub for long periods of time, & have done a lot of research.

I don't want to be on this poison for anymore than 3 weeks, tops. Yes I know it is a life saver for getting OFF of opiates all together, but I do not want to become dependent on sub as well.
Is there anybody out there who can recommend a good taper plan? Anyone who has experienced this whole suboxone process & has at least general knowledge about getting off quickly. I know that I am ready mentally, I am just scared to death of withdrawals. But I know the grass is sooo much greener on the other side & I can't wait to finally be off it ALL. I'm ready. I just need some help from someone who has actually gone thru this, not some doctor who sees me as nothing but a junkie/ money bags.

Sorry for ranting. I really wouldnt blame you if you didn't read this at all, sooooo long.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Betty

Dee74 08-01-2012 08:23 PM

Welcome again Betty

Like I said in the other thread we simply can;t give you medical advice here. It's against our rules.

If you don't trust your Drs advice is it possible for you to get a second opinion?

I have no firsthand experience to share but I did want to let you know we have other forums as well....this one may be of benefit to you to look at.

Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D

BallsOutBetty 08-01-2012 09:52 PM

That's exactly what I meant to sign up for, but I have no idea how I got where I did. Never been on any kind of forum before.

Thanks, Ill definitely go over there.