Notices

Will sleep ever come easy again?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will sleep ever come easy again?

I've just finished day six of being sober and am feeling pretty great mentally and physically but still having a problem falling asleep. I was having pretty bad nightmares the first two or three days (hopefully they have stopped) and would wake at the slightest sound in panic mode. Now I just seem to can't fall asleep until around 4 am (which never seemed to bother me as long as there was beer a plenty) and wake around 7 am is this common when we stop drinking? Even with the couple of hours of sleep I do get I feel better than any hangover morning I've had. Just want to know when I will be able to sleep normally.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am wondering the same thing, Blue. It's like the alcohol is not there to numb us to sleep and we now must deal with the genuine feelings that come rushing in after a long day. I'm also enjoying the other benefits of sobriety too much to be deterred by sleeplessness but I have to wonder when things will normalize. I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Congrats on getting through Day Six. Tomorrow marks one full week!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh yes it will

It always took me several weeks after quitting. To get to a somewhat normal sleep pattern. But it does and you'll sleep so good you wont believe it. To just simply go to sleep when your tired instead of passing out which is what I do when I am drinking. Plus I would have phantom hangovers every now and then for a couple months.

Congrats on 6 days.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to know I'm not only one struggling with the sleeping issue Blue I've been trying to find ways to make myself relax after work. I was driving home from work tonight (passing by the dreaded 3B's) as I've come to call them (the bars) when Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb came on and I realised that what I had become comfortably numb. Now I'm feeling a whole range of emotions some good some bad but am glad to say I'm feeling again with a clear heart mind and body. Hope all is well with you and your family 1 week today!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks India just to know real sleep will come back is a great relief!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueRain View Post
Thanks India just to know real sleep will come back is a great relief!
It sure is!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

About relaxing... Running does it for me. Perhaps I've replaced one addiction with another but is a hell of a lot healthier. I put on my Ipod and just run and I forget about everything and everyone I just focus on pushing myself and met feet hitting the pavement and the way it feels just to get lost. Give you a high that's a hell of a lot better then any drug ever will too. A natural high, really happiness not that fake stuff.

Maybe something like running will work for you? Biking, swimming, painting...there are tons of options. Just something you can get lost in. Something that can just make you forget about things for a while. For me that's how I used alcohol.

About sleep-- Yes it is very common to have issues sleeping. It took my several weeks to get used to sleeping without a nightcap (or 12) and once I did it was such an amazing night sleep! Seriously you forget how great natural sleep makes you feel! And how amazing it is to wake up well rested and not hung over.

You will get there. In the mean time just lie down whenever you feel tired, if you can. Sometimes I found it easier to grab a nap after work or in the middle of the day on my days off because there's less pressure to sleep then.

I also was given an IPAD by my company and it has this great App called sleep pillow. They're on IPHONE's as well I'm sure (I don't have one of those but I think it's all the same Apps) but any kind of sound machine or or actual sound machine might help. The sound helps relax my thoughts and drowns out noisy neighbors and the constant sirens on my street.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fen thanks for the advice I work nights and come home with tons of energy thinking about joining my local Anytime Fitness and going after work to burn some of the energy I usually saved for all the drinks I would have normally had
Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to know I'm not only one struggling with the sleeping issue Blue I've been trying to find ways to make myself relax after work. I was driving home from work tonight (passing by the dreaded 3B's) as I've come to call them (the bars) when Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb came on and I realised that what I had become comfortably numb. Now I'm feeling a whole range of emotions some good some bad but am glad to say I'm feeling again with a clear heart mind and body. Hope all is well with you and your family 1 week today!
I'm still trying to get those after work stress reduction strategies lined up. The first step,for me, is avoiding my own version of the 3B's: the gas stations that sell the cheap wine that I would use to get a quick buzz. Generally, I have found that the more time that passes since the stressful events the easier it is to cope.

Do you work second shift? I work days but sometimes I don't get home until seven. One of my goals in the coming weeks is to start hitting the gym or the basketball court at least a few days a week. I get a great workout from yard work on the weekends, but I need to start setting aside some time just for me during the week.

Family and home are going pretty well now. I'm so thankful for the feeling that I am truly here, in the present, and truly living life with those that I love!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Blue its hard for me I work 3-11 so the 24 hour gym is my only option better than drinking I must say
Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Blue its hard for me I work 3-11 so the 24 hour gym is my only option better than drinking I must say
I work 3 to 11 too or 9PM to 9AM (AWFUL)! It's wicked tough. Some days I am able to get up early enough to do a quick hour at the gym before I go to work. But it sucks because I've always preferred the gym at night. I'm a night owl by nature (clearly since is 3:30 AM here, lol) so morning are tough for me.

Sometimes I'll go running at night or on my dinner break at work. Just to get in a quick work out. But I also work in an environment where I can grab a quick shower and have downtime to eat dinner at other times bedsides my break.

It is tough to get into a routine with this kind of work schedule tho. That's why I've picked up running, because it doesn't have hours. Maybe even one of those work out video's or getting a hoop in your driveway or yard or whatever if you have one. Then you can just come home and get in a quick half over before calling it a day.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey there, nice job on the first week! I'm going on week 6 now and sleep issues are really the main thing thats been bugging me. The surreal nightmares FINALLY stopped, so i'm not waking up like 4 times a night anymore. But falling asleep has been difficult. not every night but a few nights out of the week. I think our bodies are just not used to going to sleep on their own without the haze of alcohol. i've been writing letters, listening to music, or reading. that seems to help out alot. and exercise in the evening works good too! stay strong, the nightmares will go away and i'm sure easy sleep will come too
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fen- I belive i'm going to start hitting the gym up at night hopefully it will help me sleep better and help with the fact that i've been snacking and drinking so much soda this week i'm sure i'm going to regret it if i dont LOL

Ben- Thanks for the advice I've always been a reader and have almost finished 2 books in 4 days I think my eyes are going to pop out!

Glad to say I'm not drinking
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It does get better. One of my excuses for drinking was that I couldn't sleep without it. Ha! Anyways...at first, it was difficult. I was so out of touch with my own body that I didn't really know what tired felt like. I was waiting for that I can't hold my head up any longer feeling (intoxicated). Eventually I just started trying to go to bed at a semi-normal time and surprisingly, I fell asleep. Now I sleep really well. Better than I have in years. And it does make all of the difference in the world. I think I've been sleep deprived for years-looking back. So....hang in there.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Give it two weeks and you should be good.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Eventually your body will sort itself out and you'll start sleeping really well. The quality of your sleep will be better too. White noise helps a lot in the very beginning. All those clear thoughts can really keep you up at night You may also experience feeling very tired-that's been a major symptom for me. I think all the holding it together while drinking is mentally exhausting and when you stop you just need to make up for all the chaos and take it easy.

You may also have bizarre dreams. I had a weird one where I was with my friends drinking. I was aware it was a dream,so I could drink all I wanted. I turned the next one down. That's when I realized maybe all of this is sinking in
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

just to add to what everyone said. the sleep improves after the 2nd week or so.
i can now sleep perfectly well (no waking up, no nightmares or shakes) for a good 7-8 hrs.

working out is very important as well, any physical activity for that matter.

also, i know people who are very high functional in the gym and at work with only 5 hrs of sleep max per night (people who never really had any issues with alcohol or what have you). so you never know, you could be just one of those people that doesn't need a lot of sleep. this also tends to change as you stay sober for longer. if you feel great and rested after 5-6 hrs of peaceful sleep, then there's nothing to worry about.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, Blue, you should definitely join that 24-hour gym! I would have done the same save that we have a Y branch really close to the house and I should be able to make those hours work most days. I'm also blessedly close to some nice parks and trails. I hope to ramp up the physical activity as my body pain (hopefully) continues to improve.